• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

02smokemaker

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did the fdc bypass, remote brake reservoir, greased every zerk! Adjusted the E-brake, installed new light switch, started fabbing my new hardtop.

nchittendon

So if it comes time to order them up from someone, just telling them you have the aluminum 2 piece MRAP's with 11" centers doesn't mean squat. These orings were way off. Sending the set back, along with the one I removed so he can compare them and send me the right ones. He's close enough that if I send them today, he'll have them tomorrow, and I should have the replacements Thursday at the latest.

20170422_084756.jpg

winfred

IMG_3668.jpgi ordered mine off a google search of the number on the original o-ring, the diameter should stay the same for a 20" rim, the only real variation is the thickness or round vs triangle, 4 outta 6 of my steelies were new and 5 had triangle rings, one has a round ring, my new rings are round that i got when one decided to leak, i'll check my phone and see if i can find a trace of the number i ended up with, if i do i'll post it right back, if not i'll post the info from the package of the spair ring at the house after work.

edit this is what i got, don't remember the original number but it was short and simple, when i tried local tire stores they wanted to sell me 22 or 24" rings and to cut and super glue the ends together

edit edit, when i look closely that o-ring you have looks like the right size, it doesn't sit on top of the flange, it goes around the barrel of the rim and sits on that step below the bead, i greased up mine with a thin coat of silicone grease

Last edited:

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Didn't do much to the deuce, but did some painting and in the process of doing so, created some interesting MV yard art!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CHIEFSONN

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Removed the stock oil canisters and filters and replaced them with John's JATonka spin on oil filter set up, drained the oil and refilled with a diesel synthetic oil that was on sale at wally world.replaced my air controller for the windshield wipers.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Not my deuce, but a local one. Pushing the starter button would engage the Bendix but the starter wouldn't spin. It would zap all the power and spark at the batteries. We removed all the extra wiring and jumped directly to the starter and it did the same thing so we pull started it and drove it to the yard. After installing a new (used) starter and battery cable everything seems fine.

IMG_0167.jpgIMG_0169.jpgIMG_0168.jpg

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of prep work was necessary before you painted the gun ring? Did you have to disassemble it in the process? I'm planning to do the same thing.

View attachment 677518
Prep work you ask? Well...

You could probably get by with just taking off the top cover, the one with the machine screws and back pad...hit both with a wire wheel and then shoot some paint and primer...but mine needed a tad more TLC. It was demilled by Uncle Sam and sat in a yard for a while and tossed around...it was cut and dropped and turned into a oval. But she works again. Spent a good few months of Sundays fixing it. Not fun but hey a gun ring with legs and a M2 cradle for under $1000.

I wouldn't suggest taking it completely apart unless you have to. And if you do, flip it over while the entire thing is supported by blocks and remove the 2 inner revolving rings and all the 100 bearings and cages.

Once schools out (I'm a teacher) I'll do a complete refurbish thread on this. Been swamped lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks