• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Another Ahab

Pulled all the kinked cable off the winch. Also filled the winch with trans fluid. Because there was no fluid in it. I found a leak behind he drum. I know trans fluid isn't supposed to be In it. I put trans fluid in basically so there is fluid in it and to flush it out. I still can't get the winch to free spool and it won't move into in position. So may need to pull it apart and rebuild it or inspect it
You might take a little heart in knowing:

- The winch is likely LONG overdue for a bit of PM service.

- I don't think there are THAT many parts to a winch (relatively speaking).

- And after you're done with the overhaul, you're going to be a whole lot more familiar with your truck then you were before you tackled this.

Good Luck, Brother! :tank:

brianp454

You're likely already aware of this, yet ATF (especially Dextron\Mercon 3 and newer) have lots of detergents and additives that help with flushing. One of the old shadetree tricks was to use ATF in places it wasn't meant for it and let the lighter oil and detergents flush out crud as you say. Of course, you don't run top RPM, top loading, etc. and take it easy while it has the ATF in it.

You might take a little heart in knowing:

- The winch is likely LONG overdue for a bit of PM service.

- I don't think there are THAT many parts to a winch (relatively speaking).

- And after you're done with the overhaul, you're going to be a whole lot more familiar with your truck then you were before you tackled this.

Good Luck, Brother! :tank:

Caseymikl

You're likely already aware of this, yet ATF (especially Dextron\Mercon 3 and newer) have lots of detergents and additives that help with flushing. One of the old shadetree tricks was to use ATF in places it wasn't meant for it and let the lighter oil and detergents flush out crud as you say. Of course, you don't run top RPM, top loading, etc. and take it easy while it has the ATF in it.
I don't have the shaft for the Winch. The ATF is just hanging out in there. I've gotta find out why my pto doesn't stop moving first. No matter where I put the lever. Unless I'm skipping over neutral. Which is a good possibility.

Can you put the pto in nutral (engine off) then go under the truck and try to turn the output shaft by hand. It should spin. I think what is happening in your case is that the oil in the pto is causing the shaft to spin.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you put the pto in nutral (engine off) then go under the truck and try to turn the output shaft by hand. It should spin. I think what is happening in your case is that the oil in the pto is causing the shaft to spin.
I bet that is what's happening too. There is no load on the Pto and the oil is spinning it. Just like how the transmission to transfer case shaft will slowly spin with the engine running and in neutral. Hook up a shaft and I bet that goes away.

rustystud

We used to call it the cheap man's engine flush. If the engine held 5 qts of oil then put in 4 and 1qt of ATF . After running it for awhile ( a few weeks ) you drain it and add new engine oil.
This sometimes would help with stuck lifters and sticking valves.

Another Ahab

We used to call it the cheap man's engine flush. If the engine held 5 qts of oil then put in 4 and 1qt of ATF . After running it for awhile ( a few weeks ) you drain it and add new engine oil.
Wondering if there's ever a reason NOT to do this:

-Anything negative about this "trick", rusty stud?

barefootin

Wondering if there's ever a reason NOT to do this:

-Anything negative about this "trick", rusty stud?
I'm not Rusty Stud, but I've seen the negatives to this and over the counter engine flush products a few times... It depends on the vehicle (oil screen fineness) and PM of that vehicle... I took a 5cyl paper weight out of an Audi one time that the guy did this... It cleaned up all the gunk that was in that engine from the poor PM (or no PM) that he did during his ownership... The oil pick up, pump galley, and screen were packed solid. I'll give the Germans one thing.... He drove it with no oil pressure for long enough to turn the crank the prettiest shades of reds, blues, and purples that I have ever seen (and not localized to the journals either). There was NOTHING salvageable in that engine... That being said, I've done it... :)

Rmtaunton

I have donr this but not for a few weeks just about ten miles then oil change , I have also poured dex3 in diesel tank but only a quart , with full tank , and yes you can smell it even at that low percentage

rustystud

By using the ATF for at least a week it gives the additives a chance to clean-up sludge that has built up over a long time. It would also help clean-up piston rings that had carbon build-up. Which actually led to some problems at times. An engine that burned a little oil would start to burn a lot of oil !

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ATF makes great deuce fuel. My employer's transmission shop lets me have some from time to time. I swear it runs better after a good road trip with some of that red stuff.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not Rusty Stud, but I've seen the negatives to this and over the counter engine flush products a few times... It depends on the vehicle (oil screen fineness) and PM of that vehicle... I took a 5cyl paper weight out of an Audi one time that the guy did this... It cleaned up all the gunk that was in that engine from the poor PM (or no PM) that he did during his ownership... The oil pick up, pump galley, and screen were packed solid. I'll give the Germans one thing.... He drove it with no oil pressure for long enough to turn the crank the prettiest shades of reds, blues, and purples that I have ever seen (and not localized to the journals either). There was NOTHING salvageable in that engine... That being said, I've done it... :)
Sounds like the guy ran Quaker State oil. My dad did in his car and when I rebuilt the engine, I had to scrape the caked oil/mud off the INSIDE of the block with a puddy knife before I could get it hot tanked.

welldigger

Yall do know that running modern detergent oils and changing your oil regularly prevents sludge build up. Basically eliminating the need to flush an engine.

chwhite0783

well yesterday I fixed bracket that holds radiator away from fan. two tubes of grease later everything was greased. changed front differential oil. aired up all the tires. topped off oil. gave her a small bath. heading out to gilbert not so bright and way too early in the am!rofl

FarmerRob

Just bought a radiator drain cock so I can finish the installation of the new radiator... after I solder up the hole from the damage caused by not properly protecting it while transporting it 1500 miles in the back of a truck. aua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks