• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

Fellas the new windows are in. As with all things Deuce a bit of drama was involved. I can't tell you how long it took me, because to do so would instantaneously invalidate my manhood. My first order of business was to make sure that my face, iphone, best bluejeans, and any freshly painted OD green surfaces were smeared with anti-seize. The itsy-bitsy hinge screws went in very easily. I used some wood to substitute for " Soldier B " to hold the window up high enough so I could engage the little hinge screws. The new latches hit the little stationary holder doohickeys by an 1/8", so I had to re-profile the doohickeys with my grinder and a file. It's comforting to know that all of the familiar Deuce air gaps are still there. After all, how else would the wasps get in! Now I'm wondering how I'm going to dispose of the aircraft carrier sized box theySoldier B.jpgNew Windows.jpg came in.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Fellas the new windows are in. As with all things Deuce a bit of drama was involved. I can't tell you how long it took me, because to do so would instantaneously invalidate my manhood. My first order of business was to make sure that my face, iphone, best bluejeans, and any freshly painted OD green surfaces were smeared with anti-seize. The itsy-bitsy hinge screws went in very easily. I used some wood to substitute for " Soldier B " to hold the window up high enough so I could engage the little hinge screws. The new latches hit the little stationary holder doohickeys by an 1/8", so I had to re-profile the doohickeys with my grinder and a file. It's comforting to know that all of the familiar Deuce air gaps are still there. After all, how else would the wasps get in! Now I'm wondering how I'm going to dispose of the aircraft carrier sized box theyView attachment 812484View attachment 812485 came in.
Wow! Clear glass... I thought factory glass was only available from the factory in the basic "military cloudy" finish. ;-) Really does look nice. Now on to the next part of the project. Windshield wipers. Maybe you can tip the left side all the way out, then reach over to the right side to bolt it on...

Maybe the advantage of a big truck is that you have a way to haul off a large box?

Dipstick

They sure are clear aren't they! The wiper motors are easy. The only reason they're not in is because I'm painting their mounting screws OD green right now. Oh, I almost forgot I have two new wiper blades coming Tuesday from Erik's. About the big box. My plan is to put the box in the bed with the tail gate down and then goose Brutus up to warp speed down some lonely road . The box should blow out the back! Not really. I don't litter. I may turn it into a shed.

18operator

They sure are clear aren't they! The wiper motors are easy. The only reason they're not in is because I'm painting their mounting screws OD green right now. Oh, I almost forgot I have two new wiper blades coming Tuesday from Erik's. About the big box. My plan is to put the box in the bed with the tail gate down and then goose Brutus up to warp speed down some lonely road . The box should blow out the back! Not really. I don't litter. I may turn it into a shed.
Cut it open and save it to lie/sit on the next time you change oil and grease your machine. It catches those sometimes nasty spills too!

Dipstick

I've done that for decades 18. I also use boxes for holding bolts when I paint them. I punch holes in the box and then insert the bolts or screws. I usually spray the bolts with CRC contact cleaner or brake cleaner which removes any fingerprints or oils first and Painting Bolts.jpgPainting Nuts.jpgthen evaporates without leaving any residue. Then, I hit them with the primer and paint. You can get to every side of the bolt heads. I clamp a piece of ceiling tile wire in one of my vices to paint lock washers, flat washers, and nuts. I'm open to any suggestions if there is a better way to do it.

Dipstick

I put the air operated wiper motors back on today. It took me a while, because the fine machine thread screws must be perfectly perpendicular to the bracket in order to get the threads to catch. My arms are long enough that I can kneel on the hood and reach around and into the cab to reposition the wiper motors as needed. One problem is that ever since I gave up drinking several years ago, my elbows don't seem to bend as well as they use to.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I put the air operated wiper motors back on today. It took me a while, because the fine machine thread screws must be perfectly perpendicular to the bracket in order to get the threads to catch. My arms are long enough that I can kneel on the hood and reach around and into the cab to reposition the wiper motors as needed. One problem is that ever since I gave up drinking several years ago, my elbows don't seem to bend as well as they use to.
Yeah, and on giving up drinking - you don't bounce as well either if you fall off the hood - and hit the ground. Reminds me of that Christmas special and "Bumbles Bounce. :)

I wonder how much more we might get done if all of us lived in the same neighborhood? A hand here and there sure would make some of these projects go a lot faster and easier. When I climb up on the back of my wrecker, I can never finish anything in one trip up (climb).

Dipstick

All true. Many times I could've used an extra pair of hands. I can well understand your wrecker comment. I must have been up and down that ladder 200 times over the last few days. Not to mention several zillion trips to my shop in the basement then back through the whole house and garage to get back outside to the truck every time I need a screw or a file or something.

Dipstick

Paint Guard.jpgNice Ass.jpgWiper Glass Protector.jpg Today I mounted my new wiper blades. I was afraid of chipping my expensive new glass, so I taped a piece of cardboard over it. This way if the wiper arm slipped out of my hands while installing it, the bare metal arm would hit the cardboard and not the glass. And would you know it.....a piece I cut out of the box as large as an aircraft carrier fit my driver's side window perfectly so I could touch up the paint on the door. The middle thumbnail is entitled "Nice Ass!" I'm meaning the new mud flaps off course.

FloridaAKM

I am going to start unloading all the camping gear, crates of Deuce cover systems, & everything else out of my tan Deuce in anticipation on going to Albany, Ga next week & picking up a S-280 truck shop system. This will be the first trip outta Florida into Georgia since I bought the truck & brought her home from Blue Ridge, Ga.

Dipstick

Sounds like it will be a fun and productive trip. Do you have a picture of the truck you'll be driving? Do you currently have that many gen-sets?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 812888View attachment 812887View attachment 812886 Today I mounted my new wiper blades. I was afraid of chipping my expensive new glass, so I taped a piece of cardboard over it. This way if the wiper arm slipped out of my hands while installing it, the bare metal arm would hit the cardboard and not the glass. And would you know it.....a piece I cut out of the box as large as an aircraft carrier fit my driver's side window perfectly so I could touch up the paint on the door. The middle thumbnail is entitled "Nice Ass!" I'm meaning the new mud flaps off course.

Wow! Now that's using the old bean... Definitely like the idea of using cardboard to "keep stupid stuff from happening". And since the box was so large - you have plenty more for the next project. :cool:

Dipstick

Thanks Tim! I always put the wiper arms on without the blades. It's much harder to do with the blades on the arms flopping around. So, if you loose your grip on the spring loaded arm it will smack right into the glass! The cardboard piece for the side window fit so perfectly that I didn't even have to trim it! Just luck. Today I should have the licence plate and it's light on if the paint dries in time. Guess what? I went to the hardware store and the sheet metal they ordered for me never came in. The woman who ordered it was very apologetic about it. She's really nice, so I know she tried. I hope it comes in soon.
They sprayed expanding foam in the box to protect the glass. It's impossible to get out. It's going to take me a while to dispose of it. I hope all is well with you and your wrecker!

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Tim! I always put the wiper arms on without the blades. It's much harder to do with the blades on the arms flopping around. So, if you loose your grip on the spring loaded arm it will smack right into the glass! The cardboard piece for the side window fit so perfectly that I didn't even have to trim it! Just luck. Today I should have the licence plate and it's light on if the paint dries in time. Guess what? I went to the hardware store and the sheet metal they ordered for me never came in. The woman who ordered it was very apologetic about it. She's really nice, so I know she tried. I hope it comes in soon.
They sprayed expanding foam in the box to protect the glass. It's impossible to get out. It's going to take me a while to dispose of it. I hope all is well with you and your wrecker!
Yes Sir! Thanks Owen. All is well with my wrecker. Cooler weather has improved my outlook on being outside to work on it. I got one rusty air tank replaced. Powered everything up with 150 psi of house air - and found the next tank in the cascade has the same problem in the same place. Much smaller hole, but my cheap plastic BIC pen pushed right through it when I followed the sound...

It could be worse I guess. When I bought the replacement, I got two. Figured having a spare was a good idea. Guess the spare isn't spare any more... It's okay though. This one should go much faster than the other since I have a big baggie of air fittings. Happily we are covered up with printing work - so play time is down. Not so good, but tonight and tomorrow the "talking heads" are calling for rain, so I will just have to stay inside and do the things that earn me money to do the shade tree work. :)

Dipstick

Glad to hear you're well. Good job on the air tanks! Funny you should mention it because my two tanks were showing signs of rust and pitting around the moisture drains when I looked a few months ago. I wouldn't be surprised If mine are going to need replacement soon. It's good your printing business is busy. I myself am a hot weather person. I don't care for Fall or Winter. Where did you get your tanks? Were they new or in good used condition?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I got mine local. There is a place about a quarter mile down the road named Campbell Brown. They had aluminum tanks with an aluminum mounting bracket on them. Gets them up off the steel plate the original tanks were U-Bolted to... Over the years, salt and slag wedged itself between the tank and the steel plate. Steel plate has very minor scarring. the tank was pitiful. That first tank seemed to have been leaking for quite a while.

They are "brushed aluminum" and the way my truck was built, the "wet tank" is behind a big Donaldson air filter under the driver's door. Unless you know what you are looking for - you can't see the bright aluminum tank. I am conflicted about painting it green. I don't need the shine but the only way to see it is from under the truck.

I looked for NOS and found these for less. Had a couple set aside by a friend but they never made it here. Figure if/when they do, I will have spares again that that is a good thing. If you need part numbers, I can scare up some for you.

Have to admit that I like cool weather better than 90/90 where the temperature and humidity are about the same. I think up in PA the cold would be a lot more brutal than it is here. Heck, it isn't uncommon for us to wear T-Shirts and shorts around Christmas! Everything is relative I guess :)

Dipstick

Wow! Good information and nice solution to the problem! I will probably go with used or new steel M35 tanks so all the tubing and fittings will work without modification. You're right about the weather. We don't get as hot or humid as you do, but 20 degrees is about the normal winter day and 10 degrees is not uncommon. It's already down to the mid 40's at night up here. Pretty soon I'll be draining the garden hoses, putting the winter front on Brutus and plugging his block heater into the garage electric, and raking over 50 trees worth of leaves. This weather effectively shuts down my frame cleaning and painting for six months. Bummer. I haven't finished yet.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Wow! Good information and nice solution to the problem! I will probably go with used or new steel M35 tanks so all the tubing and fittings will work without modification. You're right about the weather. We don't get as hot or humid as you do, but 20 degrees is about the normal winter day and 10 degrees is not uncommon. It's already down to the mid 40's at night up here. Pretty soon I'll be draining the garden hoses, putting the winter front on Brutus and plugging his block heater into the garage electric, and raking over 50 trees worth of leaves. This weather effectively shuts down my frame cleaning and painting for six months. Bummer. I haven't finished yet.
Wow! I like cool weather. I can deal with 40 even - but 10 or 20 is NOT my thing at all. Trees here are starting to turn. I am guessing that the cold snap got that started. We were almost 80 today and about 60 right now. Starting to rain...

I don't have a block heater or even a grill blanket for my truck. Heck, we get snow one or two times a year (maybe) and if it happens on Monday all traces are gone by Friday! Oh, and every loaf of bread and gallon of milk is cleaned out at the grocery stores... Never have been able to figure that out.

I have a big chestnut tree in my yard at home. It has already dropped its "fruit". The spines are about tennis ball size. The nut inside a little larger than a quarter. Step on one and you are miserable! Tennis shoes are no protection at all from them. Bagging that up gets exciting for sure...

Dipstick

I know about Chestnuts. We built forts in them as kids and hurled the spiny fruit at each other like they were hand grenades or something. Winter before last we had 18 plowable, snow blowerable storms. Not to mention ice. All that snow and Truck Destroyer, Granular is why I'm constantly battling rust. Tim check out my new thread in the Deuce forum concerning proper nut and bolt torques. It applies to all machinery, Deuces, and 5 Tons too. Well, I have to get to bed. I have to drive 45 miles to my ex-wives' house tomorrow to service her steam boiler for the winter. Check you later.

Iron Maiden

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided it was time to secure my fuel tank against unauthorized opening. I bored a close-fitting hole in some 3/16" steel plate to fit over the neck of my fuel tank. The rest of the project was made from 1/2" x 1" and 1/8" x 2" steel. No drilling or welding on the fuel tank was necessary to attach it. I engraved it to add a professional touch to it.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks