• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The old girl helped yank some decent-sized rocks out of the fields that had finally become exposed enough to start playing havoc with the equipment...

View attachment 843340
View attachment 843341

And she also hauled the last few yards of crushed concrete to finish repairing a wash-out in the lane. So many heavy rainfalls this summer...

View attachment 843352

View attachment 843342
Really Nice Quaker... She looks happy out there in the field - working steadily. :)
Great way to move a pile of rocks too!

TheQuaker

Really Nice Quaker... She looks happy out there in the field - working steadily. :)
Great way to move a pile of rocks too!
Thanks. Yes, farm life seems to really agree with her. Hard, honest work and she looks good doing it ;)

The kids at the local gravel yard that run the front end loaders get all excited whenever she or her big sister show up for a couple yards of gravel. Takes me at least five times as long to get loaded as it should as I am always fielding questions and talking with folks who are very curious.

I even had someone make an offer to buy her right on the spot while I was waiting to load up a couple of weeks ago... Good stuff!

@Mullaney one more in the field "beauty shot" for you...

IMG_1273.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks. Yes, farm life seems to really agree with her. Hard, honest work and she looks good doing it ;)

The kids at the local gravel yard that run the front end loaders get all excited whenever she or her big sister show up for a couple yards of gravel. Takes me at least five times as long to get loaded as it should as I am always fielding questions and talking with folks who are very curious.

I even had someone make an offer to buy her right on the spot while I was waiting to load up a couple of weeks ago... Good stuff!

View attachment 843388
Glamor Shots :cool: for trucks...
Definitely looking good!

Dipstick

Ive been working the dog doo out of the deuce pulling firewood out of the forest. I bought some 1/2 inch grade 70 chains too, as the 3/8 grade 43 kept breaking when I hit a few tree stumps dragging 50+ feet of 16 inch logs. Now I cn get some of those Ponderosa pins higher up the mountains....they are big.
I sure would like to see some pics or vids of your Deuce being worked like that!!!

Dipstick

View attachment 843388
Beautiful truck in a beautiful setting!!

Dipstick

I connected my new Big Mike's remote brake fluid reservoir today. It was not too hard. I substituted a worm gear hose clamp for the master cylinder end as it's much easier to turn a nut driver than it is to use pliers under there. The Teflon tape that came with the kit was garbage. Too thin. I used my own tape from my private stash instead. Twice as thick and it wraps much more easily. I routed the hose under the cab and zip tied it to a hard brake line. This will keep it away from all the springs and moving levers that abound in that area. I had about 14" of hose left over. Next, I need to bleed my brakes. The pedal seems firm enough, but I have to push the pedal 2.5" before I get action. It doesn't feel spongy. Maybe there's slop in the linkage I need to adjust out. I'm open to your suggestions or advice on that matter.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’ve managed to go my whole life without a Deuce cargo cover and, somehow, I acquired two in the same week. I got the Deuce out today to test fit the covers. They both fit nicely, except that my uprights are about 12” too long.

So does this mean that my truck is a cross dresser?

View attachment 843795View attachment 843796View attachment 843797View attachment 843798
I picked up a set of Bows and a cover about a month ago. I was told when I transferred the parts from their vehicle to mine that the uprights would be too long. I didn't ask at the time "how much" but thanks for the test fit ;-)

Not sure about the cross dressing truck.

I have seen a few military convoys around here in the neighborhood (Reserve Units) with tan and green camo assorted parts on active trucks.
I guess times are hard and they can't afford to buy paint.

HanksDeuce

Drove my bobbed deuce to lunch. Topped her off with diesel. Called the local Fire Department and volunteered for deep water rescue (if needed) because of Hurricane Ida.

I was told the newer trucks can't ford as much water. Passed by a bunch back in the flood of 2016 that were stranded like this. How much water can they really ford? Deepest water I went through was about 5 ft back in 2016.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are anticipating deep water fording, I recommend putting a 1/8 in hose barb in place of the axle vents and running (clear) hose up high, with a cheap fuel filter at the end to keep crud out. It removes one likely entry point for water into the axle housing and also avoids over-pressurizing the axle housing (and subsequent axle seal leaking) because of a sticky axle vent. Leave a nice hose loop for slack during axle articulation.

HanksDeuce

If you are anticipating deep water fording, I recommend putting a 1/8 in hose barb in place of the axle vents and running (clear) hose up high, with a cheap fuel filter at the end to keep crud out. It removes one likely entry point for water into the axle housing and also avoids over-pressurizing the axle housing (and subsequent axle seal leaking) because of a sticky axle vent. Leave a nice hose loop for slack during axle articulation.
I have 3/8" reinforced clear tubing vented to a bracket over my shoulder next to the driver seat for the front/rear axles and transfer case that each terminate at a clear fuel filter. I also have a 3/8" vent on the fuel tank to a bracket on the spare tire rack behind the cab. These mods were completed before the 2016 flood. I found the 1/8" tubing wasn't large enough and it trapped fluid in certain spots. No fluid is trapped in the 3/8" ID tubing.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve managed to go my whole life without a Deuce cargo cover and, somehow, I acquired two in the same week. I got the Deuce out today to test fit the covers. They both fit nicely, except that my uprights are about 12” too long.

So does this mean that my truck is a cross dresser?

View attachment 843795View attachment 843796View attachment 843797View attachment 843798
Standard deuce uprights are about 47 inches long. Most of the newer ones are fiberglass so be careful cutting them down. Cover should go down just slightly below the bottom of the square rail on the sides. Measure how much yours are too long and cut them down - or find another set of covers and make longer 'skirts' for all four sides. That way you might even be able to stand up straight inside the cargo compartment. Your truck, your cargo covers, do it your way!

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s what I did to my deuce nothing exciting like deep water rescue. But thank you for volunteering to help those people. I fixed my bows and trailer sides now just need to get 3 metal bows and cover for the trailer

Attachments

TheQuaker

Removed the hard line to the rear brakes. There was too much vibration/movement of the hard line at the rear-most retaining clip to the frame over the years and she finally wore a small hole in the line at the rear edge of the clip.

Obvious design/installation weak point now that I look at it...will make improvements in securing the new line to the frame rail when I repair.

Brake line, fittings and supplies inbound...time to break out the flaring tool and tube bender next weekend.

IMG_1652.JPG

hgun

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s a question for you guys about brakes every time I get back from a drive I apply the parking brake which is extremely hard to put on. With in minutes I smell brakes and see smoke coming from the DS front wheel wheel I believe it’s the parking brake, I can touch the drum ice cold on the wheel you don’t smell it driving just when you park and apply the parking brake. I just replaced all wheel seals new grease etc checked brakes everything looks good. It was doing this prior to me servicing the axels. Just a question thanks guys

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks