• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

onemanarmy

ordered a electric wiper kit (omix ada setup) for the driver side. Will see how it works and then do the passenger side. My plastic wiper housings were in good shape, but the 'button' had been pushed in, and even after reading the how to guides, I have no idea how you are supposed to get a paperclip in the holes to push the button out.

TsgtB

I cut my tall stack down to near cab level, put my flapper back on, touched up the black paint.
Found that my J pipe is cracked/split and ready to be replaced soon... I thought the tall pipe and tree limbs may have weakened the pipe. (found j pipe for $140. have not ordered yet)
Flex pipe will be replaced as well, P/O had electrical arc hole burned through flex pipe. ( JB weld temp fix now failed)

Took the wife for a drive, fueled her up (the deuce), got home and checked for leaks, no "new" leaks noted.

Really shocked at amount of rust on fuel strainer... always run pump diesel w/2cy Diesel Kleen on occasion.

rustystud

[Took the wife for a drive, fueled her up (the deuce), got home and checked for leaks, no "new" leaks noted.

Really shocked at amount of rust on fuel strainer... always run pump diesel w/2cy Diesel Kleen on occasion.[/QUOTE]

Looks like it's time to clean-out the fuel tank. They can collect a amazing amount of junk on the bottom ! Plus water always sinks to the bottom of the fuel.

TsgtB

I'll have to run it harder and keep my spare primary with me. I had the pump out a year ago and took a fuel sample from the very bottom of the tank (parked diagonal on hillside for the weekend) let the sample settle in a glass bowl for a day and there were zero sign of moisture.
Seems to be the "above fuel line" rust... (needs more driving/sloshing).

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll have to run it harder and keep my spare primary with me. I had the pump out a year ago and took a fuel sample from the very bottom of the tank (parked diagonal on hillside for the weekend) let the sample settle in a glass bowl for a day and there were zero sign of moisture.
Seems to be the "above fuel line" rust... (needs more driving/sloshing).
Or a new gasket on the fuel tank cap to keep the tank from "breathing" - letting moist air in/out - which only helps algae grow. Other air could be getting in/out of the tank from fuel lines that are cracked and need replacing.

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greased every fitting I found on the Deuce,removed the in tank pump from the fuel tank,removed the pump from its frame and I have been removing the rust that had been building up since gods now's when.

With the in tank pump both wires were spliced together by the previous owner and I was worried that if gas was ever pumped into the tank (gasoline) I may loose the truck caused by the above mentioned.(as I want to stick with straight diesel and Howes lubrication). As of now I am having a hard time getting her started and had already started changed all the fuel filters and have plans to on replacing the fuel lines as well. When I can find someone that is selling them along with the furrels needed.

In the meantime I had asked for some ideas or how to repair the above mentioned, and I had a reply that was answered with what I had also thought to do, and that was to use a 2 part epoxy JB Weld that is good with diesel fuels. I could sealed the connection (splice) with the epoxy.

In the mean time I ordered a new gasket that has been delivered and now when I get the chance I want to drain the fuel tank clean her out, as I can feel things on the bottom and I'm not happy with that. I want to thank all for there help with all I have read on the forms that had similar problems or buy just reading the TM that help all of us that are available on this site.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have the secondary filters(on the side of the block) for $5 each plus shipping. You'll have to get the primary from a vendor or NAPA.

meumar

Replaced primary and secondary fuel filters with spin-ons. Bypassed the FDC. Now to turn down the fuel, install pyro, replace the old and brittle plastic fuel lines, and replace oil filters with spin-ons.

TsgtB

Or a new gasket on the fuel tank cap to keep the tank from "breathing" - letting moist air in/out - which only helps algae grow. Other air could be getting in/out of the tank from fuel lines that are cracked and need replacing.
Ahhh... I may have broken the gasket on the fuel pump rack, this would also be part of the problem.
Just because I didnt plan to make it "fording safe".

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you mean "PTFE" stainless steel lines ? Any "Parker" Hydraulic supply store will have it yes that is what i meant and where or who would I get the ferrels, im suprised that these sites that sell a lot for the MV do not sell these items. thank you rustystud

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks