• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

brianp454

I get many of my fasteners at Tacoma Screw also. It's been on my to-do list for a week to go there before work, yet haven't gotten it done yet. I'm in the middle of one of those "100 things" events for my truck.

mjcdetroit

I drag-raced a stranger in a 5-ton on Woodward Avenue in Royal Oak, Michigan in my Deuce during the Woodward Dream Cruise event. He won by a couple of feet. I let off when I saw that a very nice and expensive looking classic muscle car (a Cutlass 442, I think) was directly in front of me. It was fun.

jbayer

Modified some PVC valve grommets to replace my rusted away fwd frame grommets, the ones in the frame, under the Radiator that the wires for the front turn sinals/parking lights run through.
cut down bushings.jpg
Cut the shoulders down a little. Put a one inch rubber drum sanding arbor in them, chucked it in the drill press, and used a utility knife to cut them downunpainted bushing inbd.jpg
unpainted bushing outboard.jpg
Test fit.
painted bushing inside.jpg
painted bushing outbd.jpg
Sealed, and painted.
Now to install new front wire harness.

AZK9

... They sell all the bolts you would ever need ie: grade 8, stainless steel, brass, you name it at great prices.
When I'm east... in South Jersey, I get most of the things you listed at an awesome place in Glassboro, NJ.
It's called, Joseph Fazzio Steel.

They've got everything and anything! I get lost in there. It's almost as much fun as walking
and searching through a 'salvage yard'.

I get all my steel and aluminum there for the mods I'm doing to my deuce. Problem is... I end up spending too much time up there when I make the trip! :shrugs:

ScubaCat

Got the new Firestone T831s mounted on my powder coated wheels! Also rebuilding the whole brake system. Rebuilt all wheel cylinders and I'm replacing every brake line. It's comforting seeing brand new brake lines everywhere.
Is this truck running just the out wheel of a dual wheel set-up? Never seen someone do that...

Another Ahab

I drag-raced a stranger in a 5-ton on Woodward Avenue in Royal Oak, Michigan in my Deuce during the Woodward Dream Cruise event. He won by a couple of feet. I let off when I saw that a very nice and expensive looking classic muscle car (a Cutlass 442, I think) was directly in front of me. It was fun.
It's good you held off, I'm thinking.

Here's an incident in the D.C. area that made some local news recently. Parallel parking isn't her thing, and the driver apparently didn't hold off:

https://youtu.be/jkVQk0S_Lxc

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's good you held off, I'm thinking.

Here's an incident here in the D.C. area that made some local news recently. Parallel parking isn't her thing, and the driver apparently didn't let off:

https://youtu.be/jkVQk0S_Lxc
Those darn mis-matched bumper heights.... There ought to be a LAW!.....

Oh no!!! Wait a minute.... If there was a LAW then somebody might notice the mismatch between the bumper or bumperettes on a Deuce of 5-Ton with that leading edge on the Ferrari.
Dang! You'd think that for $300-400 THOUSAND you could get a HIGHER BUMPER on that lil' sports car, huh????

Oh, well. At least is was only a Mercedes and not an M-Vee that backed onto the hood.

Carry on.

archmark

Started prepping my M185 for winter this weekend by installing a NOS boxed heater that came with the truck when I purchased it. I've attached scans of the instructions if anybody else is getting ready to do this install. The SS Guru can move the scans to the appropriate location if he wants.

While my truck was built in '66 and the instructions were originally drafted in 1950 and revised numerous times through 1967, they were fairly helpful but are full of several inconsistencies between the 2 pages and the parts that I pulled out of the box. No way the flex hose from the "side hood panel" air intake scoop will bend and fit onto the fan housing for one thing and the switch locations are shown in different places between the sheets. So much for USGI accuracy. Next up will be the air-assist steering system. I can only imagine how much information is bass ackwards on those instructions...

View attachment Scan 1.pdf View attachment Scan 2.pdf

Another Ahab

Started prepping my M185 for winter this weekend by installing a NOS boxed heater that came with the truck when I purchased it. I've attached scans of the instructions if anybody else is getting ready to do this install. The SS Guru can move the scans to the appropriate location if he wants.

While my truck was built in '66 and the instructions were originally drafted in 1950 and revised numerous times through 1967, they were fairly helpful but are full of several inconsistencies between the 2 pages and the parts that I pulled out of the box. No way the flex hose from the "side hood panel" air intake scoop will bend and fit onto the fan housing for one thing and the switch locations are shown in different places between the sheets. So much for USGI accuracy. Next up will be the air-assist steering system. I can only imagine how much information is bass ackwards on those instructions...
That's a real confidence booster, I bet. :jumpin: :mrgreen:

Seth_O

Started the re-furb of the new-to-me hardtop for my deuce. When I purchased the deuce it was a soft-top. Like all soft-tops the front stitching quickly let go. I repaired that with the siding j-channel trick and it worked like a charm. Fast-forward several years and I have long weather-tears in my top and water in my cab.

A fellow SS'er gifted me a hardtop in rough condition. This week I tore it apart and have started stripping the paint off. Anybody know what the blue gunk underneath the paint is? Everywhere that was still intact the metal was in good shape. Everywhere else, not so much.

Definitely have some holes I need to fix. Some I can weld up, a bunch of it I'll need to cut out and weld in patches. I also ordered some rust converter. Before, during and after pics of the tear-down of the cap. Still have a ways to go.

20160806_095105.jpg

20160806_095123.jpg

20160820_141310 (1).jpg

20160820_154544 (1).jpg

20160820_173139.jpg

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here I am removing the hydraulic head from Truck 5. I am using an come-a-long to pull the truck , in gear, so as to alighn the RED MARK on the hydro head so I can pull it out. The first two pictures I am using a 1 1/2 to roller type come-a-long, and the next two pics I'm using a 3 ton chain come-a-long ( much easier)...

Attachments

theeDIZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a 30a rv style power inlet. Finished up my breaker box (for now). Hooked up exhaust and drain for my portable a/c. Made a little flush mounted shelf for a dvd player.

Attachments

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here I am having installed yet another replacement Hydraulic head for the M35 multi fuel engine, Even thouigh I installed a new "button" and retainer, I am now noticing when I press down on the button end of the hydro head , there is a measure of free play ( clearance ) in the button shaft before the shaft engages what must be the internal plunger assebly.And when I installed this head on the fuel injector pump, , there is no fuel being delivered to theb injectors. Is there asupposed to be any clearence in ths button shaft movement? Who is rebuilding these hudro heads?

Attachments

rustystud

And here I am having installed yet another replacement Hydraulic head for the M35 multi fuel engine, Even thouigh I installed a new "button" and retainer, I am now noticing when I press down on the button end of the hydro head , there is a measure of free play ( clearance ) in the button shaft before the shaft engages what must be the internal plunger assebly.And when I installed this head on the fuel injector pump, , there is no fuel being delivered to theb injectors. Is there asupposed to be any clearence in ths button shaft movement? Who is rebuilding these hudro heads?
You just have the worst luck with Hydraulic Heads ! Who are you buying them from ?

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll pretend its still Sunday, and practice good Christian manners, by not telling you of a certain disreputable individual here in Florida....BUt actually these heads came from a varietyb of different M35 trucks and spare engines I bought, rather than me purchasing them as parts. I do have a reliable source of heads in Gimpyrob. May I take the opportunity to say that all the parts I bought from him are winners.!Do you have a source you can recommend Rustystud?

onemanarmy

Drove it about 40 miles (inaugural run since I've owned it)

Did pretty well. Held speed, no odd issues.

I did notice that at the end of the run, the electric fuel pump was howling a bit and just sounded 'off'

Looked on Ebay for replacements, doesn't appear to be much out there. Hopefully the original (I'm guessing) holds on for a bit longer.

jbayer

Started installing the new front Harness, rebuilt the Harness clamps that go on the inside of the frame rails with some rubberized heat shrink. These clamps have a 1/2" hole and attach to the U-shaped tie-down fittings. I also relocated my turn signal flasher to the firewall cause I didn't like it on the fender. (I don't know why.)

20160826_165208.jpg 20160823_164406.jpg 20160823_164428.jpg20160823_164658.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks