• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

texas30cal

Looking good! Did mine recently too. The insulation makes a noticeable difference in noise.
Yes it does! I put the noico sound deadener on the inside of the firewall, bottom of cowl, and the bottom of trans tunnel covers (I hope it stays put), just that made a HUGE difference in mechanical noise. Can't wait to see how it is with the hardtop.

rustystud

I beat the crap out of mine with a slide hammer and that wouldn't do it. Wound up putting in a piece of pipe from the other side and a few whacks with the hammer and out it came. Also ditched the crap stock seals with an upgraded "wobble" type seal after replacing the stock ones 3 times and they immediately leaked. 5+ years of zero leaks.
I bought some of those special seals myself. I just cannot remember who I bought them from. Was it "welldigger" ?

Another Ahab

Spent a couple afternoons last week tinkering on one of the Deuces. Helps having a big stove in the shop
That's a real nice size shop, and love the Green Tractor (because you know, "nothing runs like a Deere").

And if that honking hefty drum is your stove then I'm betting for SURE that shop is toasty in wintertime! The only thing that would spook me is losing your footing on something accidentally, and then instinctively planting both hands on that drum.

Don't ask me how I know (it was a long time ago), but I'm starting to cry right now just imagining that picture someday in your shop.

Have you got a tissue?!

Crying: Sad.jpg

Last edited:

sharkhunter2018

That's a real nice size shop, and love the Green Tractor (because you know, "nothing runs like a Deere").

And if that honking hefty drum is your stove then I sure BET that shop is toasty in wintertime! The only thing that would spook me is losing your footing on something accidentally, and then instinctively planting both hands on that drum.

Don't ask me how I know (it was a long time ago), but I'm starting to cry right now just imagining that picture someday in your shop.

Have you got a tissue?!

View attachment 672101
Nice having a shop...though its a wreck at this moment. I need to take an evening and clean it up...which I'm not terrible about. Wish I had a similar building at work where i can easily work on the equipment. That 2040 has been good to us, though I wish it were bigger, had a cab (esp. trying to clear snow on the driveway) and 4WD sometimes. But if I need it I can always take home the big tractor from work...came in real handy last winter.

As for the stove, its great. But I found out last week that it really struggles when it's in the 20s and the wind is blowing 30-40. Shop needs a some TLC in the form of a little insulation and sealing up drafty spots. With no wind, it can keep up though. With the shop so big and no insulation, I don't cut it any slack. I had my dad build it after I saw my old stove glowing when I turned the lights off. It's a rolled 4x8 sheet of 3/8ths, 3/8th's stainless up front, 3 foot section of 3/8th's stainless pipe and the back plate is 1/2". 30" wide, 4 foot deep. Used an old 55 gallon drum stand to put it on as well. Can throw a helluva stick in it. It's affectionately known among a few friends as The Body Burner....

Fortunately most of my work spaces aren't near it. But the thought has certainly crossed my mind. It certainly wouldn't be fun. IMG_0406.jpgIMG_0405.jpg

Another Ahab

You know what, just a simple length of expanded metal lath fore-and-aft along the centerline of the drum with a 1" spacer of some kind could go a long way to avoiding any unexpected "sadness"!

And I bet if you put up a big circulating fan across the room to blow towards that thing (real slow is fine) you might even be able to go without the insulation.

sharkhunter2018

This is true. I always have a box fan hung up on the wall and it works very well. But, it wasn't doing any good last week. Have a few spots that are quite drafty and the wind really exploits those drafts. I'll have to do something about that before next winter. It didn't help that the stove was on the opposite side of the truck and a large draft blowing right in my direction.

It's a pretty tall building so there is a lot of heat upstairs in the loft. And i've considered a ceiling fan or something to try and get some of that heat back down to where it is really needed. If I did that, I may not have to run the stove so hot.

tobyS

Nice having a shop...though its a wreck at this moment. I need to take an evening and clean it up...which I'm not terrible about. Wish I had a similar building at work where i can easily work on the equipment. That 2040 has been good to us, though I wish it were bigger, had a cab (esp. trying to clear snow on the driveway) and 4WD sometimes. But if I need it I can always take home the big tractor from work...came in real handy last winter.

As for the stove, its great. But I found out last week that it really struggles when it's in the 20s and the wind is blowing 30-40. Shop needs a some TLC in the form of a little insulation and sealing up drafty spots. With no wind, it can keep up though. With the shop so big and no insulation, I don't cut it any slack. I had my dad build it after I saw my old stove glowing when I turned the lights off. It's a rolled 4x8 sheet of 3/8ths, 3/8th's stainless up front, 3 foot section of 3/8th's stainless pipe and the back plate is 1/2". 30" wide, 4 foot deep. Used an old 55 gallon drum stand to put it on as well. Can throw a helluva stick in it. It's affectionately known among a few friends as The Body Burner....

Fortunately most of my work spaces aren't near it. But the thought has certainly crossed my mind. It certainly wouldn't be fun. View attachment 672132View attachment 672133
Wow, 3/8 is thick. And in stainless too! I'm impressed.

I made a double barrel wood stove from (2) 500 gal LP tanks. That was the best heater a shop could ask for. Never had an issue of touching it, but had a couple of near melt downs. I hung a furnace fan behind it and heated about 5,000 with 20' ceiling.

From a heat extraction standpoint, my top barrel added enough SF of surface and a second combustion chamber, that I think it doubled my heat output. You might consider a second chamber. I have a stainless air tank that would be perfect.

sharkhunter2018

Wow, 3/8 is thick. And in stainless too! I'm impressed.

I made a double barrel wood stove from (2) 500 gal LP tanks. That was the best heater a shop could ask for. Never had an issue of touching it, but had a couple of near melt downs. I hung a furnace fan behind it and heated about 5,000 with 20' ceiling.

From a heat extraction standpoint, my top barrel added enough SF of surface and a second combustion chamber, that I think it doubled my heat output. You might consider a second chamber. I have a stainless air tank that would be perfect.
Only the front plate and pipe are stainless. Drum, back plate and door are just plain steel. It was decided the back plate should be 1/2" though being it would probably be the hottest part of the whole stove. Looks like I didn't make that part more clear in the original post. My old stove was small and just...well, old and it was only 1/4". Seeing a good portion of it glowing a few times made me consider something bigger and heavier. Tossed around a few ideas, told my dad what I wanted and needed and this was the end result. I had considered having a top chamber and you're right that it would likely increase the output but not sure it would be worth it since I really dont spend that much time in it. Spending most of days outside at work, I usually end up just going straight to the house when I get home.

TsgtB

I got my exhaust back on, pyro hooked up and tapped, but for the LIFE of me, I can NOT get the tiny brass ferrule to fit over the boost tube...
I cant feel my fingers anymore.
Are there any tips or tricks to get this little sucker on....? I'm about to get the dremel out and go nuts... (help)

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Does anyone know if these U-Joints will work for the front driveshaft? Realized mine are toast up front and have play in themIMG_1423.jpg

1974 AM General M109A3 w/Deuce Bed, White LDT, Whistler C, and soft top

Kaiser67M715

I got my exhaust back on, pyro hooked up and tapped, but for the LIFE of me, I can NOT get the tiny brass ferrule to fit over the boost tube...
I cant feel my fingers anymore.
Are there any tips or tricks to get this little sucker on....? I'm about to get the dremel out and go nuts... (help)
If at any point it's been crushed-it becomes difficult to install. The local hardware store should have compression fitting and the correct ferrules. I like to grab extra ferrules and keep them on a shelf just for instances like this. Using drill bits and going up in size can sometimes open enough to work it on( don't actually drill, just work the ferrule over it.)

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

TsgtB

If at any point it's been crushed-it becomes difficult to install. The local hardware store should have compression fitting and the correct ferrules. I like to grab extra ferrules and keep them on a shelf just for instances like this. Using drill bits and going up in size can sometimes open enough to work it on( don't actually drill, just work the ferrule over it.)

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
I really think they shipped a 3mm ferrule... it's just "that close". (frustrating as ....)

Bought a 1/8" ferrule and it fit perfect.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks