• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

You're just on a lucky streak, Aussie Bloke.

But you know that "three's the charm"!

I didn't mention that the cooling system is weeping a little, I thought it might have been the heater but it look like its coming from the very front left corner somewhere.
Maybe a hose clamp need tightening, I am hoping.

Aussie.

Another Ahab

G'day everyone,....

I didn't mention that the cooling system is weeping a little, I thought it might have been the heater but it look like its coming from the very front left corner somewhere.
Maybe a hose clamp need tightening, I am hoping.

Aussie.
Well, there you go; that makes three. You should be all good to go from here on out. :naner::beer:

whatadeuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And here I am checking the Fuel Injector Pump I pulled from the "half truck" parts truck . It's all stiffed up, but I am loosening the parts with that magical fluid , ( 50% Acetone & 50% transmission fluid) and a good measure of patience. Essential to getting the stop switch and throttle assembly turning, is the test of the hydraulic head plunger movement. AS I turn the camshaft, I insert a screwdriver blade in the top of the hydro head and expect vertical movement, indicated the plunger is working. Also that piece I have in the vice, which is what the stop cable connectes to and operates internally, has to turn freely. So far it looks good, and I will now install this in my M108 wrecker.

Attachments

AZK9

Hi Folks...

Been trying to recover from a recent neck injury which happened during the cleanup of storm downed
tree branches and damaged brush. Anyway... still in South Jersey for the moment and while helping a
friend clear wind-thrown litter from his roadway, he climbed under the deuce to free up a snagged tree
branch from the bed frame and noticed a 'missing bolt'. At that point I was unable to take a look myself,
so he snapped this photo (marked with an arrow) of the location. The deuce is 20 miles away from the
'Home Base' and he reports that it looks like it might be the source of some 'weeping' oil as the area
surrounding the threaded hole has an oily sheen. Maybe a foolish question, but can anyone tell what part
of the deuce the arrow is pointing to... and must this bolt be replaced before trying to drive the deuce any
distance.

I'd like to resolve this issue while I've got a willing volunteer to climb under and help me out while I'm
still unable to get things done on my own. Any help would be awesome and greatly appreciated!

BTW...
We thought it was pretty cool to see how easy it is to use the branches to make the M35A2 kinda 'vanish'
into the natural surroundings without even trying. :mrgreen:

downed tree branches and brush.jpg

missing bolt.jpg

rustystud

That's on the back of the trans. Threaded hole is blind and is to pull that pin, shouldn't leak from the hole, maybe around the pin.
The problem is most of these holes are not blind. Almost all enter the case either fully or partially. I have a three 1954 REO case's that the holes go all the way through. Just put a 3/8" X 3/4" bolt back in.

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well a couple of days ago when I returned my Deuce to its protective storage I managed to get a nail in a tyre 30mtrs away from shelter.
So yesterday afternoon I got it back out so I can change out the flat with one of the spares I have, I also will take the time to repair a hole in the J-pipe that showed up last time I got it out to play.

_MG_0394.JPG

I have used some course sandpaper to take it back to metal and will wrap it in exhaust tape for now until I can get another spare J-pipe, I have one on hand that came with my Deuce but I'll get another just so I will have a spare on hand.

Here I used a piece of wood to raise the rear duels up so I can get the outside wheel off.

_MG_0390.JPG

While the outside was off I checked the studs and found a couple loose, lucky I checked and retightened them.

_MG_0387.JPG

While I have the time I opened the filler points on the winch to see what I have in there, the good thing is its been filled with grease.

_MG_0397.JPG

_MG_0398.JPG

Later I'll see about putting the cargo cover on.
;)

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

That sucker will keep you busy, won't it, AB?!

I don't mind tinkering with little jobs now and again but constant big jobs would get me down after a while.

Anyway, I finally got my Deuce fully assembled!

Now I have the winch cable back on the drum and now I have the cargo cover ON.

_MG_0399.JPG

I will later today change out the rope tie downs for the black rubber synthetic covered rope I got for the end covers as the rope on the Cargo cover is a little brittle and must be near the end of its life.

I also think looping the rope through the tie downs with it tied off at the ends just looks better, maybe that's just me.

Aussie.

DavidWymore

Passenger inner door handle (and latch bolt) was sticking. Removed handle, drilled a pinhole in it (too lazy to remove) and shot some oil in it and around the bolt, freed up. Installed Those Military Guys locking outer door handle as well.

Aussie Bloke

Blatant picture post!

G'day everyone,....

Just a blatant post with pictures of my Deuce with its Cargo cover on in the rain.
(Darn that thing is heavy when you fit it by yourself)

Next job will be to replace the rope with the black cord I got for it.

Aussie.

Attachments

Last edited:

AZK9

... Installed Those Military Guys locking outer door handle as well.
I did the same 'upgrade' a year or so ago.

I've really been pleased with the TMG handles, but I do wish that the quality of the keys could have been a bit higher.
Mine seem to made of a type of 'white metal' that does not hold up well over constant use. They bend very easily, even
with careful use. One snapped during the first week following the installation. Luckily I was able to slide the broken part
out!

I've tried to find a place that can make duplicates out of a more durable metal, but so far... no luck.

Still... all in all... I really like the locking handles. [thumbzup]

1bonehead

I have been having fun with my deuce but I am now relocating and I think I will have to sell it. 1969 shop van with multi fuel and winch. Bought super singles for,it and was about to mount them.

Darn it. Just got it a little over a year back.

tobyS

installed boost and egt gauges, tapped the back half right at #4 for temp and man that manifold is thin. also while i am here my antitheft device
Hope your emergency brake works, you don't forget to chock it or someone slips it out of gear while parked.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks