• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Jeepsinker

Sorry for all your troubles AB. Hope you get it all sorted and in order shortly. Was your truck serviced before it was shipped to you? Brake wheel cylinders replaced, and the like?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

Sorry for all your troubles AB. Hope you get it all sorted and in order shortly. Was your truck serviced before it was shipped to you? Brake wheel cylinders replaced, and the like?
Yeah it as been serviced before it was sent.
When I checked the oil when I did the prestart check the oil was only a misty colour and not even black so the oil is fresh.
Even the coolant in the radiator is at the correct level!
I am off to go re-collect it in a few hours so I should have some good news to report.
Either that or some expensive news,...
sigh,....

Aussie.

wb1895

Well, it was last week, but....I tore down and rebuilt the LDT in my Deuce. Found the top compression ring on cylinders 1-5 broken, and cylinder 6 had all 3 compression rings broken into about 4 pieces each. Put in new bearings, new pistons, liners, rings, lapped the valves and put all new gaskets in. Flushed the radiator, put in a new thermostat and replaced all the coolant lines. Other than getting two injector lines backwards and not figuring out what the problem was for a few days, the tear down and build went without any real problems. I have drove her about 100 miles and now it is time to re-torque the heads, adjust the valve lash, and change the oil.

DavidWymore

Recovered a transmission - 3053A with winch PTO. First time removing a deuce trans. I looked at one of my trucks beforehand and picked out a selection of appropriate tools and we headed out. Ended up being a bit of a job. Picked the trans that felt the best, popped the floorpan and top cover, looked good inside. Discovered a bonus-it had a winch PTO attached which is great since I have a winch and no PTO (still need a shaft) but also meant we couldn't pull it out the top with the forklift and "stinger" as planned. Soft dirt lot, got the little forklift stuck, straightened out some bent up old landing mat by running it over with the pickup, got the FL around to the front of the donor truck, and picked it up. Donor had been robbed of it's front axle, among other things. Stacked RR ties under it, unbolted trans, finagled it around to get it loose. Repositioned forklift with "stinger" over trans and lowered it onto an old Chevy door for a skid. Donor truck was still a bit low, so we had to pick it back up to slide the trans out on the door/skid. Plunked in the back of the truck and headed home. Need to go get educated on the winch PTO. Not sure which truck it's going to end up in, the '70 if it becomes mine, or the '62 if not.

jbayer

Well, it was last week, but....I tore down and rebuilt the LDT in my Deuce. Found the top compression ring on cylinders 1-5 broken, and cylinder 6 had all 3 compression rings broken into about 4 pieces each. Put in new bearings, new pistons, liners, rings, lapped the valves and put all new gaskets in. Flushed the radiator, put in a new thermostat and replaced all the coolant lines. Other than getting two injector lines backwards and not figuring out what the problem was for a few days, the tear down and build went without any real problems. I have drove her about 100 miles and now it is time to re-torque the heads, adjust the valve lash, and change the oil.
Hello wb1895, Thant's quite an accomplishment. Did you have a second soldier helping you with it all?
Actually wb1895 WAS SOLDIER B :whistle:
Soldier A2.jpg Soldier A .jpg

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Recovered a transmission - 3053A with winch PTO. First time removing a deuce trans. I looked at one of my trucks beforehand and picked out a selection of appropriate tools and we headed out. Ended up being a bit of a job. Picked the trans that felt the best, popped the floorpan and top cover, looked good inside. Discovered a bonus-it had a winch PTO attached which is great since I have a winch and no PTO (still need a shaft) but also meant we couldn't pull it out the top with the forklift and "stinger" as planned. Soft dirt lot, got the little forklift stuck, straightened out some bent up old landing mat by running it over with the pickup, got the FL around to the front of the donor truck, and picked it up. Donor had been robbed of it's front axle, among other things. Stacked RR ties under it, unbolted trans, finagled it around to get it loose. Repositioned forklift with "stinger" over trans and lowered it onto an old Chevy door for a skid. Donor truck was still a bit low, so we had to pick it back up to slide the trans out on the door/skid. Plunked in the back of the truck and headed home. Need to go get educated on the winch PTO. Not sure which truck it's going to end up in, the '70 if it becomes mine, or the '62 if not.
I admire your resourceful-ness in this situation. Especially using the Chevy door as a skid. Working on trucks is a lot easier when you're MacGyver!!!

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,...

Post Mission report.

Got up today and went out to go collect my Deuce from the brake place.
Arived around 11am and there is my Deuce just where I left it.
The brake line has been replace along the front axle, they reused the armour that was on the original line as the armour that was sent to them for the replacement line was just slightly smaller in diameter.
I have it as I can use it elsewhere.
The brake peddle now feels a lot better, firmer and all the way.
The truck stops much better.
Still not as good as disc brakes but for a 6.5 ton truck with drum brakes all around, not bad at all.
I will just have to change my driving to allow for slightly longer stopping distance.
Also, until I got it onto the highway she blew blueish grey smoke under load, I put that down to all the time it has been sitting idle and some unburnt full in the exhaust sytem from turning it over to get it started 2 days ago,....

Anyway, $300.00 later from not only the brake line fix but getting the rear wheel put on CORRECTLY I thanked the guy for his work and we left to go fill the fuel tank for the run home.
I put 160ltrs in the tank and just short of brimmed the tank as I had just on 100klms/60miles to go and when I got there the tank had the correct fuel level in it for a full tank!
The fuel gauge shows just over 3/4 of a tank when it is at this level.
Something to keep in mind for future reference.
While I was filling up some old guys in a ute stopped on the other side of the pump to look the truck over and I had a couple of truck drivers walk around having a good look-see!
I think the Deuce is a people pleaser!
I have to admit the steering is heavy and I will need to get used to that big steering wheel and how many turns it takes to go around corners!
It is better at road speed of course.
Once on the highway I stayed in the left lanes all the way back as I kept to 45miles an hour or in our terms 75 kilometres an hour and that was fun when the speed limit is 100klm.
I kept the tachometer at 2k-21kRPM and she runs smooth there.
I got off the main highway and went home a back way on the old highway with less traffic until I needed to get onto the country roads.
Funny thing is I was passed by a Police booze buss and a 'dog-box' (Divy-van) when on the highway both vehicles as they passed had the people inside cheaking the truck out.
Later on the country road I was again passed by a country cop in his 4x4 who slowed a little to cheak out the truck but kept going,...
I will need to spend at least a day putting everything back where it belongs that was NOT refitted by those who 'cleaned it'.
And then I will need to clean it correctly and detail it!
Now it is safely home and in storage I have drained the air tanks, not as much moisture in them as I was expecting.
But a solid stream initially, clear fluid then vapour until just air.
I will also have to tighten the mirrors as they moved a couple of times and I had to push them back a little.
Oh and I must not forget the front left indicator globe that's not working.
As I did a final walk around I did notice some small wet droplet patches that look like it might be brake fluid from the rear brakes on the rear wheels/tyres.
Will have to track that down, also while under the Deuce I did notice some fresh oil leaks around drive line components and down side of engine,...
Will have to clean all that and make sure its not a major issue or just part of Deuce ownership!
Pictures/ video to follow.

End Report.

rustystud

You will have to get used to people checking you out Aussie Bloke. Even here in the states where this truck comes from people will stare at you and come over and ask questions. I have never had anyone come over and say anything negative about my truck either. You would think that at least one person would say something along the lines of "why do you drive a war vehicle" or something else like that. But I have never had anyone say anything bad. The usual response is "that is so cool ! how did you get this truck ? " . I have had people that where "too" curious though ! They wanted to know "where" I lived ! and how much it would take to "sell" my truck.

DavidWymore

You will have to get used to people checking you out Aussie Bloke. Even here in the states where this truck comes from people will stare at you and come over and ask questions. I have never had anyone come over and say anything negative about my truck either. You would think that at least one person would say something along the lines of "why do you drive a war vehicle" or something else like that. But I have never had anyone say anything bad. The usual response is "that is so cool ! how did you get this truck ? " . I have had people that where "too" curious though ! They wanted to know "where" I lived ! and how much it would take to "sell" my truck.
I drove a few hours thru CA with just my donor bed on the trailer and the cab sitting in it...still got smiles, waves, and questions.

Another Ahab

. I have had people that where "too" curious though ! They wanted to know "where" I lived ! and how much it would take to "sell" my truck.
But sometimes the price can be JUST right":

- The wife of a buddy of mine is a retired personal trainer.

- Some lady in the city where they live had two friends who all wanted a personal trainer, and they knew about my buddy's wife (she was good).

- Lady asked if she would train them all; "No, she says i'm retired".

- "We'll pay you good money".

- "No, thank you".

- The lady then made an offer that dropped the jaw of my buddy's wife (the lady was from BIG money).

My buddy's wife now trains these three ladies personally, and apparently everyone involved is happy with the arrangement.

So. You never know when the price MIGHT be right. The End.

PS Keep Fit! :mrgreen:

HanksDeuce

Put in a transfer case lever shifter boot. No more hot air gusts from the floor. A/C just got colder! :D

Check out my build thread below for more details. I only put highlights in this thread.

Next up, a flag pole mount for 2 Veteran's Day Parades next weekend (Sat/Sun)!

Attachments

RotorAV8R

Several small maintenance items but its what I did WITH it that's more interesting. I took 8 loads of logs to my house from 45 minutes away. This was one of the lighter loads because the smaller logs pack together tighter. Cruised at 45-50 but slowed to 15 or 20 on 1 real steep hill.
deuce_logs.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks