• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Clay James

View attachment 680855View attachment 680857I just finished flipping my hubs. I've also heard this was a 4 hour job. After installing adapters for MRAP wheels, mounting tires...."murphys tire compound is worth its weight in gold" painting rims, flipped, cleaned, re-packed bearings, new seals, flipped studs. These tires were on my stock rims. So that added alot to the time...So two weekends of putzing around and can't be happier.
I flipped my 109 hubs in that time, but I've been in deuce hubs so much I could do them in my sleep. I also have all the tools and didn't have to clean the bearings and my brakes are good because I stay on top of that stuff. Four hours is kind of a best case scenario time.

AZK9

Finally picked up my Deuce and brought it home this weekend.View attachment 681389...
Seeing that NJ plate makes me want to get back to the Garden State to finish working on my deuce! Not looking forward to doing battle with
the mosquitoes and humidity though. I'm hoping that this will be a somewhat dry, bug-free summer in NJ. Makes working outside more enjoyable.

Congratulations on a successful mission! Now comes all the fun! [thumbzup]

kml9705

Congratulations on a successful mission! Now comes all the fun! [thumbzup]
The fun has already started, Replaced a few lights, stoplight switch is bad (hydraulic side) kit ordered to relocate it to the air side, Most everything acquired to change the fluids, Ordered a 24 VDC to 12 VDC Converter, looking through TMs and searching through the forums. Gotta love a new toy :naner:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lowered the ground around my deuce today (Sat).
20170527_190243.jpg

My work has fleet vehicles and our own shop/mechanic. The mechanic has taken a liking to the deuce and helped once he got off work. Took the 2 of us 5 hours, including clean up. I bought a 3/4" impact wrench for the job, had to rent a torque wrench. It was well dark by the time we finished so I couldn't get any end pics.

The tires/wheels were among the cheapest components.

12 tires on wheels from surplus (3 no good, all but one were driver's side so I had to have 2 swapped, and all inspected by truck tire place)
Adapter plates from ebay
Bolts from Tri State Fasteners
Nuts from a brick & mortar hardware store near me
Lug nuts from Big Mike's Motor Pool

Last edited:

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my G177's installed on the deuce, took it for a short drive. Front brakes were locked up and would not release even with the adjusters completely backed off. Rears are fine. Cylinders move out if I step on the pedal and in if I open the bleeders. I'm pretty sure I need new front brake hoses. Thinking of upgrading to stainless steel lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianp454

I got sick of the doors sticking on my truck and tried to remove the hinge bolts holding the doors, but they are rust-welded, they will break or need to be torched. I would like to replace them with stainless steel and have a great industrial fastener place close by. I recall someone on here saying that they are an odd size (diameter?) and some folks drill them out to a more standard size. Do any of you know the size of the door hinge bolts?

Kaiser67M715

Started her after a long-long winters nap-two new batteries she started up after two 20 second crank sessions. 2 hours to inspect everything-then drove her 10 minutes up around the town common.

My speedo doesn't work, an issue that popped up end of last year, completely forgot about it, so need to investigate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bit of an update to my post yesterday. Took the deuce to an off road area about 40 miles away. It's mostly for dirt bikes and atv's. There are gates everywhere and they say if you can go around the gate you can drive there, though I don't think they had my truck in mind so I didn't think I should. I just drove down the main pot hole strewn dirt road. Had to turn around once in an area that wasn't deuce-sized so I improvised by backing through a water filled ditch and up a hillside - the new tires really did the trick there, didn't spin once.

Before:
20170326_175021_HDR.jpg

After:
20170528_192428.jpg

A few thoughts on the super singles. Mine are the Michelin XL
Michelin XL tire.jpg

The truck looked imposing on stock tires, but now even more so. They increase vibrations over the whole vehicle. Items I place on the seat have a tendency to vibrate their way to the floor now. These particular tires have a recommended top speed of 50 and at least on my truck around the 50-55 mph speed the truck feels like I'm driving over a washboard road. If you exceed about 55 the bumpiness subsides a little and becomes more tolerable but I mostly drive below 50 mph.

Doing the math on the circumference the 46" tires cover about 15% more ground per revolution over the stock 40".

It seems to me that over rough ground the heavier tires in the front (stock tire/wheel combo is around 125 lbs, I think and the XL come in close to 200 with adapters/hardware) may be less prone to being shoved around. While in the rear, you save weight because two stock tires weigh more than 1 super single. In any case turning seemed a trifle easier.

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bit of an update to my post yesterday. Took the deuce to an off road area about 40 miles away. It's mostly for dirt bikes and atv's. There are gates everywhere and they say if you can go around the gate you can drive there, though I don't think they had my truck in mind so I didn't think I should. I just drove down the main pot hole strewn dirt road. Had to turn around once in an area that wasn't deuce-sized so I improvised by backing through a water filled ditch and up a hillside - the new tires really did the trick there, didn't spin once.

Before:
View attachment 682295

After:
View attachment 682297

A few thoughts on the super singles. Mine are the Michelin XL
View attachment 682299

The truck looked imposing on stock tires, but now even more so. They increase vibrations over the whole vehicle. Items I place on the seat have a tendency to vibrate their way to the floor now. These particular tires have a recommended top speed of 50 and at least on my truck around the 50-55 mph speed the truck feels like I'm driving over a washboard road. If you exceed about 55 the bumpiness subsides a little and becomes more tolerable but I mostly drive below 50 mph.

Doing the math on the circumference the 46" tires cover about 15% more ground per revolution over the stock 40".

It seems to me that over rough ground the heavier tires in the front (stock tire/wheel combo is around 125 lbs, I think and the XL come in close to 200 with adapters/hardware) may be less prone to being shoved around. While in the rear, you save weight because two stock tires weigh more than 1 super single. In any case turning seemed a trifle easier.

I thought the dish out on the front was hard on the bearings.

winfred

i think those are 50/50 offset as opposed to the normal deep dish, my steel wheels, adapters, bead locks, tires and hardware scaled at 470# i put 1.5# of lead shot in each tire and so far it doesn't have any balance issues. the ride is better and the m109a3 bounce dropped a good 10 mph and is less noticable

I thought the dish out on the front was hard on the bearings.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i think those are 50/50 offset as opposed to the normal deep dish, my steel wheels, adapters, bead locks, tires and hardware scaled at 470# i put 1.5# of lead shot in each tire and so far it doesn't have any balance issues. the ride is better and the m109a3 bounce dropped a good 10 mph and is less noticable
They are 50/50 or zero offset. I'm still mulling over flipping the hubs in the rear - my biggest concern is putting stress on the bearings. Planning on overhauling the hubs later this summer, may do it then.

Half the wheels have lock rings, half just bolt together in the middle, they don't use a lock ring, don't need a O ring, simplest thing in the world to work with, but I've yet to find (admittedly, there are still a few calls to make) a tire place that will because it's a "military" wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks