• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Johny5

Well started out with break failure, and a leaky rear wheel cylinder. So I went out to take it for a ride in the back pasture before tearing into the breaks. Well I got stuck in a dry creek bed and while winching my self out, the winch stopped working and started making a lot of noise. I had to have a friend with a 5 ton get me out. I got the master cylinder pulled, and air pack pulled so they both can be rebuilt I also got one of the hubs pulled to get to the cylinder, I find out the diff had water in it. After this fact, my truck's name went from The Winch to Pandora.

2017-03-24 16.49.03.jpg2017-03-25 17.15.09.jpg2017-03-26 18.00.18.jpg2017-03-30 12.47.29.jpg2017-03-30 12.47.31.jpg2017-03-30 12.47.45.jpg

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Silverstate55 and I replaced the complete clutch assembly and rear main seal in Carnac's M35A2 a couple of weeks ago. ..................

I see that is that "less common-less expensive...?" design, with no separate seal retainer...

I've never had to work on one like that before. At least it seems that the flywheel housing can stay in place in order to change the main seal - and that the seal just goes pressed into that bore, until flush? What are those two smaller cap screws for?

Last edited:

vimby210

Removed soft top and installed on a3- pulled gun ring cab off of a-3 that originally was on my a2 and installed back to a-2. Drove alot and now have high idle issue! Always something it seems!

rustystud

Silverstate55 and I replaced the complete clutch assembly and rear main seal in Carnac's M35A2 a couple of weeks ago.

This was a learning experience for me, as I had never done a clutch before. It was pretty much a 15 hour job, with both of us working on it.

A piece of channel wedged from windshield to rear of cab is a must. This would have been much more awkward with just a transmission jack.

If you have to replace the rear seal, replace the clutch while you're at it if it is even remotely questionable. This is a big enough job you don't want to do it again if you don't have to.

Carnac's truck was loaded onto my gooseneck, which made crawling under it less of an aggravation.

Silverstate55 is a good teacher. It is evident he teaches for a living.

Some pics -

View attachment 673624View attachment 673621View attachment 673622View attachment 673623View attachment 673620

You realize that in a shop you would have been expected to remove and replace that clutch assembly and reinstall the transmission in one day. With two people the shop foreman would expect it to be done in 4 hours. Even as an apprentice I was replacing double disc clutch assemblies on a 13 speed RoadRanger in a day. Of course with my body as it is now getting this job done in a couple of days would be a miracle !

rustystud

Well started out with break failure, and a leaky rear wheel cylinder. So I went out to take it for a ride in the back pasture before tearing into the breaks. Well I got stuck in a dry creek bed and while winching my self out, the winch stopped working and started making a lot of noise. I had to have a friend with a 5 ton get me out. I got the master cylinder pulled, and air pack pulled so they both can be rebuilt I also got one of the hubs pulled to get to the cylinder, I find out the diff had water in it. After this fact, my truck's name went from The Winch to Pandora.

View attachment 673627View attachment 673628View attachment 673629View attachment 673630View attachment 673631View attachment 673626

Have you ever pulled a major maintenance on this truck ? From the looks of the bearings and axle shaft, it looks like it has not seen any maintenance in years. So I would change the name of this truck to "Endurance" as it has performed above and beyond the call of duty !

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You realize that in a shop you would have been expected to remove and replace that clutch assembly and reinstall the transmission in one day. With two people the shop foreman would expect it to be done in 4 hours. Even as an apprentice I was replacing double disc clutch assemblies on a 13 speed RoadRanger in a day. Of course with my body as it is now getting this job done in a couple of days would be a miracle !
I'm old and feeble. And thankfully we had allotted plenty of time. Honestly, I was *sore* the next day.

I'm sure silverstate55 could probably have done it faster without my "help". But I learned a lot and feel confident that I would be competent to do it now.

Which is a good thing. RGS20INOPHIR has a deuce in need of a new rear mainseal, so looks like I'll get to participate a 2nd time soon.

jbayer

Apples to oranges. A complete shop versus on a gooseneck trailer. Just sayin.

sharkhunter2018

The J pipe is pretty rotten so I pulled that the other day. Have a couple elbows on order and should get that fixed this week. Spent my afternoon yesterday removing the radiator. When I drove it home after picking it up, the top tank blew out on me a couple miles from home. I cleaned it up and slathered some JB Weld on it. It held but it was still seeping a bit from the top, which you can see in the picture. So I broke down and bought a new radiator. That was 4 years ago. It's been sitting in the back of the shop ever since the UPS man delivered it. I mounted the new radiator and while trying to hook up that PITA of a lower hose I noticed the radiator end had started to split. I debated on going through with it but I think it had split a little too far when i removed the old radiator. So i ordered one of those last night as well as a remote brake fluid reservoir. Trying to get this thing up and going for the short drive to where I work. There it'll start earning it's keep as a farm truckIMG_1028.jpgIMG_1029.jpgIMG_1030.jpgIMG_1042.jpg

Johny5

Have you ever pulled a major maintenance on this truck ? From the looks of the bearings and axle shaft, it looks like it has not seen any maintenance in years. So I would change the name of this truck to "Endurance" as it has performed above and beyond the call of duty !
I haven't had time/money to do a full maintenance on this truck yet. I've had it for maybe 6 months now. I only drove it home and maybe 10 miles around. Mostly at low speeds down the power lines.

It wasn't used for 2 years much from the previous owner. I think this is the hub he said he rebuilt too btw. I am going to pull all hubs and inspect all of them. I have also set aside the money to do all of the diffs.

I had to do the clutch on it and it was down for 2 months because I didn't have the time to put it back together after I got it apart.

I have the bell housing that does not have a spot to put the drain plug in so it can drain out anything that leaks into it. The drain plug now lives in a ziplock bag in the glove box.

jbayer

A sheared shear pin. I replaced it with another that came with the truck, but I plan to replace it with a bolt instead. It failed right when my friend said it would, when the truck is up to the bumper in mud.
Just remember, the next time the failure will move to the next weakest link.Might be a little more pricier to fix. Just sayin.

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My younger son and I did a little maintenance on the old girl. I Started the day with attaching my brand new 24 volt battery tender to the batteries and putting a charge on them.while charging the batteries I took out with the better half and my son for breakfast while I left the truck strickley in charge,LOL. My son and I then added Ten gallons of diesel fuel I had sitting around and was waiting for a good day to add to the truck. after adding the fuel we drained the final fuel filter and replaced the gasket that was leaking, we then purged the air from the canister with the help of my in line fuel pump. I then started the truck,no leak. I then cleaned the drivers side floor opened the trap door to check the brake fluid after i made sure that it to was free of debris. it's level checked out fine. checked all fluid levels wheels etc. Then came the fun part first getting a picture of my son in front of the truck and then taken her for a nice 3 to 4 hour ride on Staten Island. during the ride we got a lot of thumbs up and put a lot of smiles on many of faces including ours. We ended the day by stopping and getting a great fresh fruit drink at my sons place of work, stopped and topped of the fuel tank with some added Howies lubrication, and then getting an oil sample to send out tomorrow.

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 673627View attachment 673628View attachment 673629View attachment 673630View attachment 673631View attachment 673626
it must have been real fun working on her after getting her stuck in that river bed.

Johny5

Just remember, the next time the failure will move to the next weakest link.Might be a little more pricier to fix. Just sayin.
This I am aware of, I was told by a few people I know that there was a lot of non-spec shear pins that got released as NOS and I don't want to break a pin when not even near full load on the winch. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

rustystud

Apples to oranges. A complete shop versus on a gooseneck trailer. Just sayin.

Actually a lot of shops use the back lot to do there quick jobs. I once had to use a 4' X 8' sheet of plywood to remove a 6 speed MT series Allison transmission from a garbage truck. It was an extremely hot day in Phoenix AZ. and the maggots where dropping on me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks