• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Kloakndagr

Actually I once though the same thing. I was one of those guys who scratched tickets. I thought it was a $$$ thing, found out that wasn't so, only parking tickets went to the city, the rest went to a big pot for the state. I stopped scratching $$$ tickets, and went with fix it tickets. Those were $10, signed off by the clerk at the police department. Most of the time it was just warnings. Got sick of seeing the corruption, screw up move up mentality and seeing things that made me realize after 17 years in LE, what I was seeing was NOT the reason I became a cop -- retired early, now I triple dip.

rustystud

It's all about the money man, not "justice". That went away a long time ago.
So true Jeepsinker. Two years ago the town next door set up a little sting operation. They lowered the main road speed from 35MPH to 20 MPH. They put up little signs to say what they did but no one saw them. Myself and my wife both got caught. She paid, I went to fight it as I have a class "A" CDL license I have to have to work. At the court house I was told that as long as I paid the $200 fine ( Yes $200.00 !!! ) it would not go on my record. Can you say corruption !!!

Another Ahab

Actually I once though the same thing. I was one of those guys who scratched tickets. I thought it was a $$$ thing, found out that wasn't so, only parking tickets went to the city, the rest went to a big pot for the state. I stopped scratching $$$ tickets, and went with fix it tickets. Those were $10, signed off by the clerk at the police department. Most of the time it was just warnings. Got sick of seeing the corruption, screw up move up mentality and seeing things that made me realize after 17 years in LE, what I was seeing was NOT the reason I became a cop -- retired early, now I triple dip.
So true Jeepsinker. Two years ago the town next door set up a little sting operation. They lowered the main road speed from 35MPH to 20 MPH. They put up little signs to say what they did but no one saw them. Myself and my wife both got caught. She paid, I went to fight it as I have a class "A" CDL license I have to have to work. At the court house I was told that as long as I paid the $200 fine ( Yes $200.00 !!! ) it would not go on my record. Can you say corruption !!!
Not real encouraging messages, and guessing it's more about greed (driving the "corruption"). Seems like you can count on that explanation as the driving force behind most everything human (up to and including governments). None of us has enough. Greed fuels the motor. Sad, but predictable, you know?

Kloakndagr

If you really thought you were innocent or at least had an excuse of "not knowing" you should have went to court to explain the situation, shown a photo of the "small sign", date of change and the date of the ticket. Most judges from what I've seen testifying in traffic court as a cop are pretty lenient and fair. Sounds like you pleaded guilty or no contest (same as a guilty plea), I'd check your record, paying the fine doesn't mean it won't show up on your record.

Hainebd

Throughout history, those in power will take advantage. Good example are the Nevada officers confinscasing cash from travelers and not giving a receipt! They are instructed to do so. Got caught on utube braging about the cash, showing the incar video and audio to all.
The entire government is so cash strapped, they can't borrow cause the credit rating is so bad, what can they do to raise cash to increase their pay, raise taxes or rob from us in fines.
the point system iss not a deterrent. You go to court, pay a heavy fine, and no points. Also the town keeps the money. A point ticket, most of the fine goes to state. This is how NJ works.
i can also say you got lucky with the registration ticket. Impound, tow, and if accident you are responsible and your insurance may not cover.
best thing I can say is it will get worse before better. Even the mighty Romans fell!

Hainebd

Turned the heat on. My boy started right up with a spirt of starting fluid. Drove around the yard a little. Waited for school bus sitting in him since so cold. Some ice in the governor but melted out and air built up. I need to work on the sheet metal. Both fenders got bent up and both mirrors are tweeted due to trees. We did a haunted hay ride in him and I tried to drive with my bad shoulder. With the 395 tires you need both arms to aim in the right direction. Even the brand new fender got bent. Stupid on my part.

DatGuyC

Had the injectors cleaned and re-calibrated, runs better than ever now though I still want to see if the valves need adjusting. Also found out that an ar15 chamber brush is the perfect thing to clean out the injector tubes in the head.

RobM36A2

Had a testdrive last monday with the potential buyers.
Just 500 metres before the storage, my wheel bearings decided to destroy themselves.
Very bad timing, but hey, what can you do..

My buddy came over and we crawled the remaining distance to the storage lot.
Got the wheel off, also the hubcap and brake drum.. Result after we got most of the grease out, see pic..

Wiellager.jpg

After some cleaning and more cursing went to get bearings and some tools.
By the time we had those, it was dark. So when the weather cleares up and we have time, the repairs will resume..

RobM36A2

The buyers walk entirely?

Or are they coming back (after repairs)?
Don't know, he said he would be in touch. They had to walk to their van at the storage lot.
At that point I did not know what was wrong.
When I knew the problem, I thought it was decent to let him know what was wrong and I was going to fix it.

He was dissapointed there was no power steering (said in the ad, no power steering).
Also a truck with nose was not what he expected, 99.9% of the trucks here are COE.
He was a driver on a 5-axle cement mixer, COE with 3 steering axles and power steering..

Another Ahab

No Known Cure

Don't know, he said he would be in touch. They had to walk to their van at the storage lot.
At that point I did not know what was wrong.
When I knew the problem, I thought it was decent to let him know what was wrong and I was going to fix it.
He got close enough to get infected.

There's an incubation period...

Very likely; he'll be back.

green.jpg

oddshot

It's all about the money man, not "justice". That went away a long time ago.
New Jersey has been bad longer than most states. It's always been about revenue up there. If you think this is bad ... you ought to see what the property taxes are like. I was paying over $11,000 per year for a 3 bedroom ranch on a 100x100 lot in Hightstown. The town clerk was getting $125,000 per year salary.:shock::shock::shock:

I got out about 10 years ago and never looked back.

I can't imagine trying to drive a Deuce in central NJ.

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

You couldn't pay me enough to move back into a big city... Any big city, much less to the upper east coast or anywhere on the west coast. I lived in Denver for a few years and had enough, so I moved back home. And the main reason was the constant police harassment. Got tired of getting tickets every week for b.s. Haven't been pulled over a single time since I moved home in 08'

Another Ahab

New Jersey has been bad longer than most states. It's always been about revenue up there. If you think this is bad ... you ought to see what the property taxes are like. I was paying over $11,000 per year for a 3 bedroom ranch on a 100x100 lot in Hightstown. The town clerk was getting $125,000 per year salary.
You couldn't pay me enough to move back into a big city... Any big city, much less to the upper east coast or anywhere on the west coast. I lived in Denver for a few years and had enough, so I moved back home. And the main reason was the constant police harassment. Got tired of getting tickets every week for b.s. Haven't been pulled over a single time since I moved home in 08'
Nobody tickets like the "meter maids" in the District of Columbia; it's a BIG revenue machine:

- Got a ticket there once, while on a meter, for not having a front-mounted license plate.

- I was a Virginia resident, and never got a ticket in Virginia for the violation (didn't know it WAS a violation).

- But D.C. tickets me...for the VIRGINIA violation.

- Must have been some revenue-sharing scheme (like D.C. splits the revenue with Virginia, or something).

UFB. Needless to say, I don't travel into the District of Columbia if I don't have to. Can't nobody ticket like the District.

Last edited:

rustystud

If you really thought you were innocent or at least had an excuse of "not knowing" you should have went to court to explain the situation, shown a photo of the "small sign", date of change and the date of the ticket. Most judges from what I've seen testifying in traffic court as a cop are pretty lenient and fair. Sounds like you pleaded guilty or no contest (same as a guilty plea), I'd check your record, paying the fine doesn't mean it won't show up on your record.
It was not listed as a moving violation. It was like a bad parking ticket. My driving record is always monitored by the county, so if it had I would have been in trouble.

rustystud

Had a testdrive last monday with the potential buyers.
Just 500 metres before the storage, my wheel bearings decided to destroy themselves.
Very bad timing, but hey, what can you do..

My buddy came over and we crawled the remaining distance to the storage lot.
Got the wheel off, also the hubcap and brake drum.. Result after we got most of the grease out, see pic..

View attachment 539671

After some cleaning and more cursing went to get bearings and some tools.
By the time we had those, it was dark. So when the weather cleares up and we have time, the repairs will resume..
Looks like someone was playing in the mud and didn't clean their toy before putting it away.
That was one thing I really hated about being a Tank crewman. After a day of playing in the mud, you had to spend almost 3 hours hosing down everything on the Tank !!! Even crawling underneath to blast out the road wheels.

Last edited:

RobM36A2

Looks like someone was playing in the mud and didn't clean their toy before putting it away.
That was one thing I really hated about being a Tank crewman. After a day of playing in the mud, you had to spend almost 3 hours hosing down everything on the Tank !!! Even crawling underneath to blast out the road wheels.
Something like that.
More like: It's dark, I'm tired, lets do this tomorrow, followed by the next day sleeping in and trying to remember what I was planning to do.. :shrugs:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks