• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,......

As you can see I've changed out the terminal clamps with brass ones, only have the last two to change out.

I have cleaned the earth from batterys to the frame so far.

Next I will clean the connections at the solenoid and starter.

The starter switch as you can see is like new. I will check that after I do the connections at the starter.

Everything else works just fine.

And I held my tongue because there was a lady present.

Aussie.

texas30cal

Have you tested to see if you are getting voltage to the back of the start button? If not I think it is supposed to get its power directly from the main on/off switch (check a diagram to be sure)

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G'day everyone,....
I have just gotten back from where I have my Deuce stored.
As you know last time it wouldn't start, melted the battery terminal post.
I installed new brass terminal clamps and a new battery.
I pressed the start button and "CLICK"!
Again it wouldn't start.
I removed and cleaned the earth where its bolted to the frame, it was a bit corroded.
Still no Start!
I will have to go back and check the connections at the starter motor next.
I was there for 1.5 hrs.
Aussie is feeling just a little sad,..... :-(
I was really hoping to get to replacing the lower radiator hose this long weekend.
sigh,....
Aussie.
G'day Mate. Sorry to hear about your trucks clicking issue. There always seems to be something. Your truck just loves attention. 😁

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you completely eliminated a battery issue? I have a Deuce that had the same symptoms as yours. I cleaned all battery terminals and all connections, including starter and relay and all grounds with no result. Everything electrical worked in the truck, including headlights with full brightness. The starter relay only clicked. I even jumpered past the starter relay and it still wouldn't turn over. I was convinced that I had a bad starter. Just for the heck of it, I used jumper cables from each battery separately to my VW Jetta TDI. First battery, no result. However, when I jumpered to the second battery the truck started right up. Apparently, the one battery was going open under heavy loads, but appeared OK with lesser loads. Hooking up a battery charger to the bad battery even showed the battery as fully charged. Two new 6TL batteries solved the problem.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1581.JPGDSCF1583.JPGDSCF1584.JPG This week got the winch cleaned, primed, painted, and installed. Need to start sanding, and paint the front bumper. I have all new hardware for the winch supports and the front bumper. The only hardware I'm reusing are the 12 bolts and washers that attach the winch to the support. They are special 1/2 inch dia. bolts with a slightly larger shoulder, between 1/2 & 5/8. Hope to have everything up front finished by Sunday, then Monday start the PTO installation.

Sparkyz911

20170318_174639.jpg

Put 25 gallons of fuel in mine (56 bucks) topping off the tank, then drove it to work for the first time. Only had it about a month and loving every minute of it.

winfred

got one side front knuckle/bearing/brake serviced, that was less fun then i hoped and still have the other side to do, inner axle seal housing was a mother and my 12# slidehammer wouldn't budge it, broke a axle bearing puller trying after hosing it down with kroil and torching it as others suggested, hosed it with freon till it was frosted over to shrink it and finally popped it out. 3/4 drive socket and extension makes a acceptable driver to knock it back in
IMG_3517.jpgIMG_3516.jpgIMG_3515.jpgIMG_3513.jpgIMG_3512.jpg

texas30cal

I've been hard at it on my new (to me) hardtop, it was pretty rough but was cheap, cut all rust out and welded in new pieces, welded up all the holes that had been drilled in it, sand blasted, body worked, and painted. Today installed the noico sound deadener and headliner, only thing left is the inner structure.

Attachments

Another Ahab

I've been hard at it on my new (to me) hardtop, it was pretty rough but was cheap, cut all rust out and welded in new pieces, welded up all the holes that had been drilled in it, sand blasted, body worked, and painted. Today installed the noico sound deadener and headliner, only thing left is the inner structure.
Nice job, Brother, nice job!

Clay James

Looking good! Did mine recently too. The insulation makes a noticeable difference in noise.

sharkhunter2018

Spent a couple afternoons last week tinkering on one of the Deuces. Helps having a big stove in the shop which normally does well down into the 20s even with the shop not being insulated. However I had forgotten that it does struggle if it's windy. Even with hands half froze I managed to install Jatonkas filter conversions all around and bypass the FDC. I finally had a chance to get it started this evening and do a leak check. Everything checked out, so on to the next project. Maybe with some nicer weather I will tackle replacing the radiator. Somewhere in that back corner is a brand new radiator that i've been telling myself I'd get around to for the better part of the last 4 years....IMG_0991.jpgIMG_1008.jpgIMG_1010.jpgIMG_1011.jpg

Clay James

got one side front knuckle/bearing/brake serviced, that was less fun then i hoped and still have the other side to do, inner axle seal housing was a mother and my 12# slidehammer wouldn't budge it, broke a axle bearing puller trying after hosing it down with kroil and torching it as others suggested, hosed it with freon till it was frosted over to shrink it and finally popped it out. 3/4 drive socket and extension makes a acceptable driver to knock it back in
View attachment 671906View attachment 671905View attachment 671904View attachment 671903View attachment 671902
I beat the crap out of mine with a slide hammer and that wouldn't do it. Wound up putting in a piece of pipe from the other side and a few whacks with the hammer and out it came. Also ditched the crap stock seals with an upgraded "wobble" type seal after replacing the stock ones 3 times and they immediately leaked. 5+ years of zero leaks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks