• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found out why the horns weren't working, apparently these two plugs were unplugged. Also installed a air hose connection for airing up tires and running air tools.
0ea29b7d5556b4968329fd3d060702d9.jpg
My suggestion is to put something between that wiring harness and the sharp edge where it passes through the firewall! One day that'll wear through and do a lot of damage to the harness, batteries, and potentially more.

Other places the wiring harness likes to wear (and at least one member has reported a fire) is where by the firewall where the harness crosses over the edge of the frame rails in the engine compartment. On both passenger and driver's side. Mine had a very noticeable wear indentations.

Last edited:

tobyS

My suggestion is to put something between that wiring harness and the sharp edge where it passes through the firewall! One day that'll wear through and do a lot of damage to the harness, batteries, and potentially more.
I use hose, splitting the piece lengthwise and just long enough to fit the hole. For some areas I make strips of inner-tube and wrap layers. Also have some 3" hd electricians tape too. Or go to the hardware and buy a ready made grommet.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Other places the wiring harness likes to wear (and at least one member has reported a fire) is where by the firewall where the harness crosses over the edge of the frame rails in the engine compartment. On both passenger and driver's side. Mine had a very noticeable wear indentations.
DSCF1621.JPGGot these from my local NAPA store. They have them in kits or you can buy them individually. If they don't have a large enough dia. grommet for your needs, then get the largest they have and cut it on one side and fit it into the side of the hole where you have the riding condition. Also as Valence stated spend some time checking your wiring harness for wear. Also check your fuel lines for chaffing wear as well, I had a couple on my truck. Last thing you want is an electrical or fuel fire.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I measured the shim gasket at .020. Checked the lash with the PTO in gear and easily turned the output shaft back and forth, and had a nice small click each way. I have not engaged the PTO with the engine running. It shifts smoothly with the transmission in gear and engine stopped.
Good deal,
Thanks for the follow up, I have this job planned for one of my trucks. I have up to .060 shims available.
JC

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal,
Thanks for the follow up, I have this job planned for one of my trucks. I have up to .060 shims available.
JC
You're welcome. I Picked up some good reading from the SS archives: cdvet 08-23-12 @ 17:42 He spoke with George at White Owl about setting up (shimming) the PTO. Good reading. It helped me out.

jbayer

Found out why the horns weren't working, apparently these two plugs were unplugged. Also installed a air hose connection for airing up tires and running air tools.

I use hose, splitting the piece lengthwise and just long enough to fit the hole. For some areas I make strips of inner-tube and wrap layers. Also have some 3" hd electricians tape too. Or go to the hardware and buy a ready made grommet.
You could always just get the right part.
FROM TM9-2320-209-20P:
FIG 89 19 PAOZZ 2590-00-739-7744 7397744 19207 RETAINER:WIRING HARNESS TO DASH PANEL AB,AC EA 2

https://www.easternsurplus.net/PartDetails/1607/Wiring-Harness-Retainer

Just sayin

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Another m108. Any additional info on that truck?
Like what? Its a parts truck we found in Illinois. Crusher needed some outriggers and so did Stretch. We grabbed some other parts like the valve bank, mico lock, light brackets, and data plates. I know the guy who has it, it will be there if anything more is needed later on.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I just wanted to increase the 60 amp alternator output a bit. It seems like the NG unit that last serviced the truck animaled the 1/4" female drive plug above the adjuster. It stripped out even with best practices. Someone should teach difference between 35 inch pounds and 35 foot pounds of torque. Anyhow had to pull the alternator so I can fix that.
I could not get the screws out of inspection cover plate, they being so over torqued they had to be ground off. Had to cut a tool to use on inboard forward mounting bolt, Gee who thought that one up?

I just keep reading of people just fabbing things up, altering wheelbases, machining this and that.
People rebuilding entire trucks, adding hydraulic cranes and such.
All I wanted to do was turn a screw for adjustments and ended up working the day away.
Everything on this truck was animaled!
And a picture for the General .....
IMG_2528.jpgIMG_2533.jpgIMG_2535.jpgIMG_2536.jpg

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
10-4 Frank. When I picked up my truck the fuel lines were damaged and mickey moused. The copper fuel line that runs from the primary fuel filter to the IP was crushed flat. I was surprised the truck even ran, and some of the neoprene lines were chaffed, cracked and routed poorly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks