• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

rustystud

Those are the widowmaker wheels. DOT banned the use of those. If we had a customer come in for work on those not only did we have to refuse to work on them, they had to switch them out if they were using their vehicles for commercial use. If they didn't get new wheels we HAD to report it to DOT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah. I haven't seen any for years now. Most where destroyed. The split rims are going down this road also. Soon, you will see all your wheels changed out by shops with certified equipment and tech's. Can't say this is a good thing though.

goodwithwood35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah. I haven't seen any for years now. Most where destroyed. The split rims are going down this road also. Soon, you will see all your wheels changed out by shops with certified equipment and tech's. Can't say this is a good thing though.
Honestly the deuce style wheels aren't nearly as bad as some of the other types I've seen. Not saying they are 100% safe but if you know what you are doing with these, keep everything clean, inspect well, and lube everything as you are putting them together, and have experience doing it, take your time, these are fine if you know what to look out for. But this is coming from someone who did this for a living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

someoldmoose

The last truck I saw split RIMS on was a '60s International Paystar farm truck that only got used for harvest time. The farmer brought it in to have "new" bald tires put on it and was LIVID when we refused to do it. We showed him some videos from www. wannadietoday? (not a real site) and he walked out in a huff. Came back a while later with some locking ring rims that we were all too happy to put his bald tires on. Never saw him again but his truck is still on the road and hasn't killed anyone, . . .yet. I still jump every time I see one of them blow. I saw one, forget what site, where a road service guy literally blew the service body off his truck trying to air one up because he used the back end as a cage of sorts. Better than nothing, but I wouldn't wanna call the boss about that one.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The few shops that will still touch them can now "Name" their prices as a result.
GCR (a big truck tire chain) charged me $500 to repair/swap three 395's and dismount 2 others so I could dispose of them. They were gonna charge me another $100 for disposal, but I got a better deal myself from the local dump ($20/each). The wheel type are the green ones in the pic and another truck tire place in town wouldn't even touch them. Neither place would touch the black wheels.

20170601_171307.jpg20170601_171446.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Are you thinking it's over-regulation even taking in the safety angle?

rustystud

Are you thinking it's over-regulation even taking in the safety angle?

If a person uses common sense and all the safety precautions, then why not keep the wheels. They are great for off road use where you might need to replace a tire and don't have a tire machine handy. In todays litigious society where you can get sued for just looking at someone funny these wheels are doomed. Soon it will be illegal to use just like the old split ring wheels.

Jericho

I guess I missed the notice, Split rims Illegal, Humm not here, not only do I run them, but I see quite a few. If they came as OEM on a truck one can run them till the vehicle is scrapped, I do agree they can be dangerous, BUT having said that they served for 70 plus years , If one uses proper procedures and CLEANS and INSPECTS the rims when they are apart they shouldn't have any issues, The theory of locking on the rim is SOUND, its the condition of the rim and the Intelligence of the individual assembling them that's is the variable. Guess Iam lucky , we are an agricultural region, If I take them to the tire shop, they never bat an EYE . They see them all the time

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I guess I missed the notice, Split rims Illegal, Humm not here, not only do I run them, but I see quite a few. If they came as OEM on a truck one can run them till the vehicle is scrapped, I do agree they can be dangerous, BUT having said that they served for 70 plus years , If one uses proper procedures and CLEANS and INSPECTS the rims when they are apart they shouldn't have any issues, The theory of locking on the rim is SOUND, its the condition of the rim and the Intelligence of the individual assembling them that's is the variable. Guess Iam lucky , we are an agricultural region, If I take them to the tire shop, they never bat an EYE . They see them all the time
I believe you are confusing split rims for what you probably have... split RING rims.
Please read the earlier posts and look at the photos for a better understanding of the differences.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All

Does anybody have good photos of the different types of rims?

Cheers Phil
This is an EXCELLENT idea and legitimate request.

Photos posted that clearly show the differences will clear up much of the confusion here.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. Truer words have (almost) never been spoken.

I'm looking forward to seeing the "police array" of the suspects in this case.

nopics
nopics
nopics

Clay James

I really don't see the big deal with split ring wheels. They aren't that dangerous or hard to do. People these days just can't handle much. In a lot of cases they're easier to do than single piece wheels. I've done many of them at work and on my trucks and if it's clean and locked in properly and you pay attention to what you're doing it's not coming off. When the tire starts to air up it pushes the ring even tighter against the wheel locking it more. Now actual split rims are a different story because unlike split ring wheels you can't actually see the locking part, so it's trickier. I haven't done or seen any even though I'm in an area with a lot of old agricultural equipment. My 48 Ford F6 has them though and it needs tires so I guess I get to learn them.

Jericho

Thanks for the reply, No though, I was discussing both Three and four (five even ) piece wheels in the post, The four (or 5)piece rims found on 1920s thru easy fifties on 1 ton and up trucks that are actually two half's ,cut across the entire rim, with a retention device and they fit on the SPOKES of the hub, Have a 36 COE with them . And in the second half I was referring to SPLIT RING RETENSION RINGS , commonly found on the M35A2 ect ,also commonly now refered to as "split Rims"as knowledge of the older rims fades. OSHA still prints regulation on safety procedures for both. The 1930 rims are still availible for restorations, I don't run any of my trucks commercially and don't fall under DOT regs for commercial trucks , IN NH "private" Antigue plated vehicles over fifty years of age arn't even subject to inspection , nor are vehicles in Alaska registered outside Anchorage city limits , I register in both states. I routine "summer drive" my trucks and have never been even "Cautioned" about them, Mind you I run serviceable tires and keep my rims clean and freshly painted. Sorry I seg-wayed with out being clear , hadn't noticed it until you pointed it out and I re read my post . I do know they are a NO NO in Cali,

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed the PTO about a month ago and all seemed well. So yesterday I crawled under to do an inspection and I have a leak between the PTO and transmission. I ordered new gaskets today, and when they arrive, I'll fix it!

rustystud

I really don't see the big deal with split ring wheels. They aren't that dangerous or hard to do. People these days just can't handle much. In a lot of cases they're easier to do than single piece wheels. I've done many of them at work and on my trucks and if it's clean and locked in properly and you pay attention to what you're doing it's not coming off. When the tire starts to air up it pushes the ring even tighter against the wheel locking it more. Now actual split rims are a different story because unlike split ring wheels you can't actually see the locking part, so it's trickier. I haven't done or seen any even though I'm in an area with a lot of old agricultural equipment. My 48 Ford F6 has them though and it needs tires so I guess I get to learn them.
Your correct when you say "if it's clean and locked in properly" . The problem is the rings need to be replaced on a regular basis due to fatigue since they are "hardened" steel. Most people today don't even know what to look for on the rings let alone having them clean and rust free. They are suppose to have a natural "curl" and your suppose to measure the distance from the ground to the top of the curl with the other end touching the ground. I don't even remember the distance anymore. Now the problem is they are no longer being made so how are you suppose to replace the rings if you cannot buy them ? I suppose some shops still have some in their inventory, but once they are used up that's it.

kml9705

Went to change the fuel filters yesterday. Pulled the primary out, there was a lot of crap in the canister. cleaned it out and when I went to put the new filter in (Wix 33511) I realized that the end holes were way too big. So, I cleaned it up the original the best I could and put it back together rather than trying to modify things to make the Wix filter work. I emailed Jatonka Last night to order one of his primary spin on filter kits. The secondary and final filters (Wix 33512) worked well enough to put in the new ones. The second filter in the system was the worst, had about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch of gunk on the bottom of the canister. The third filter was the cleanest. I'll order the other spin on filters as funds permit.

While doing this i also discovered several wires that had the insulation cracked so I went ahead and taped them up. I just ordered up 100' of new Prestolite Wire and Shell Connectors from Erik's so I can replace some of it as well as wire up a brake control and 24v to 12v converter. I also found two free ended wires taped up along the firewall. I wonder if they were connected to each other at one time. They are about 4 inches apart so I guess a section could have been cut out. Not seeing any other possibility. Haven't found anything that doesn't work yet except the fuel gauge and it's pegging on full so I was thinking a ground issue on that.

20170610_175130.jpg20170610_175134.jpg

I also have a question on the volt gauge, When idling or running smooth (as much as you can with the deuce) it reads normal, in the green but when you are accelerating or on a rough road it bounces all over the place is this normal?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks