• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1513.jpgDSCF1515.jpg I've been prepping the wood on my trucks racks and troop seats for a repaint, and decided it was finally time to straighten the metal, and replace the hardware on the rack mounts. There were no washers under the nuts, so when they were tightened down they pooched the holes, and the rack assembly was loose and rattled. So I straightened the metal, installed new bolts with flat and lock washers to keep things tight and not warp the metal. Next job finish the prepping and then paint. On the road the racks and troop seats rattled pretty bad so I hope the repairs will make for a quieter ride.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Started replacing mine and using all stainless hardware. The non-load bearing boards are pine, the troop seat parts are oak.

View attachment 639482
nchittendon, looking good. I have a troop seat board on the right side that is in need of replacement. I would like to use oak, but in a small town good wood is hard to come by. Seems just about everything in stock is pine or particle board. And just like good wood stainless or grade 8 hardware is special order.:cry:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
nchittendon, looking good. I have a troop seat board on the right side that is in need of replacement. I would like to use oak, but in a small town good wood is hard to come by. Seems just about everything in stock is pine or particle board. And just like good wood stainless or grade 8 hardware is special order.:cry:
Might not be the route you want to take, but I just buy my Grade 8 hardware in bulk on eBay (like 25-100, depending on size of the bolt). Bolts, washers, nyloc-nuts etc. It's about 10 times cheaper per bolt. Sure, I spend more but I get a _a lot_ more hardware for the money.

tobyS

Might not be the route you want to take, but I just buy my Grade 8 hardware in bulk on eBay (like 25-100, depending on size of the bolt). Bolts, washers, nyloc-nuts etc. It's about 10 times cheaper per bolt. Sure, I spend more but I get a _a lot_ more hardware for the money.
Wow, my local farm supply has grade 8 at $4.35/lb for course thread and $4.85 for fine (sold by weight) as well as all the lesser grades. Having supplies locally is a big plus...but I do have to travel for steel.

Davis Welding

When I was a lot younger I used to go to the mud pits. It was a lot of fun ! Now that I'm old and tired I don't want to spend half a day pressure washing my truck !

Yes sir. Mine is sitting in the yard with the sprinkler under it now!! It was fun but clean up is never fun!

On to the PlyDeuce. I have been working on the A/C and power steering. The A/C system is a bastard of Gm/Ford/Amana/and god knows what else parts. The GM compressor mounted up like it was meant to be there. I modded a Chevy water pump pulley to bolt on the backside of the MF water pump puller, to drive the compressor. I will get some better pictures. This smartphone takes some pretty stupidly awful photos!

IMG_20160810_172110.jpgIMG_20160810_175149.jpgIMG_20160811_175344.jpg

tobyS

Yes sir. Mine is sitting in the yard with the sprinkler under it now!! It was fun but clean up is never fun!

On to the PlyDeuce. I have been working on the A/C and power steering. The A/C system is a bastard of Gm/Ford/Amana/and god knows what else parts. The GM compressor mounted up like it was meant to be there. I modded a Chevy water pump pulley to bolt on the backside of the MF water pump puller, to drive the compressor. I will get some better pictures. This smartphone takes some pretty stupidly awful photos!

View attachment 639528View attachment 639529View attachment 639530
Do you have a build thread on this...please start one.

Another Ahab

Started replacing mine and using all stainless hardware. The non-load bearing boards are pine, the troop seat parts are oak.
I'm sold on replacing weather-exposed hardware with stainless whenever I can.

But then I live not too far from a West Marine boating store, which makes that easy (you can buy individual pieces as needed).

The cost is minor compared to the peace-of-mind. Stainless is a no-brainer I'm thinking (if you got ready access to it).

nchittendon

I'm sold on replacing weather-exposed hardware with stainless whenever I can.

But then I live not too far from a West Marine boating store, which makes that easy (you can buy individual pieces as needed).

The cost is minor compared to the peace-of-mind. Stainless is a no-brainer I'm thinking (if you got ready access to it).
So far every bolt i've replaced has been stainless. UNLESS it is something that needs strength and has a grade 8 already. Then I stick with tried and true grade 8.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have very little rain and snow here compared to where I lived in So. Cal.. We were 2 miles in from the ocean and metal corrosion was a problem. I guess what I miss most is the convienience of going down to the local Ace Hardware, getting what I need and going home and finishing the job. And yes I have ordered some hard to get hardware off e-bay. I'm with ya there.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 639528View attachment 639529View attachment 639530
Yes start a thread. You got some cool stuff going on.[thumbzup]

Another Ahab

We have very little rain and snow here compared to where I lived in So. Cal.. We were 2 miles in from the ocean and metal corrosion was a problem. I guess what I miss most is the convienience of going down to the local Ace Hardware, getting what I need and going home and finishing the job. And yes I have ordered some hard to get hardware off e-bay. I'm with ya there.
I'm all over Ace Hardware (when you can find them); they got the big box stores all beat hands-down. But the best are the old Mom-and-Pops hardware stores. Believe it or not there are still 2-3 of those around here yet in D.C., but all that is going f-a-s-t.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agreed! In Costa Mesa Calif. we had one of those Mom & Pop stores called Wright's Hardware. They carried tons of hardware, even aircraft stuff in Titanium and Aluminum. They closed several years ago due to competition from the chain stores. Yes going f-a-s-t.:cry:

Another Ahab

I'm all over Ace Hardware (when you can find them); they got the big box stores all beat hands-down. But the best are the old Mom-and-Pops hardware stores. Believe it or not there are still 2-3 of those around here yet in D.C., but all that is going f-a-s-t.
It just struck me; might be only (2) left in the D.C area now:

- Frager's Hardware on Capitol Hill burned down a few months back.

- That leaves Cherrydale Hardware in Arlington (VA), and

- Executive Lock & Key in Alexandria (VA).

- And there are a couple of Ace Hardwares (Tenleytown DC, and Potomac MD).

Probably something up in PG County, too, but I'm just not too familiar with all the territory out that way.

It's funny, Washington, D.C used to be just a kind of sleepy Southern Town that could "dress up" successfully when it had to, but all of that is so fast going away. There's big money to be made as the city grows, and everything in the way "has to go".

m109a2

I have to agree we lost our Ace few years ago,But we still have a couple of mom and pop shops here and both are run by women.But not just any woman,One is third generation and the other is 2nd.Several months ago I had to replace the quick disconnect out the t right before the glad hand valve on my deuce to operate,Air line and chuck and air tools and such.Any who I did not think to bring the leaking part with me,To my surprise she told me there a three kinds of quick disconnect air lines connectors so she suggested that I buy all three staple the recite to little brown bag and and return them whenever I got a chance.Well the one she suggested dry fitted fine put the Teflon and done.Went back and made adapters who knows.Al.

Another Ahab

I have to agree we lost our Ace few years ago,But we still have a couple of mom and pop shops here and both are run by women.But not just any woman,One is third generation and the other is 2nd.Several months ago I had to replace the quick disconnect out the t right before the glad hand valve on my deuce to operate,Air line and chuck and air tools and such.Any who I did not think to bring the leaking part with me,To my surprise she told me there a three kinds of quick disconnect air lines connectors so she suggested that I buy all three staple the recite to little brown bag and and return them whenever I got a chance.Well the one she suggested dry fitted fine put the Teflon and done.Went back and made adapters who knows.Al.
That is what I'll miss about these kinds of places when the last one closes their door.

Frager was asked if he'd re-open after the fire. He said it just wasn't going to happen. Everything changes.

rustystud

Wow, my local farm supply has grade 8 at $4.35/lb for course thread and $4.85 for fine (sold by weight) as well as all the lesser grades. Having supplies locally is a big plus...but I do have to travel for steel.
I get most all my bolts from "Tacoma Screw" here, but you can order online at "Bolt Depot" . They sell all the bolts you would ever need ie: grade 8, stainless steel, brass, you name it at great prices.

rustystud

That is what I'll miss about these kinds of places when the last one closes their door.

Frager was asked if he'd re-open after the fire. He said it just wasn't going to happen. Everything changes.
We still have a family owned Hardware Store that has 4 branches here called "Mclendon's Hardware" . They carry an amazing amount of stuff the box stores don't even think about. There is also a hardware store in "Ballard" (a district in Seattle) appropriately called "Ballard Hardware" that is truly amazing ! The store is a maze and different employees need to memorize their section ! I actually got lost following an employee once ! They carry things I haven't seen since I was a young lad going to the hardware store with my father ! The problem is the land is worth so much today that once the present family members running the store die off I believe the children will just sell it off ! :-(

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks