• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

CMPPhil

Sounds like today she earned her keep!
I always pick-up & take my kids to school on the last day of school in the deuce. The looks are priceless as I drive right into the bus loading area and drop them off! One day they won't want to do it anymore, so I'm getting my fun in while it lasts. When that day comes I will be hunting them down in it when they are out after curfew.
Hi

When that day came with my son, it was because he wanted to drive the truck himself. So I let him.

Cheers Phil

bert2368

Smashing down the snow, smoothing out a corn field...

I took the M35A2 out into a 35 acre corn field on our business property, and pre-flattened the snow in an area I will need to shepherd a semi hauling in and dropping a 40' high cube shipping container. We these in pairs as 10,000 lb. NEQ low explosives storage magazines (for display fireworks, we import and do display work).

On the day, I may also use "Black" to tow that semi if he gets stuck, and/or adjust the position of the container by skidding it on the 6' deep reenforced concrete piles we poured for supports just before frost.

Pictures are of some other, completed explosive magazine positions if pairs and painted red... The single tan one is 7' from where next week's container delivery will be set.

Attachments

Another Ahab

On the day, I may also use "Black" to tow that semi if he gets stuck, and/or adjust the position of the container by skidding it on the 6' deep reenforced concrete piles we poured for supports just before frost.
How did you dig for the piles/ piers; did you use a hydraulic auger of some kind?

PS You like relatively new to posting on here, so Welcome!

Another Ahab

Holes were made with a hydraulicaly powered 24" auger attachment for a skid loader (bobcat).

See picture...
I sort of figured that'd be how you did it. Thanks for the pic.

What's the story on the sonotube wrapped in the sheet poly (in the foreground; far right); is there some reason for that?

bert2368

What's the story on the sonotube wrapped in the sheet poly (in the foreground; far right); is there some reason for that?
Well, up here the frost usually sets from 2 to 4 feet into the ground every winter.

If you put a bare sonotube into the ground, the water in the top few inches/foot or so freeze first... And that includes and penetrates into the nice, wet, waterlogged sonotube and the cement column inside it.

When the NEXT foot or 3 freeze, they expand 10% or so as they do it, underneath the already frozen top layer (and the rather firmly locked into that first layer support colum), lifting it up. Maybe only a fraction of an inch to an inch. And in the Spring, the column never quite settles back... And every year after, same thing happens. As the upshot of all this frost heaveing/less than 100% settle, your nice, properly leveled support columns slowly get spat out of the ground. Due to natural variations in soil and water content, they NEVER get raised and lowered equally. So your structure gets all kinds of misalignment and wracks, and continually LEVITATES. When a cargo container with 70,000 lb. of contents gets wracked, the doors stop working. So you go out to pull a fireworks show for New Year's Eve, open the doors- And need a locomotive jack, shims and much profanity to close them again.

There are TWO layers of 4 mil polly wrapped around that sonotube. The polly is quite smooth and slippery, as well as breaking the ice layer, which does not extend through it and into the cardboard/cement. So the 2 layers will slip past eachother as the soil heaves, leaveing the column pretty much where we put it, resting on the subsoil. If we measured correctly and had the container set higher than the frost heave pushes any of the other soil under it, after all the frost melts in the spring and things settle down, the whole outfit is (usually) still properly aligned and leveled as we intended.

The things I have learned while all I really wanted was to blow S#$% up...

texas30cal

I sandblasted the seam where the cowl meets the cab just below the windshield frame, welded a repair piece in a hole, blended it in and seam sealed the whole seam. All steel, no bondo!!! New windshields go in tomorrow. Also drove it to take my 7yr old girl to a army themed bday party for two classmates of hers, ended taking the whole party for rides in the back of the deuce. Will post pics when they get e mailed to me, my #%!?%#!!! Phone went dead. Notoce the hinge bolt that twisted off in the cab, ugh, have to drill it out in the am.

Attachments

Last edited:

texas30cal

Thanks sir! I drilled the bolt out, blasted and painted the l/h windshield hinge, mirrors, mirror bracketry, all the exhaust brackets and guards. Didn't mess with windshields bc of the rain, Tuesday hopefully.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

I collected 2 sets of new headlights I bought for my Deuce quite a few months ago, they finally got here!

I'll have to get the H4 globe conversion set for it next.

Aussie.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks