• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

Broke down 7 two-piece rims with 11.00R20 Michelins, wire brushed and rust painted the rims and just sprayed the first coat of woodland green. Glad I did it in the shelter, because now it's RAINING! It said 20% chance of rain. I wish I was that lucky in the lottery!

View attachment 833984
They look nice! That's a heck of a lot of work for one day. Are these new wheels for Queen Lola?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I have had these for a while. I have Goodyear 281s on stock rims on the truck. Good tires as long as the truck stays on the road. Wet grass...it gets stuck.

I'm in the mood for something different. These are Canadian rims. Very similar to the A3 rims.

I took the wheels apart and cleaned them up over three days after work. I admire people that do truck tires for a living. It is hard work. I am glad I have my 3/4 Milwaukee Fuel impact. The studs are 3/4 fine thread and there are 10 nuts per rim. I wire brushed the threads and soaked them with penetrant. It still took the 1500 ft lbs of nut busting power to spin the nuts off.

I originally tried with a socket and breaker bar but I could hear the rim laughing at me even as I was walking up to it. It was right.

By the way, if you do not feel like spending $$$ for the complete Milwaukee 3/4 kit....I bought the "tool only" for the best price I could find, bought two large 6Ah aftermarket batteries and an aftermarket charger ( based on positive customer reviews). That saved me $300 compared to buying this as a Milwaukee kit.

I do not use the impact commercially to earn a living and the setup performs perfectly for me.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Dipstick

Yes, I have had these for a while. I have Goodyear 281s on stock rims on the truck. Good tires as long as the truck stays on the road. Wet grass...it gets stuck.

I'm in the mood for something different. These are Canadian rims. Very similar to the A3 rims.

I took the wheels apart and cleaned them up over three days after work. I admire people that do truck tires for a living. It is hard work. I am glad I have my 3/4 Milwaukee Fuel impact. The studs are 3/4 fine thread and there are 10 nuts per rim. I wire brushed the threads and soaked them with penetrant. It still took the 1500 ft lbs of nut busting power to spin the nuts off.

I originally tried with a socket and breaker bar but I could hear the rim laughing at me even as I was walking up to it. It was right.

By the way, if you do not feel like spending $$$ for the complete Milwaukee 3/4 kit....I bought the "tool only" for the best price I could find, bought two large 6Ah aftermarket batteries and an aftermarket charger ( based on positive customer reviews). That saved me $300 compared to buying this as a Milwaukee kit.

I do not use the impact commercially to earn a living and the setup performs perfectly for me.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
I always learn something from you cattlerepairman! Lots of good information here. I'm glad to know you did it over three days and not in one day. I would feel like a loser then. I bet that will be a really neat tire and rim combo for you. I don't have to worry about my T-831s slipping in grass. My tires punch holes in wet ground like a tractor tire would. I hope they're tubeless rims you have. 1,500 ft lbs! Wow! I'm going to look into that impact tool. I just bought a Milwaukee 1/2" drill. One of the batteries they sent me was bad. I have to exchange it. I'm facing a lot of rain down here too. Really holding me up.

Dipstick

Brutus Front 5-17-21 s.jpgBrutus Side 5-17-21 s.jpg
I washed Brutus today. I wanted to clean off the pollen so I could do a little touch up painting. Next, I plan trips to the recycling center (yard cleanup) and the local nursery (new shrubs, fertilizer, and dirt). Then, I can start on the new fenders and rocker panels. Things are hectic this week. I just became a grandfather for the first time the other day. A healthy baby girl named Vivian. I'm going to see her for the first time Wednesday. I can't wait.

Dipstick

Mom Holding Vivian S.jpg
This my 93 year old Mom holding her great grand daughter Vivian for the first time yesterday. Vivian was an absolute delight. She was held by several family members and never once fussed. This rookie Grandpa will be mowing the lawn today and rattle canning a little O.D. Green on Brutus as well.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 834842
This my 93 year old Mom holding her great grand daughter Vivian for the first time yesterday. Vivian was an absolute delight. She was held by several family members and never once fussed. This rookie Grandpa will be mowing the lawn today and rattle canning a little O.D. Green on Brutus as well.
That is really neat Owen!

Need a picture of you too... In your recliner.
And in a few months when Vivian isn't bobbling around as much - a ride it a big green truck needs to happen!

Congratulations!!

Dipstick

That is really neat Owen!

Need a picture of you too... In your recliner.
And in a few months when Vivian isn't bobbling around as much - a ride it a big green truck needs to happen!

Congratulations!!
Thank you! I did actually do a little recliner time today watching the Yankees game. I think in the near future ( child car seat required ), Vivian's first ride on the wild side would probably be in Cynthia my Mustang GT with the top down!

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took Lola for a quick rip and decided to do some mild off-roading beside a country road on the side of the village (no houses there). Climbed up and down the embankment. Stopped my embankment climb for a middle-aged, blonde lady in white jogging outfit walking along. She stopped (probably thought I would run her over?) and proceeded to make an angry face and angry noises. I could not hear what Karen was saying, thanks to the LDS revving a few times. I was thinking of dyeing her outfit black but have too much class for that.

Dipstick

Took Lola for a quick rip and decided to do some mild off-roading beside a country road on the side of the village (no houses there). Climbed up and down the embankment. Stopped my embankment climb for a middle-aged, blonde lady in white jogging outfit walking along. She stopped (probably thought I would run her over?) and proceeded to make an angry face and angry noises. I could not hear what Karen was saying, thanks to the LDS revving a few times. I was thinking of dyeing her outfit black but have too much class for that.
Was that with the new tires and rims? How did your Queen do on the embankment? You are a classy guy. I am not. How did her rear bumper look?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, it is still with the Goodyear 286's. It is dry, so they work, sort of. I actually wanted a baseline before butting the "new" tires on. I could not get myself to mount them. Not, because it is hot, but because the mosquitoes are crazy. I donated a few quarts of blood today!!

The steel trailer hitch digs into the ground like a ripper blade from a caterpillar when going up or down a road dam.
It does not cause any damage to the trailer hitch, welded from some armoured steel that soldier A found on the scrap pile.

Dipstick

No, it is still with the Goodyear 286's. It is dry, so they work, sort of. I actually wanted a baseline before butting the "new" tires on. I could not get myself to mount them. Not, because it is hot, but because the mosquitoes are crazy. I donated a few quarts of blood today!!

The steel trailer hitch digs into the ground like a ripper blade from a caterpillar when going up or down a road dam.
It does not cause any damage to the trailer hitch, welded from some armoured steel that soldier A found on the scrap pile.
Getting a baseline is a good idea. You have mosquitos. I have wasps. They find every nook and cranny on Brutus. Very annoying. I saw an advertisement for an electric device that heats a scentless (to humans) pad and is supposed to keep mosquitos away for a 20 foot or more radius. It's supposed to be quite effective. You could place it in the covered area where you pictured your rims. Let me see if I can figure out where I saw it. They used to lay down clouds of DDT when I was about six or seven. Tremendously effective against mosquitos. I used to ride my bike through the cloud. Maybe that's what's wrong with me!

Dipstick

Junk Day 1.jpgJunk Day 2.jpgJunk Day 3.jpg
I finally loaded up Brutus for a trip to the dump. Been wanting to do it for years. The people who lived here before me left tons of junk everywhere. I still have lots to go. There's more stuff in Brutus than the picture shows. I had to drive up a winding grade in which you must gain 500 feet in two miles. I was in third gear at 2,200 rpm the whole way with my flashers on. They only charged me $35 for the load and even helped me unload it. I tipped the guy $10. I felt like I accomplished something today. So, it was a good Deuce day.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
View attachment 834924View attachment 834925View attachment 834926
I finally loaded up Brutus for a trip to the dump. Been wanting to do it for years. The people who lived here before me left tons of junk everywhere. I still have lots to go. There's more stuff in Brutus than the picture shows. I had to drive up a winding grade in which you must gain 500 feet in two miles. I was in third gear at 2,200 rpm the whole way with my flashers on. They only charged me $35 for the load and even helped me unload it. I tipped the guy $10. I felt like I accomplished something today. So, it was a good Deuce day.
truck likes to work

Dipstick

And looks good doing it! That is a good looking bobber with all the work it takes to cut down a drop side bed.
Thank you Floridianson! I can't take credit for the bobbing or the power steering. I bought Brutus that way. The short wheelbase and the power steering made him a breeze to drive on the dozen or more 25 mph ascending and descending S-curves and hairpin turns I had to negotiate on the way to the dump. I also had to back up a 250 ft. inclined ramp at the dump with a few pickup trucks already at the top of the ramp. It was easy to do in Brutus. His only drawback is the reduced payload capacity when compared to a stock Deuce.

fleetmech

While I know the military didnt make any effort to keep parts together on these trucks, I'm interested to have recently discovered that my bed is definitely not a match to my '70 truck. While sanding the long removed body for a preservation/ re-installation paint job, I found plenty of old school Air Force blue that was its first paint color under some thick but poorly applied od green. Diving into the heretofore untouched pallet of parts that came with it, I found hinged mudflaps, also blue painted over with green. I was able to read a bit of the body tag, which appears to say "the Perfection Steel Body Company Galion Ohio". I haven't found much on Perfection, and nothing after the very early '60s. There was also a ring of some kind of sealant around the top rail. Maybe a sign it once carried an enclosure?

Does anyone know when they stopped with the hinged mud flaps, or anything about Perfection? I think the flaps look awesome and am quite happy to have them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks