• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

rustystud

We invested in development of the machinery to compete with Wood Miser on the top and commercial market for sawmills with a unique, ultra high tension bandsaw. I put 5 years in the project, plus about $200k in.... and it bankrupt me in 88. Not sure about lucky, but the saw performed even better than predicted. So well that no US band makers can make our thin bands.

Since then I make what others pay to have made, from automating the primary part of a veneer factory to changing the driven pulley on a 150 year old 12" wide band mill, to making stack breakdown, grading lines, Siemens PC control and lots of high power electrical.

I had a patent about to issue on the bandsaw but dropped it when financing failed and I watched the Asians in the US Patent office taking the patents for the cost of a copy. It's still a proprietary advantage that I intend to put into a process making thin wood lamination stocks. Working on a 3" blade with now, kerf about .060", Stellite tipped.

Edit...I'll check and see if there is a sawmill thread.
Man that really sucks ! You design something and someone else comes along and basically steals it ! My father was a "cabinet" maker when that actually meant something. So I know about woodwork from years of helping him in his shop.

rustystud

I replaced the petcock on my secondary fuel filter housing. Ended up using a Schrader valve for a couple of days while waiting on a new petcock to arrive. 1/8" NPT Air tank drain is what I had to search for on the big A.

Also replaced the starter on my m35a2c yesterday with a DelcoRemy 39MT. It was pricey but my local starter/alternator repair guy says he won't rebuild Leeville Neece's any longer due to poor quality control on their parts after moving manufacturing to China.

Then I used the truck to pick up 114bdft of Eastern Maple for a furniture project I'm making for a friend.

View attachment 657017
I'm glad you went with that Delco starter. Parts are readily available and the quality of that starter is "far" superior to the Leece-Neville. Also it is so much lighter ! and with the gear reduction it isn't as hard on the batteries.

Another Ahab

I had a patent about to issue on the bandsaw but dropped it when financing failed and I watched the Asians in the US Patent office taking the patents for the cost of a copy. It's still a proprietary advantage that I intend to put into a process making thin wood lamination stocks. Working on a 3" blade with now, kerf about .060", Stellite tipped.
Man that really sucks ! You design something and someone else comes along and basically steals it ! My father was a "cabinet" maker when that actually meant something. So I know about woodwork from years of helping him in his shop.
We're adrift I know, but why risk applying for a patent when you know that kind of thing might happen?

I must be missing something, because I sure don't get why the Patent Office allows that. :burn::shrugs:

nchittendon

The truck has been sitting for about a week and a 1/2. In that time, the temp has dropped about 35 degrees to the teens.

Went out yesterday, popped the hood and checked oil/coolant. Both were good.

Started the truck. Now, in the past, she has started almost text book even in the coldest of weather. That was one reason I bought it. Yesterday, she was hesitant. It was the first time in 3 winters that she took that long to start.

Once running, I climb back outside to do another inspection on the rotating masses. I notice a green puddle on the ground. It appeared to be running down the oil dipstick tube, starting at the upper most bracket. Followed that up to the top portion of the engine. Tightened a couple of hose clamps up there, and it seems to have stopped.....for now.

I've said it a few times the last couple of months.....I think she is going to start giving me some surprises this winter/spring because she has behaved so well thus far.

I'm putting together my spring to-do list on my own thread. Swing over and let me know your thoughts, or insights!

tobyS

I started a thread about sawmills and woodworking and will explain my patent experience there.

Another Ahab and Rustystud, please sign up.

Another Ahab

I'm putting together my spring to-do list on my own thread. Swing over and let me know your thoughts, or insights!
I'll look for it, but any chance of a link getting posted here?

Did I mention coming from a long line of lazy? Ever heard of the "Lazy S" Ranch?

Yep, blood relation (western side of the family).

Lazy.jpg

Clay James

The truck has been sitting for about a week and a 1/2. In that time, the temp has dropped about 35 degrees to the teens.
Went out yesterday, popped the hood and checked oil/coolant. Both were good.

Started the truck. Now, in the past, she has started almost text book even in the coldest of weather. That was one reason I bought it. Yesterday, she was hesitant. It was the first time in 3 winters that she took that long to start.

Once running, I climb back outside to do another inspection on the rotating masses. I notice a green puddle on the ground. It appeared to be running down the oil dipstick tube, starting at the upper most bracket. Followed that up to the top portion of the engine. Tightened a couple of hose clamps up there, and it seems to have stopped.....for now.

I've said it a few times the last couple of months.....I think she is going to start giving me some surprises this winter/spring because she has behaved so well thus far.

Both of mine did this on the coolant hoses on top of the engine when it got very cold. I figured it was because the rubber had shrunk from temperature so I tightened them and the never leaked again.

rustystud

Both of mine did this on the coolant hoses on top of the engine when it got very cold. I figured it was because the rubber had shrunk from temperature so I tightened them and the never leaked again.
All vehicles do this in winter. At work we had to go around the busses and check for coolant leaks before the buses went out in the morning. We would tighten up any loose clamps before the engines got warmed up and the leaks would stop. If you actually "torque" the hose clamps (yes they do have torque specs ) when you install them they won't do this. I usually just tighten them real good and let them go.

nchittendon

All vehicles do this in winter. At work we had to go around the busses and check for coolant leaks before the buses went out in the morning. We would tighten up any loose clamps before the engines got warmed up and the leaks would stop. If you actually "torque" the hose clamps (yes they do have torque specs ) when you install them they won't do this. I usually just tighten them real good and let them go.
My Kenworth had a cold weather leak all the time too. Cold snap, I would find a puddle like this. Once my week got started and the truck was running (I rarely shut it off when I was out and it was cold), no more leaks. Come home for the weekend, and when it was time to leave I'd find this.
111111-R1-020-8A_019.jpg

winfred

disconnected the fuel line for the flame heater and installed a plug on the inlet at the injection pump, not likely to be needed here in loserana if it works (pump works with switch but don't know if it lights) killing a leak in the small line at the source. using bottle jack and wood pushed most of the dents out of the cab roof where someone musta danced a jig. installed 4' of appropriately sized fuel line for the wipers in the cab and attempted to get left wiper motor working, righty works great but lefty only pulled left with any power, took apart cleaned and lubed it and if only the left is hooked up itll run but sweeps right slowly, the little rubber seal on the switching valve is missing a little bit and is likely the problem, anybody have a source for the end cap and valve or valve rubbers for a old metal motor? the bore and piston seals are fine (leather or something else?) would've just swapped end caps for the time being with the right motor but only the left has screws, right is metal but not screwed

jking615

Still walking with a limp so I decided yesterday to just work on cleaning the old gasket material off of some of the parts that are going back on. Some of the gasket material fused to the steel and required a bit of high speed encouragement to come off, thank god I have my wire wheel. Today I am crawling under the truck and getting my father to help set the rockers.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....
Seasons blessings to you and yours my friend.
:beer:
Noted!
Yeah I guess I got carried away a bit there,...
Aussie.

No worries, just lay down some travelling music in post production. I lived in SA so there was much less plants & much more red dirt looking out the window, but it is always great to see adventures down under. Thanks for sharing the video, mate. You can also tell your mum that now she's internationally recognized. "Oh my giddy aunt!" :D

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can but a 1,000 pound crane with swivel & hand crank winch for about $150.00 at Harbor Freight.
As I recall, that "bargain" winch is not "approved" for hoisting.

Anytime you are lifting a load you've got to remember that if your winch fails, GRAVITY IS THE LAW and WILL hurt someone or something.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks