• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

texas30cal

I installed my led backup lights, used prestolite wire and connectors from eriks. Also ran 8g wire (from eriks) from the starter hot post to a 24v relay and from the relay to a fuse panel for 24v lights/accessories and my 12v voltage reducer that will power the ac system (except the comp clutch). I used the #1 wire from the main switch to activate the 24v relay so when I turn the main power switch off it kills everything .

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Finished installing the G177's I just got from 98G.

In the process of inspecting all the hubs, brakes, and adjusting things while I had it apart, I noticed the front brakes were locked. I thought I smelled brakes the last time I drove it, but I was driving in a lot of stop/go city traffic. Backing the adjusters off all the way didn't help. I cracked both front bleeders open and fluid shot out like a fire hose and the brakes released. Pumped them back up and they locked again. Opened bleeders to release. Pulled front drums back off and nothing out of order, no issues with the rear brakes. MC was just replaced about a year ago. Found my front middle brake hose clogged up and failed. Decided to go ahead and replace all the rubber lines with Stainless steel braided lines like peashooter used to sell. Used his build list actually! Got the old ones removed, some required a lot of heat to get them to crack loose. Installed the new ones, they fit like a dream. Re-adjusted and bled the brakes. Nice hard pedal, fronts now release!!!

Truck drives like a dream...coming from MRAP tires to 1100's, it feels like I added power steering! What a difference! Love the look and Handling of the G177s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your truck looks awesome. I have been bugging a friend to buy a set of 177s and do his truck in 24087. I just sent him these pics to further the cause.

kml9705

You didn't connect the heater wires. Now the water can freeze in winter.
They are 12 volt and I haven't set up the 12v converter yet, need to acquire a few more parts. Hopefully that will be done in the next few weeks. It will certainly be done before it gets cold enough to need the heaters on the Drain Valves.

20170619_084758.jpg

Still need a fuse box, some heavier wire / connectors for the main power coming into the converter and a few other odds and ends.

I'll probably order the remaining items when I get paid Friday. I'm sure I'll figure out additional things I'll need as well as I start the installation.

Last edited:

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the drain valve heaters, can they be wired in series, with one switch? Some folks run two 12vdc components ( head lamps or side view mirror heaters/defrosters) that way.

The downside is if one fails, both do not work.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

kml9705

On the drain valve heaters, can they be wired in series, with one switch? Some folks run two 12vdc components ( head lamps or side view mirror heaters/defrosters) that way.
The downside is if one fails, both do not work.
They have their own thermostat built in so no switch needed. They will be wired directly to a 12v fuse panel I will be adding.

Nice item there, are they solenoid activated (hard-wired)?

They will be hard wired to the 12v system I'm adding in (24v to 12v converter and fuse panel). They have their own thermostat so they will be directly wired to the 12v fuse panel. Not sure yet if I will run them back to their own fuses or combine them to one wire/fuse.
They will be hard wired to the 12v system I'm adding in (24v to 12v converter and fuse panel). They have their own thermostat so they will be directly wired to the 12v fuse panel. Not sure yet if I will run them back to their own fuses or combine them to one wire/fuse.

I got them from
Erik's Military and Industrial Surplus.

Last edited:

Champ173rd

Well,
I got her home in the 108 degree weather coming through the desert sweating my sack off. But was still smiling. I've painted one of the custom rims he included to see how it would look once I get some new tires for it. Putting on a reese hitch. Cleaned the engine to check for minor leaks and future gasket changing. Just basically looking it over again and tightened some belts ect.

20170617_175924.jpg20170617_115108 (1).jpg20170619_184424.jpg20170619_200937.jpgIMG_20170618_000325_329.jpg

kml9705

I changed the oil today Everything went pretty smoothly but ****, is there any way to change the filters without getting oil everywhere :lol:
When I took the filter canisters off I saw this on the back side.

20170620_125557.jpg

It was facing towards the engine so it couldn't be seen. I looked at the FDC and not sure if it is by-passed but I don't think it is. What do you guys think?

20170620_125615.jpg

I also installed a VIC-4 Intercom today. The control boxes are only temporarily mounted. I want to get some brackets and stand them up. I also have the intercom connected directly to the battery so I need to make sure that I turn it off when I shut the truck down. I will be changing that also. When I pull 24v for the 12v converter I'm going to pull it so that it is powered on with the main switch and I think I'll wire the intercom somewhere into that leg.

20170620_165619.jpg20170620_165630.jpg20170620_165700.jpg20170620_181054.jpg20170620_181117.jpg

And of course I went out for a ride with my son. Had to test out the intercom. All worked well but there is a loose connection where the drivers headset wire connects to the wire going to the control box. I think it is the connector to the headset. I need to play with that wire a bit more to figure out a solution or maybe just replace it.

Last edited:

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Well guys, it has been the pleasure of a lifetime talking to you all about my Deuce and following this thread (and I will continue to), but I think it's about time to part ways with my rig. Considering I am full swing fixing up my M923a2 I don't really have much time or purpose for my M35a2 therefor a potential buyer is "supposed" to pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday; mixed feelings for sure!

rustystud

Well,
I got her home in the 108 degree weather coming through the desert sweating my sack off. But was still smiling. I've painted one of the custom rims he included to see how it would look once I get some new tires for it. Putting on a reese hitch. Cleaned the engine to check for minor leaks and future gasket changing. Just basically looking it over again and tightened some belts ect.

View attachment 685970View attachment 685972View attachment 685973View attachment 685974View attachment 685975
Oh the joy of first "Love" . I remember it well. Just like in marriage though there will be times when you think you cannot take it anymore and will want to sell her (divorce) . Those feelings will pass, and then the love returns ! That's when you buy her fancy accessories like "power steering" and "overdrive kits" ! Nothing says lovin like "power steering" !!!

rustystud

Well guys, it has been the pleasure of a lifetime talking to you all about my Deuce and following this thread (and I will continue to), but I think it's about time to part ways with my rig. Considering I am full swing fixing up my M923a2 I don't really have much time or purpose for my M35a2 therefor a potential buyer is "supposed" to pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday; mixed feelings for sure!
That is so sad I cried ! When a relationship breaks apart like that because of another woman ( I mean vehicle) it effects us all !!!

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
That's what I thought. Maybe the oil filter canisters came off of another Deuce and that could be why they were turned around the other way so that label couldn't be seen. Next oil change I plan on upgrading to the spin on filter.
1. It doesn't matter if FDC is bypassed or not to use fuel that is not 100% diesel fuel. I see that even if they are not bypassed they probably do not function as per design. See Rustystud research.
The multi fuel runs on 100% new motor oil just fine, or many different versions of burnable stuff, just remember that the current "diesel fuel" at the store is not everything this engine needs.
2. The real reason to put spin on lube oil filters on the engine is to reduce the startup to full lube oil circulation time down to a few seconds. Also one may gradually reduce the absolute filter range down way below the original filters to try to get more nasties out of the oil. Original design is to drain all the oil back to the crankcase on shutdown. Proper spin on lube oil filters have a flapper check valve to hold the lube oil where it belongs. It is nice to hear the turbo get oil for lube 6 seconds or less on startup instead of more than 10 times that long.
3. One may swap over to proper spin on filters anytime, no need to wait for the 5 gallon oil change. Keep the canisters as heirlooms. View attachment IMG_3018.MOV

Another Ahab

Sad news for sure, but at least you found her a new "loving home". :driver::beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks