• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Help ASAP please!! New to the group and to owning a M925A2. In anticipation of the flooding of Baton Rouge from hurricane Berry I pulled the truck out to stretch its legs. Drove 10-15 miles last couple days w no issues but on a quick outing today started to get a “low air “ alarm. At idle truck maintains about 30psi and 40-45 at high idle. Crawled every inch of the truck and don’t have any obvious air leaks. Do hear what I think is some air from the drivers side of the engine but hard to tell when engine is running. ANY help would be greatly appreciated as rivers are expected to rise in the next couple days and truck is disabled in a lower spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sure, you are on the wrong forum, but here is my opinion.

See the 1/4" line that comes out of the top of the compressor. Follow it up to the controller on the firewall, toward the passenger side. The control is about the size of a fist and has a plastic cap covering an adjusting screw. The control operates a valve in the top of the compressor. It gets water and debris in that line and affects the operation.

The obvious way to get them cleaned out is to take them both apart, clean and put them back together with fresh lubricant. The control is easy enough but the top of the compressor is a PITA. We will try the easy way on the compressor...but it may not work.

Take the line off at the top of the compressor and blow air from the other end. You should see some nasty stuff come out. If you can, find a way to funnel in some air tool oil (Marvel Mystery Oil) into the top of the air compressor while it's off so it can soak while you clean take apart and clean the controller.

Take the control off to clean it (very easy) Pay attention to the setting and after cleaning and a light film of lube (I use red grease) on all internal parts, put it back together with about the same number of turns on the adjustment screw and put it back on. You can fine adjust the air pressure later.

Now on the line that comes up, put it back on at the compressor and work more oil into that line at the top. Put it back together. Start it up and run it. Set engine rpm on the dash a little above idle speed. It may go up to pressure now...but there is no guarantee the lube has freed up the plunger in the unloader in the top of the compressor, you may have to give some "soaking in" time to the lube.

If it doesn't build to 110-120, stops at say 60, take the line loose at the top of the compressor and let it vent out while the truck is running. With that line loose you should have some air coming from the control valve and the pump should build pressure. While there are other safety relief valves, don't leave it off or pressure could go too high.

HOPEFULLY the oil and operation will free up the unloader and allow the control to maintain the 110-120 that you need.

The TM's have much more information, but this is what I would do.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello montaillou, And I also had a local shop to work for me, but they didnt install the locker fo my front axle. Some day I may do this myself!
You do realize how hard a tight turn will be with a front locker like that (not air), don't you? Hope you have lockout hubs.

davidb56

Hello montaillou, And I also had a local shop to work for me, but they didnt install the locker fo my front axle. Some day I may do this myself!
Often shops now hire/use their semi-journeyman mechanics to do a lot of the work, and it shows months later with premature wear on parts, usually out of warranty too. The shop may have indirectly done you a favor.

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I certainly am discretionary nowadays as to who I would let work on my machines. Even for my newer car, where I call a molie mechanic, I made sure he both knows what he is doing, and he is honest!

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whatadeuce, I hope you see the irony/humor of talking about finding a good mechanic.... with the picture of your truck on the axle. I'm still laughing with you, though at the time, you probably didn't laugh.

Did the damage on your housing and hub clean up to put on new bearings, seals and nut? Is this the one you may dual up the front and put that axle lock in?

I like your tire...I'm thinking of using some rubber shipping dock bumpers

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only because its sunday, I shall tell the truth! And the truth is I didnt do the maintenance on Truck 1, and thats why the bearings froze....there was no grease left in them!

Well its an embarrasement, but as an excuse I have too manmy trucks. But now I plan on keeping just ione, the bomb crane truck, and I shall maintain it properly. ...Now dont tell anyone else in steel soldiers about this !

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I were not so far, I'd make a deal for a 105 trailer. I want another for parts and a good bed.

I was trying to keep up with three trucks and found it was too much. Two nearly is...but my fun is in the build so I tell myself that the many unfinished (money sucking) projects are really just a lot of fun waiting to happen, not just junk laying around.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only because its sunday, I shall tell the truth! And the truth is I didnt do the maintenance on Truck 1, and thats why the bearings froze....there was no grease left in them!

Well its an embarrasement, but as an excuse I have too manmy trucks. But now I plan on keeping just ione, the bomb crane truck, and I shall maintain it properly. ...Now dont tell anyone else in steel soldiers about this !
Deuce, I have an M35A2C, M105A2, and a M38A1 jeep, and at the age of 65 It's hard for me to keep up with all 3. Now I know why a lot of the older members have Jeeps. Smaller, lighter, easier for older folks to work on and maintain.

Nomad1

I'd like to get new rubber and tubes all the way around on my truck. I've got 8 down and 2 to go. I'm using the standard Titan 9.00X20 NDCC tires, and out this way, they sure are getting hard to find.:(
I order my tires and have them shipped to me I would think you could get the Titans the same way. I get tires for less money online then local with free shipping.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I order my tires and have them shipped to me I would think you could get the Titans the same way. I get tires for less money online then local with free shipping.
He might find a complete M105 with nice tires, ready to use, as cheap as a couple tires.

Another Ahab

Remember that hit song: There is nothing like a dame, nothing in the world... Well for us at steel soldiers, the song reads: there is nothing like a deuce..........
Great tune. Rogers & Hammerstein.

It WAS a hit, whatadeuce, (but between you and me it has been a while!), love it regardless:

- Seabees, it's a hoot!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljm9CDRAhMQ

Last edited:

fasttruck

Reference tires and tubes: check with any tire mechanic and you will be told to put NEW tubes in NEW tires. As tire age, they stretch or become slightly larger than when new. The tubes, being soft rubber, stretch too. Put a larger than new used tube in a new tire and it will be too big, so when inflated it will form creases. Tubes usually fail on the crease and as new tires are frequently on the front, you will have a front flat and become OOS and NMC at the same time.

Also when buying "new" NDT tires, some sold are over 10 years old when you get them. This is because the Army bought the tire new and kept in a warehouse for 10 years before they sold the lot to a special interest tire dealer who probably has had it for a while before selling it to you. The age of the tire can bed established by the last 2 digits of the date code. "00" equates to 2000 and so on. The rub is commercial tire shops typically will not mount a tire over 10 years old so you will have to do it yourself.TIRE SHOP 5.29.2010.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks