• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

rustystud

Just pour some black pepper in till you can get home to fix it. The pepper will plug the leak.
I've never had any luck using the Black Pepper trick myself. That's why I always carry spare hoses for all the coolant lines. Upper and lower radiator hoses, 10ft of 5/8" hose and the hose for the manifold water jacket and oil cooler. You never know what will give out on you.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

Well I got it home by removing the radiator cap so the system could not pressurise and force water out the hole.

I stopped several times on the 360+ klm one way trip home to check the coolant level, I only put 2ltrs of water in it at the last stop.

The temp only just made it to 180 deg F after a series of medium hill climbs, mostly the trip is down hill to home.

I was lucky to never get any high temps. I would have stopped if it tried to go above 180 deg to let things cool.

I think I actual do have that hose amongst my spares and its ironic that that hose is the one hose the previous owner didn't get around to replacing!

Aussie.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know, I put expensive, long lasting, made for big rig diesels, orange coolant in my deuce and I regret it. Not because of the quality because surely it is excellent, but I don't think it was worth it. Also, regular green automotive antifreeze coolant is so much easier to find, and cheaper and then I wouldn't have to keep track of two separate coolants in my garage - I could have just kept extra of the same one that all my vehicles use. Plus, you feel less worse when you spill any or it leaks from the truck for any number of reasons.

So from me, go with regular green coolant. It's what the Utah National Guard had in the truck anyway before I drained it and flushed the system 3 years ago.

Last edited:

Clay James

Picked up the windshield from the glass place. It has modern style glued in glass. This truck is getting A/C so I don't need the flip out windows and this provides a good seal. Plus when I get the trim on the outside it will look stock. I guess I should start updating my build thread since I've done a lot. 20170130_162814.jpg

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up the windshield from the glass place. It has modern style glued in glass. This truck is getting A/C so I don't need the flip out windows and this provides a good seal. Plus when I get the trim on the outside it will look stock. I guess I should start updating my build thread since I've done a lot. View attachment 664505
That's really neat looking! I've never seen such a mod. Cool.

TGP (IL)

You know, I put expensive, long lasting, made for big rig diesels, orange coolant in my deuce and I regret it. Not because of the quality because surely it is excellent, but I don't think it was worth it. Also, regular green automotive antifreeze coolant is so much easier to find, and cheaper and then I wouldn't have to keep track of two separate coolants in my garage - I could have just kept extra of the same one that all my vehicles use. Plus, you feel less worse when you spill any or it leaks from the truck for any number of reasons.

So from me, go with regular green coolant. It's what the Utah National Guard had in the truck anyway before I drained it and flushed the system 3 years ago.
A lot of the newer Green Anti-freeze is Diesel compatible now with additives.
Usually written on the label.

You can always add a little supplement if needed.

Tom

Another Ahab

Picked up the windshield from the glass place. It has modern style glued in glass. This truck is getting A/C so I don't need the flip out windows and this provides a good seal. Plus when I get the trim on the outside it will look stock. I guess I should start updating my build thread since I've done a lot. View attachment 664505
That looks nice.

You say "modern-style"; and it looks like your glass is double-pane with an insulating layer; and you got to figure it's tempered.

Is the old deuce glass NOT tempered (or laminated)? Do you know?

Clay James

That looks nice.

You say "modern-style"; and it looks like your glass is double-pane with an insulating layer; and you got to figure it's tempered.

Is the old deuce glass NOT tempered (or laminated)? Do you know?
This is typical laminated windshield glass. Stock glass is definitely laminated. I'm not sure about the side windows though. Legally all windshields have to be laminated glass. On some of the older vehicles like my 1948 Ford ALL the glass is laminated.

Maverick1701

I drained some old fuel out of a co-workers corvette project (so they could add fresh fuel) and then chunked it in the M35A2 fuel tank. I love free fuel!

onemanarmy

yea, update the build thread. I need something to motivate me.

Davis Welding

View attachment 664190View attachment 664191View attachment 664192View attachment 664193View attachment 664194View attachment 664195View attachment 664196View attachment 664197View attachment 664198View attachment 664199

The way to think about routing your coolant lines is the "manifold" is going to the radiator and would be considered the "pressure" side. The water pump then is the "suction" side. Any connection to the manifold then needs a connection to the water pump. Here are a few pictures to show what I mean.

From the connection at the rear of the block, where did you route that hose? The way I have mine routed, wouldn't it basically bypass the thermostat when the stat is closed? Feeding hot water to the heater and then returning the water to the rad side of the stat? Sorry if I am making it complicated. Also, Do you find that your coolant filter works well with the locations you have the hoses connected? Thank you sir.

rustystud

From the connection at the rear of the block, where did you route that hose? The way I have mine routed, wouldn't it basically bypass the thermostat when the stat is closed? Feeding hot water to the heater and then returning the water to the rad side of the stat? Sorry if I am making it complicated. Also, Do you find that your coolant filter works well with the locations you have the hoses connected? Thank you sir.
First off the filter works fine. It never was designed to clean all the coolant at once but to slowly pick-up the crud as time went along. The hose at the back of the block actually feeds into my coolant heater I bought from a member here (Derby) . It was originally just a drain for the block.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks