• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Another Ahab

You could probably get by with just taking off the top cover, the one with the machine screws and back pad...hit both with a wire wheel and then shoot some paint and primer...but mine needed a tad more TLC. It was demilled by Uncle Sam and sat in a yard for a while and tossed around...it was cut and dropped and turned into a oval. But she works again. Spent a good few months of Sundays fixing it. Not fun but hey a gun ring with legs and a M2 cradle for under $1000.
How did you get it back to round, heat it up and just wail on it?!

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cut out the slag and ugliness Uncle Sam's torch left behind, found out it was about 7/16" out of round and about 1/2" of gap to fill in. Used a porta-power (hydraulic portable jack) to force it back and hold it round while welding the gap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another Ahab

Cut out the slag and ugliness Uncle Sam's torch left behind, found out it was about 7/16" out of round and about 1/2" of gap to fill in. Used a porta-power (hydraulic portable jack) to force it back and hold it round while welding the gap.
You really mind your details, impressive. [thumbzup]

I thought you meant like it was "oval" and WAY out of round.

I went back to check the pics and found the shot. You know your stuff!

ABC.jpg

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You really mind your details, impressive. [thumbzup]

I thought you meant like it was "oval" and WAY out of round.

I went back to check the pics and found the shot. You know your stuff!

View attachment 677594
Thank you...I get by with basic resources around my garage...Not bad oval, but oval enough so it wouldn't turn when done.

m715mike

Thank you...I get by with basic resources around my garage...Not bad oval, but oval enough so it wouldn't turn when done.

We need a mod to change your screen name to "goodwithwood, gunrings, and anything else that will fit in my garage and driveway 35"!!!

I'm looking forward to your complete restoration thread. Now I'm looking forward to summer as much as my teenager!

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We need a mod to change your screen name to "goodwithwood, gunrings, and anything else that will fit in my garage and driveway 35"!!!

I'm looking forward to your complete restoration thread. Now I'm looking forward to summer as much as my teenager!
LOL...thank you. I'm sort of a "Hack of all trades" and "Too stubborn and cheap to pay for someone else to do it" type of guy.

And yeah, my garage is a mess. Once this thing is mounted on the truck I'll have a functional work area again. My wife keeps bugging me to clean it up. We have a 3 car garage and can barely fit one car in it due to my MV hobby and lack of time. But then she gets mad when I spend time on my hobby...One nice thing about being a teacher is that summers coming. But then there is always something that comes along and needs to happen to the old deuce. But it's fun nevertheless.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL...thank you. I'm sort of a "Hack of all trades" and "Too stubborn and cheap to pay for someone else to do it" type of guy.

And yeah, my garage is a mess. Once this thing is mounted on the truck I'll have a functional work area again. My wife keeps bugging me to clean it up. We have a 3 car garage and can barely fit one car in it due to my MV hobby and lack of time. But then she gets mad when I spend time on my hobby...One nice thing about being a teacher is that summers coming. But then there is always something that comes along and needs to happen to the old deuce. But it's fun nevertheless.

A humble term for being a Craftsman.

Yarz

I just finished up repacking the bearings on the left side of both rear axles. It's a constant battle to keep the oil out, usually on that side only.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter

One of the nice things about being a teacher...I look forward to my summers like a kid all over again.

winfred

unique truck equipment seemed to have the best price after a decent amount of searching of 77 for a bag of 100 delivered, some places are twice that, i ended up using 96 1 1/2", didn't do the rim bolts as i think they'll be ok with the bell washers at 500 foot pounds

NICE! I plan on getting some for my trucks too.
yup aint where ya left it = bad, i pointed them where a loose lug would rotate into the hub but the adapter bolts are nut and bolt so i guess they could drift in or out, almost tempted to tack weld the bolt heads so i could torque them without a back up but that may be overkill and i don't want to effect the strength (even though i suspect one bolt could likely pick the whole 16k ish pound truck up

Nice.

What's the visual "flag" of a loose nut?

What's the failure mode look like?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks