• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

Just a blatant post with pictures of my Deuce with its Cargo cover on in the rain.
(Darn that thing is heavy when you fit it by yourself)

Next job will be to replace the rope with the black cord I got for it.

Aussie.
G'Day Mate,

Your Deuce looks nice. Are you going to get a camo cover to match the paint or stick with the OD?

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been having fun with my deuce but I am now relocating and I think I will have to sell it. 1969 shop van with multi fuel and winch. Bought super singles for,it and was about to mount them.

Darn it. Just got it a little over a year back.

That stinks! Sorry to hear you having to sell so soon. No way you can take your Deuce with you? :cry:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

G'Day Mate,

Your Deuce looks nice. Are you going to get a camo cover to match the paint or stick with the OD?

The Cargo cover is canvas and I only think they came in plain OD green, I haven't ever seen one in camo that I can remember.

I kind of think this Canvas one suits it.

I will get another canvas cover made so I have the original as a spare, I wonder if I can get that one made in the 3 colour camo?

Actually I was thinking of putting some camo netting over the cargo cover,....

That should look good.

Aussie.

Last edited:

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

The Cargo cover is canvas and I only think they came in plain OD green, I haven't ever seen one in camo that I can remember.

I will get another canvas cover made so I have the original as a spare, I wonder if I can get that one made in the 3 colour camo?

Aussie.
The newer "vinyl" ones came in "Woodland camo" , "Desert Camo" , and "Artic Camo" that I know of. There might even be more.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Sorry, I meat to convey that I don't ever think they made a camo cover in canvas, I do know they did it in vinyl, I was just talking about canvas.

Sorry, I should have made that point clearer.
My bad.

Oh and a side note, I took my drivers seat base to get recovered and have firmer padding fitted this morning.
I should get it back mid January, I'll then take the drivers seat back and passenger seat in to get recovered so I should have the whole set done by end of January.
I do have a new drivers seat base to use until I get the original seat base back.

Aussie.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....

Actually I was thinking of putting some camo netting over the cargo cover,....

That should look good.

Aussie.
Aussie,

I must have missed that your cover was canvas. I have a canvas cover too on my Deuce. Every time I get near the Deuce, the canvas smell brings back memories as a boy at summer camp. They had an old Army 65-man canvas tent that we would sleep in and the canvas smell was just as strong.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the 15th, M35A2-AZ came over & we went looking for the source of the fluid leak on my left front wheel. Luckily, it wasn't the brake cylinder as I had feared. The brakes looked to be in fine shape (I bought 2 new master cylinders & 6 rebuild kits that I can now save for later) & the pads had plenty of shoe left. All the seals were in good shape so all the spares of those I bought can also be ready for later. The axle shaft did wiggle just a tiny bit so maybe the bronze axle shaft bushing is wearing a bit & letting some gear oil through, but I didn't have one of those on hand so we didn't tear down that far to check. We repacked the bearings with this new high-temp bearing grease (the red goo) I got & put everything back together. We also put the canvas top on in preparation for the Veteran's Day parade that I'll be driving in.

I took the Deuce for a 26-mile ride on the 22nd & it ran great! Best of all, when I got it back to base, there was no new fluid leak on the wheel! Many thanks to M35A2-AZ for his guidance & assistance.
:clinto::grin:

IMAG6615.jpgIMAG6871.jpgIMAG6875.jpgIMAG6872.jpgIMAG6873.jpgIMAG6879.jpgIMAG6893.jpg

zanther

I installed some ZIPnuts for my license plates (front and back) , replacing the self tapping sheet metal screws I'd used originally and started planning how to run the wire for the backup camera. The camera lens was masked before I painted it with RAPCO 383. I will lightly scrape the IR emitters this week to clear them up. I rarely have a Soldier B so this'll dramatically help me in parking lots etc.
20161022_230154569_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
First Time: MISSION SCRUBBED due to Mechanical Issues :-(

Well, after YEARS of nearly flawless and utterly RELIABLE service, I had to SCRUB A MISSION with our Deuce this past weekend :sad:

Last time I drove her she was a bit reluctant to start. I went through a RESET by shutting down both power and pulling the fuel shut-off. She then started right up. But through the day seemed to act like a clogging fuel filter might be hindering fuel flow.
Hence, I checked the first fuel filter... just a little "stuff" in there, so i replaced it. Verified good flow when I bled the fuel out of the petcock on the secondary filter housing and the drains on the bottom of the cans.
I again attempted starting it and NO GO! After a thorough troubleshooting and generally specific inspection, it looks like it's time to OPEN & CLEAN the FUEL CUT-OFF assembly. (Thank y'all for posting the STICKY on that procedure.)
Consequently, I had to CANCEL a mission for the Deuce that had been planned for Sunday afternoon..... BUMMER.
Yet I really cannot complain. She's a 48 year old truck and this is her first "hospitalization".

S I G H !!!

I'll follow the STICKY precisely and let 'all know how it turns out.

I'm feeling just a bit of pressure on getting this fixed since there are VETERANS DAY activities on the horizon and the TOYS FOR TOTS season is also gearing up.

"Stand back! We're going in!!!"

Last edited:

AZK9

... I took the Deuce for a 26-mile ride on the 22nd & it ran great! Best of all, when I got it back to base, there was no new fluid leak on the wheel! ...
Twenty-six miles...

From your location that's about how far it is to Black Canyon City. By any chance did you grab a piece of pie along the way?! ;)

Glad to hear that your deuce is running strong! [thumbzup]

I had to leave mine back on the east coast. :shrugs:

AZK9

Whats up with this?!!!
Hey... nobody is more disappointed about it than I am, but a series of things forced me to
postpone my trip until a later point in time.

So now I'm back in Arizona at 6000 feet elevation just loving the mosquito free, dry... wonderful air of home! ;)

AZK9

I had been working on quite a few mods... most of them to increase the safety while on the highway, but it was just me...
and it really slowed me down. That and week after week of bad weather made it so difficult that I had to change plans.

I still expect to be heading cross country with it, but probably next summer is more likely at this point. I also think I'll be
passing through your area since I've got relatives nearby. I won't be going through the KC part of my previously planned route
anymore since the hardtop I had expected to buy on the way is no longer available.

Maybe something will 'reveal itself' over the winter! I still really need to find one. Either that... or... I'm just going to custom
build my own out of fiberglass. The Arizona sunshine is awesome, but... it is VERY hard on things like soft tops!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks