• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

VP17IFT

Cab floor and seat mount

Cleaned up the flaking paint on the passenger side floor then primed with rusty metal primer andtop cotedwith bedliner rolled on. then i finished the mount for the seat, made up of 2x2 tubing with 3/8 16 bolts welded in and 2" flat stock for reinforcement. The seat is a Mastercraft with a spring steel base. i also installed some 2" polyethelene packing foam in the back wall of the cab for insulation. Next up is to do the driver side.tn_2013-05-29_18-14-04_91.jpgtn_2013-05-29_18-13-47_2.jpgtn_2013-05-29_18-13-01_746.jpgtn_2013-05-29_18-05-19_552.jpgtn_2013-05-29_18-04-56_143.jpgtn_2013-05-29_18-04-49_661.jpgtn_2013-05-29_18-04-35_403.jpgtn_2013-05-29_18-05-29_409.jpg

Hainebd

Ran big brute 60 miles yesterday. First real run. Stopped for fuel and did a walk around and a tail light is out. Brought her home and wanted to do brake adjustment. Jacked left front up and wheel moved sideways. Pulled apart found outer axle nut completely off and inner on three threads. Pulled wheel off. Grease good seal good. Checked lock ring and axle tab broken off. Now left side loosened and tab broke? Or tab broke? In either case nuts nut torqued properly. Thank GOD wheel did not come off. Going to check all wheels before next run. The other issue is it is ****hot driving. Driver side not real bad but passenger side smoken. I was running her hard just to check out. Got to cut heat down somehow. Now I do not pan on moding to the max. I plan on using and have so far with 5 yards of topsoil. And hopefully towing my 5th wheel. But I do want to survive the trip. I may even fix her up then trade up to a 5 ton. Or mabe I just buy one and have two. This site is great tons of info and help. I thank all who post.

59apache

Chipmaker
bondo ready, primer ready, 2nd primer on the cab, painted the frame and a few parts. I wish i had the time to disassembly everything, sand it, and paint it. No way. So i've removed loose rust and paint paint it. result is ok.. not as good as i wish, but i want to drive her this year. My little girl told me that she wants to drive with "Lilo" soon...

I went to the WW II reenactment at Sommer Park on Saturday. It was very muddy but all of the reenactors did a very good job. Lots of armour and artillery. Even though my duece wasn't of that vintage, it got photographed a lot. There was an operational T34 there.

RobM36A2

Not with my deuce, but a friend of Scrambler. We sanded the M35 and put on a camo paintjob. Only thing that needs to be done, is some white and black accents..

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New oil pan ( fork lift puncture)and new shut off cable for my recent GL purchase. I think the oil pan should have been a 2 man job at least for me. Fired right up after that. Bought as a non runner.

Ford Mechanic

Removed the rag top!!! Then took the wife and the dogs in it to the local sandpit/swiming hole for a dip! Man the sun is hot on that thing sittin still:drool:, now to find or make a bimini top for it. Anyone got one of the sown on channels at the top of the winshield for the soft top that might have come off a old worn out discarded one that they wouldn't mind parting with?

docpadds

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finished all the 110volt in the box, now have 4 separate circuits. Got the 12 and 110 to generator done and finished. New door seals in cab done. Put the three little bars in roof up front so vinyl roof no longer sags.

swindad2

Just took the tarp off for the first time to see what she looks like under there. Had brand new bows and fiberglass racks, but they bolted on some crappy warped, flaking seats. Hope to find some fiberglass replacements. Trying to get a few miles on before I start disassembling the interior for paint.20130603_155130.jpg20130603_155148.jpg

Captaincarrier

Bought the M109a early April, moved it today for the first time. Those tires hadn't been flexed in 5 years and what a ride across town. Hope to start with must overdue fluid changes. Need to determine filters and what fluids are recommended now. Not that the TM's are not great guide lines, I feel that technology has progressed. Did manage to clean the fuel tank the first week while at the PO's place. Found a the normal amount of rust, some water but no growth. The laundry list will have to wait until after vacation during the 4th.

brianp454

Welcome aboard Captaincarrier!

I just purchased my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Deuce earlier this year also. The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] things I did was change the oil, then all of the fuel filters, check all lights, tire pressure, new wiper blades, Rain-X the windows, fix a leak in the coolant system, etc. I was blessed because a previous owner added JATonkas spin-on filter adapters. Now I’ve moved onto bigger and more involved things such as checking front end alignment (toe-in) and doing a thorough check-out of the brake system. Working on a new posting on that and plan to put it with the power bleeder thread.

How did you clean your tank?

Yesterday I tried to “fix” the left dash light in the instrument panel, it had been flickering on and off and then went out entirely. I purchased a new lamp p/n 356 at NAPA that was made in CHINA (rats!), but worse yet I the filament was burnt out anyway. I made it to NAPA to try and replace it but arrived 5 minutes after they closed. Rats again! So, I figured out that the glass was loose in the base on my old lamp, so I put a ring of epoxy on it. Now it’s working fine.

Bought the M109a early April, moved it today for the first time. Those tires hadn't been flexed in 5 years and what a ride across town. Hope to start with must overdue fluid changes. Need to determine filters and what fluids are recommended now. Not that the TM's are not great guide lines, I feel that technology has progressed. Did manage to clean the fuel tank the first week while at the PO's place. Found a the normal amount of rust, some water but no growth. The laundry list will have to wait until after vacation during the 4th.

JCKnife

Mounted the winch from my parts truck onto my deuce that is missing a rear axle.I just thought the winch was a p.i.t.a. , but the pto is really going to be fun!
I thought the PTO was actually easier than the winch. By the way, you can insert the shaft after everything else is on but you have to slide it apart to do so.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Finally got around to painting the box to match the truck,001.jpg004.jpg005.jpg added a pintle hitch with backing plate to the front to push a S280 on a mobilizer dolly.002.jpg003.jpg

M-35A3

Finally fixed the turn signal issue not wanting to flash . It turns out that the clamp that holds the turn signal lever to the steering column is also the ground , i didn't find this out until i cleaned every single ground related to the lights i found this outaua . I took one of the screws out of the clamp base of the turn signal lever and ran a wire with ring terminals to a good ground then it worked perfectly after that !:naner:

Carlo

Finally fixed the turn signal issue not wanting to flash . It turns out that the clamp that holds the turn signal lever to the steering column is also the ground , i didn't find this out until i cleaned every single ground related to the lights i found this outaua . I took one of the screws out of the clamp base of the turn signal lever and ran a wire with ring terminals to a good ground then it worked perfectly after that !:naner:
I asume the A3 has the newer type turn signal lever/housing like the 923A2. My M35A2 has this same problem some times. I will check this. Thanks!

Dipstick

Running Board and Exhaust

I finally finished installing a new exhaust on Brutus. It's a Donaldson muffler with a turnout stack. I made a bracket out of angle iron so I could attach the two mirror arms just like stock. I painted the stack with silver VHT. I'm not sure if I like the color yet. My neighbors tell me my truck is noticeably quieter.

I ordered a new running board and frame brackets from Bill at Eastern Surplus. My truck had been high centered on a rock or something bending everything on the driver's side up including the fender. After painting the parts, I had H&K Auto Body mount them for me. I'm glad I did. The had to burn the frame bolts off and put the fender and tool box on their hydraulic frame puller to get everything right. I didn't realize that the inner top of the tool box was crushed up into the frame. They do top notch work at H&K for a very fair price. Muffler and Stack Small.jpgMuffler and Stack Small 2.jpgNew Running Board Small.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks