• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

TsgtB

The guy at NAPA had to scratch his head and think it over a little this morning...
I told him to just cut off the ends (of my leaking fuel line) and crimp a new hose between them.....

Took him about 7 minutes and he charged me $7...
I'll wait a little bit, till the neighborhood looks more awake, before I fire it up....
:p

TsgtB

Well, the engine that had been preserved in a crate since 1992, fired up in less than a minute, about the third short push on the red button.
She came up to about 1100 rpm and stayed there.... good, solid, very little smoke.
Oil pressure popped to 30 and stayed there. I ran it a few minutes, shut it off, checked for leaks, checked the oil, let it sit a few minutes, checked to see that the air pump belt was good and tight, so I tightened the pulley bolts.

Fired up again like normal, let her run for about 20 minutes, good air pressure, oil pressure, temp came up a little but not much.
Sounded great, very sharp response to a little throttle bump.
Tried to adjust the idle at the pump, found my linkage needs some attention.
Pushed in the clutch and moved her forward a few feet on her own power, the clutch linkage need adjusting, full pedal is needed and clutch release point is just inches off the floor. So, I don't think there is enough length left on the clevis/shaft, so the arm needs to be rotated forward a notch or two....
and I found mouse droppings in the cab.... soooo.... time for some action there too.

All in all, considering its been a one pony show, I am very satisfied.

dezert ratt

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418435266.901231.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418435289.100605.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418435309.467136.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418435329.634300.jpg
Started with a harbor freight bed crane. I mounted a 2000 lb atv winch in place of the original hand crank. I need to add some plate and gussets to the bed, when I pick up a 395 mounted on a wheel with a runflat, the crane flexes the bed more than I would like. All in all so far I'm under $300 invested in this setup.

HanksDeuce

- Finished replacing the transfer case
- Installed a Vanner 50 amp equalizer, 35 amp + 80 amp circuit breakers, dual Blue Sea Systems fuse boxes (100A each) and a boat load of 4 gauge wire
- Removed the driver seat. Air ride seats in my future?
- Cranked it twice. Once for neighbors and again for some friends that came from out of town for the day. Almost drivable!

AvrgJoe

I noticed that the trucks painted with the desert tan CARC paint start to turn black after sitting in the Florida humidity for 6 months or more. Went down to the local Army Reserve & low & behold, all of their trucks are doing the same thing, but much worse than mine. Time must be a big factor in the equation. Anyway,
I got a scrub brush with comet & scrubbed all the black off. Is anybody else out there having this black mold problem on their tan painted trucks?
My truck has been setting in a conditioned warehouse since 2009, I've had it for about 3 months myself. I washed it today, it was only after I washed it I realized how ditry/ black my tan paint was. Looks like a whole other truck now. It was painted @ Toole in 1990.

SignalNco

Charged the batteries. Found out why the rear lights would not come on. Someone had cut the connectors and wires off clean with the harness. Cleaned out the back of the truck (with the help of my 2 boys), ripped off the old torn up cargo cover and replaced it with a NOS canvas cover. Just need to locate a front and rear curtain. Next project will be the fuel system.

hypertex

I've had the bobbed deuce for about a month and a half. Been reading madly to get familiar with the systems again, haven't driven one since the Army in early 80's.
Checked front axle last weekend and found eggnog colored oil. Already had replacement boots and seals so looked forward to cleaning this mess up. To my surprise when I took the passenger side apart, everything was amazingly clean i.e. all the grease was gone. Got down to popping out the inner axle seal and found it mounted backwards in the carrier. Got everything back together, adjusted the brakes and went for a test drive. Only 10 miles but so far so good, hubs are staying cool and no leaks.
Next is oil and filters. That job will tell me if I want to go the spin-on filter route.

Tenwheels

I just brought my first one home! Now I'm submerged up to my eyeballs in the process of locating an insurance company in PA. Everyone wants to commercially insure it, or collector car insurers require a garage. Who has a garage that big?!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks