• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well today I finally got my friends M35 to start! After installing a repaired fuel injector pump, I proceeded to do the timing. His engine is a LDT465-1 and SO i CHOSE THE ENGINE DAMPER TO BLOCK TIMING ALIGNMENT ACCORDING TO THE DIAGRAM OFFERED THE TM'S But the damper doesn't have the exact engine number, so I choose to align to the midpoint on the damper. See photo of damper markings. Then I aligned the marker in the 4 bolt window atop the injector pump, then I verified the red marker on the gear in the hydraulic head. Well, it would start with brake fluid and then continue to run on diesel, but would not start on diesel itself!

So I realigned the damper to the first marking , effectively advancing the fuel injection on the compression stroke. Put it all together and bingo! It starts immediately and runs smooth too...

Attachments

1bonehead

I did my Maintenance on the Duece. Grease, Oil, Fuel filters and checked the vents for the Trans and transfer case. Both vents were non functional. Replaced them with 1/4" poly tubing and ran the vent into the air filter intake area.
Topped of the brake fluid and drove it around.
I need a new tach cable and to tighten up the gauge clusters. I also need to fix my light showing the front air locker is engaged.
Grtting ready to drive it next Sunday down to meet a few others trying to pay tribute to soldiers.

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got another countertop for my shop van , wired in the last of the lights. And replaced 6 screens for the Windows !

Jericho

Cut and installed nice grey mat on the cab floor , runs side to side, Finally got my pioneer rack back together and all the tools on, Installed a radio, c/band Ham radio. antennas and an overhead console to house it all, still need to finish up the Rt 524 hook up.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took a page out of RustyStud's book and redid my exhaust with an elbow, short section of flex, and a stack flap.

Trying to get the truck ready for a little show this weekend. Not sure if I'll make it.
I had read somewhere (blasted failing memory) that a stack flap wasn't good of a Deuce & to leave the angled exhaust. I always thought flaps would be better (& they look cool) at keeping junk & rain our of the pipes. Also wouldn't need a soda bottle to climb up & put on to keep the junk out. Guess I'm asking for confirmation that flaps are safe for my Deuce (when I finally get it).

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Exhaust stack flaps are perfectly safe to operate on these trucks. Ensure they fit correctly and are flush when static. I have them on several trucks and tractors. Tractor Supply carries a nice assortment of sizes.
Change the cheap bolt out with a good SAE bolt w/ lock nut.

rustystud

I had read somewhere (blasted failing memory) that a stack flap wasn't good of a Deuce & to leave the angled exhaust. I always thought flaps would be better (& they look cool) at keeping junk & rain our of the pipes. Also wouldn't need a soda bottle to climb up & put on to keep the junk out. Guess I'm asking for confirmation that flaps are safe for my Deuce (when I finally get it).
The stack flap is a "Good" thing to have. That's why the military installed them on the deuces later on. Keeps the rain and crap out when not in use. Just be sure to put the flap facing the rear of the truck !

I can never seem to remember to put my jug on until it's already raining. Then it's a trip outside in the wet and the cold and the mud. A flap is on my list.

I'd probably remember if I could put the jug on right after I shut down the truck.. till I get a flap maybe I'll switch to a metal can.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our Deuce does not have the Whistler Turbo.

Does a flapper effect the tone of the whistle? Or is that all "internal" with the turbo.

Which makes me think.... Does anyone make a WHISTLE DEVICE that will "Sing" in the passing exhaust?... Just wondering.

Carry on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks