• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

JohnnyBM931A2

View attachment 602976

I would imagine that they might be available for just one door depending on the seller.
I got mine as a pair, because I wanted to be able to lock and unlock both doors, from
the outside, with keys that were keyed-alike.

NOTE: Pic upload is working again!!!!!! :jumpin:
I'm curious.. Why do some people like to have the door handles vertical instead of horizontal? That just seems a little more awkward to me.

AZK9

I'm curious.. Why do some people like to have the door handles vertical instead of horizontal? That just seems a little more awkward to me.
I think that it's probably just become a personal preference type of thing for some folks. :shrugs:

Still... from my own experience, the placement has been vertical on most of the 2 1/2 ton trucks that I've seen
over the years on military bases. On my last trip up to Fort Dix... that was overwhelmingly the case. Vertical on
the trucks most similar to mine.

It's funny that you brought this up, because as soon as my new lockable handles arrived, I was researching
how best to mount them (even though the originals were also vertical). I took special notice of the handle
placement and it was obvious that vertical won out after counting the vehicles parked as surplus at Fort Dix.

I still wanted more info before installing them, so I checked my go-to book to see if I could verify what I had seen
firsthand on base. In the 2nd edition of David Doyle's, standard catalog of U.S. Military Vehicles, I looked at the photos
provided in the 2 1/2 ton section. Almost all of them were placed in the vertical position. So... that was all I needed. I
put them in the vertical way. :) I'm pleased with how they look on my 1970 M35A2.

Now... after all that... as long as they function properly, I think it's just one of those things that's up to the individual
deuce owner! [thumbzup]

I took my Deuce for a road trip today. I drove 100 miles out to the Tobyhanna Army Depot to pick up some tents that I bought from GL. This was my first long distance trip with the deuce. Everything went well. I did notice that I have an oil leak. When the ground drys off I'll crawl under and take a look.
I noticed something else that I thought was interesting. When driving up an 8% grade, if I start at the bottom with the RPM at 2700 with my foot to the floor, it would stay at 2700 rpm all the way to the top. If I did the same thing at 2500 RPM, I would gradually slow to about 45 mph. It seems like she runs the best with the tach needle tickling the danger zone.
It was a good day. Now I have to sort through all of the tents and see what I have.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ahab the spare and a back inner tire are starting to look a lil rough decided to just change them out so all the tires would be in the same condition.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Went and saw the good people at tnj Murray picked up some parts. Then changed out a much needed spare for the first time.
First time I changed a spare on my deuce I learned the hard way to wear steel toe boots and not sandals. And stand back! That spare tire winch is a little scary. I also learned some new cuss words.

AZK9

... That spare tire winch is a little scary. I also learned some new cuss words.
LOL !! :funny:

Just prior to taking ownersuip of my deuce, the previous owner and I were looking over all the various
aspects of the essential systems and parts of the M35A2. Since the PO knew I had very little experience
with a deuce, he went into a lot of detail and related much of his cautionary information via his personal
experiences.

During one of those instances, he walked around to the spare tire and said, "Most people will tell you that
an Army truck like this is completely American made. But... don't let them fool you. The spare tire winch
is a French creation. We call it the guillotine."
He then proceeded to show me why!! :shock:

Having a spare tire right there, close to the ground and easily accessible, when needed, is worth a ton.
Having your toes still attached to your feet once the spare has touched the ground..... priceless! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks