• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

camnite

flagabuse.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/DeepSouthSpeedway/photos/a.473725486157781.1073741838.440170952846568/473727452824251/?type=3

Last edited by a moderator:

drivebymashing

I dont have facebook.... Thanks rusty. It took 20 hours to redo sideboards in cluding cutting the wood predrilling. Grinding old paint off priming and repainting. Another 20 to paint truck. 40 hours so far not including all the P.M. Ive done on truck, new belts hoses alternator fluids in everything patching a hole in the radiator adding a heater and a block heater plus a coolant filter. Added a front pintle. Crap no wonder im broke.... Also have done new seats. Painting the interior is next. I read something about a sound deadening for the floor....

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I drove out to M35A2-AZ's shop, paid for my first Deuce, hopped in, and drove it home for the very first time. Now it is safe & secure in its new garage home. Best of all, it fits! I couldn't be happier if it came with 5,000 pounds of gold bars in the bed.

20160703_094725.jpgIMAG6516.jpg

:naner::naner::tank::tank::beer::clinto::clinto::clinto::jumpin:[thumbzup]

Another Ahab

The Cherry wood might not be the strongest choice, but it looks really nice ! There was another wood that is extremely strong and weather resistant someone mentioned recently. Does anyone remember ?
I don't know what was mentioned, but either Spanish Cedar or Siberian Larch are both good that way.

The question though is whether you can find them in your area (neither one is real common).

rustystud

I drove out to M35A2-AZ's shop, paid for my first Deuce, hopped in, and drove it home for the very first time. Now it is safe & secure in its new garage home. Best of all, it fits! I couldn't be happier if it came with 5,000 pounds of gold bars in the bed.

View attachment 631518View attachment 631517

:naner::naner::tank::tank::beer::clinto::clinto::clinto::jumpin:[thumbzup]
Looking real good ! The only problem is it is so nice you won't want to take it out and play with it !

rustystud

I dont have facebook.... Thanks rusty. It took 20 hours to redo sideboards in cluding cutting the wood predrilling. Grinding old paint off priming and repainting. Another 20 to paint truck. 40 hours so far not including all the P.M. Ive done on truck, new belts hoses alternator fluids in everything patching a hole in the radiator adding a heater and a block heater plus a coolant filter. Added a front pintle. Crap no wonder im broke.... Also have done new seats. Painting the interior is next. I read something about a sound deadening for the floor....
I use "Dynamat Extreme" for the floor and walls and ceiling. Stuff works great but it is expensive.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking real good ! The only problem is it is so nice you won't want to take it out and play with it !
Sure, I will. This just keeps it from fading in the brutal AZ son. Also, the metal gets down right burnable (to hands) after being in the sun here a short time. Plus I can sleep well knowing that nobody is messing with it while I'm at work or home sleeping.

I do keep thinking about the NDTs & how people say they are terrible for traction in rain or snow. Though we never get snow in Phoenix & seldom rain, if I ever took it north, I don't want to go sliding off the road. Tires are definitely a future plan, but no time soon. Just going to drive in its pristine condition & enjoy it.

I drove it on the Interstate at 2200rpm, which had it going 48-50mph. My wife was happy in the chase vehicle as it was easy to keep up. :)

Last edited:

restlessrobie

Just getting started with my new toy but she got all her fluids changed today and a front wheel bearing/axle shaft grease change to start.
15 gallons of different oils luckily I work for a auto repair facility so I get a discount on fluids etc. Have yet to name the old girl yet but AWE **** comes to mind.
Because every time I fix on hack job from a previous owner I have to say AWE **** as I find why they hacked it that way.

duece2.jpg

rustystud

Just getting started with my new toy but she got all her fluids changed today and a front wheel bearing/axle shaft grease change to start.
15 gallons of different oils luckily I work for a auto repair facility so I get a discount on fluids etc. Have yet to name the old girl yet but AWE **** comes to mind.
Because every time I fix on hack job from a previous owner I have to say AWE **** as I find why they hacked it that way.

View attachment 631704
Now that's funny ! rofl

Another Ahab

Rock Maple, sometimes called birds eye maple, or Ipay pronounced E-Pay a relative to mahogany
You are absolutely right, Jericho: Maple and Ipé are excellent choices.

Bird's eye is really a figuring instead of a wood species, and nobody has ever really been able to explain it. It occurs in various species, and maple is one of those; beautiful stuff. Here's a link about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird%27s_eye_figure

rustystud

You are absolutely right, Jericho: Maple and Ipé are excellent choices.

Bird's eye is really a figuring instead of a wood species, and nobody has ever really been able to explain it. It occurs in various species, and maple is one of those; beautiful stuff. Here's a link about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird%27s_eye_figure
All these different types of wood sound great, but I need one that I can actually afford ! A friend of mine said "Ironwood" is a good wood that will hold up to rough use and outside exposure. Anyone know of a cheaper and more easily acquired wood ? I know Home Depot doesn't sell anything near what I want, but some wood specialty stores would. I just don't want to depend on what the salesman says is the best for me. After all they might just be trying to unload some trash wood they got a deal on and I'm the sucker they want to buy it.

jbayer

All these different types of wood sound great, but I need one that I can actually afford ! A friend of mine said "Ironwood" is a good wood that will hold up to rough use and outside exposure. Anyone know of a cheaper and more easily acquired wood ? I know Home Depot doesn't sell anything near what I want, but some wood specialty stores would. I just don't want to depend on what the salesman says is the best for me. After all they might just be trying to unload some trash wood they got a deal on and I'm the sucker they want to buy it.
Hey rustystud,
You don't think Red Oak from Home Depot will hold up?

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?67703-What-did-you-do-to-your-deuce-this-week/page90
Post #3565

pjwest03

In the Southern Tier of New York where I am, black locust would be be a prime choice. Farmers have used it for fence posts for ever. There are still some fence lines around that were put in before WWII. It's plentiful and cheap in these parts. The old stand by for truck sides and trailer floors around here is white oak. White oak planks are the standard for lining the floors of heavy equipment trailers. Another common one here is also ash. Nearly as strong as oak and the boards will stay straight as an arrow.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks