• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed an overdrive transmission, power steering, and lockout hubs on my air force M109a3. It is a different truck, very pleased with the result.

rujimbob

Nice! How are you liking the big singles? My NDT's are in great shape, but I really want the larger wheels/tires (if nothing else to give me higher top speed). Just having a tough time justifying the $5000to the missus.

sharkhunter2018

Finally able to get my valves adjusted. Been after my dad to come help me for months but we've both been too busy. I knew I had one valve ticking in the back which turned out to be #4 intake. All the rest were way too tight. We didn't check to see what they actually were though. Now if only I didn't have a bad battery, i could have started it. That'll have to wait a few days. Hopefully it will help smooth out the rough start in cooler weather, but I won't find that out for a few months

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
what did you use for power steering?
Got the power steering from Waterloo Specialties, M-35Tom on the site. Expensive,yes, worth it, most certainly, especially if you are doing any parking or turning in tight places. The od transmission came from him too. The installation is not bad, drilling the frame is the hardest job. If you can buy,beg, borrow or steal a mag drill it will make your life much easier. Tom is a patient man, I called him many times with questions and he was always helpful.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
5k? Man ill sell you mine for 4k8) LMAO jk...Anyways they are fun and look much better in my opinion. Just like anything be patient and she will understand at some point.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just having a tough time justifying the $5000to the missus.
You can do it on a budget, if you have access to army surplus tires. My set up came in around $2k and I think if I did it again I could do it for less.

To be on topic, I read on Friday about a classic car show in a neighboring town on Saturday, called to see if they'd be ok with my classic and they said it'd be ok:

20170715_093314.jpg

With all the hot rods and such around I figured maybe I'd get a few curious people but tons of people stopped to ask questions. Kids loved it because all the other cars were shined up and you couldn't touch them and I told kids they could climb up to look at the engine (that's my ladder on the side) or climb in the cab (just don't touch anything on the dash). Lots of people were impressed about how cheap you can get into the hobby...compared to all the other cars on display.

Mine was the only MV there, but not the only big truck. There were 3 semi's.

I got an invite to a Vietnam Veteran car show next week. I've been hesitant to take my deuce to MV rallies because of the mods done and how this deuce isn't a restoration.

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
PLEASE, don't let that stop you!

We even have a section here for mods and hot-rodding. If the trucks were all the same, they'd be pretty boring.

Kaiser67M715

I got an invite to a Vietnam Veteran car show next week. I've been hesitant to take my deuce to MV rallies because of the mods done and how this deuce isn't a restoration.

PLEASE, don't let that stop you!

We even have a section here for mods and hot-rodding. If the trucks were all the same, they'd be pretty boring.
Agreed, any MV rally should be willing to have you along, I mean if you think about, minus concourse? Car shows where originality is the name of the game, all car shows are at least half made up of modified cars, I see no reason why an MV rally should be any different.

And also to stay on topic, changed out the leaking oil lines from block to filter, I need to work on getting a plate made up so I can convert to a full flow system rather then the bypass. So that also prompted an oil change, I normally get my oil from wally world, but they was all out of stock, so paid the extra $25 and got the oil from autozone

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

texas30cal

I got my drivers side floorboard insulation cut and fit into place. This is being done to compliment the new ac system. I drove it to town about 15 min after warming up, temps as follows
pass floor, no insul, no sound deadener = 110f
trans tunnel, no insul, sound deadener on bottom = 92f
drivers floor, 1/2" insul, no sound deadener = 72f

the insulation is mil surp from a HET cab insulation kit, cut to fit. The kits have lots of pieces of diff sizes and shapes. Thanks to fuzzytoaster for the deal on the kits!!!!

CMPPhil

......To be on topic, I read on Friday about a classic car show in a neighboring town on Saturday, called to see if they'd be ok with my classic and they said it'd be ok:View attachment 689984
.......Kids loved it because all the other cars were shined up and you couldn't touch them and I told kids they could climb up to look at the engine (that's my ladder on the side) or climb in the cab (just don't touch anything on the dash). Lots of people were impressed about how cheap you can get into the hobby......
Take it out and share it with people, modifications are fine.

Our MV club broke off from another some 30 + years ago because in part because the other group were such purests about other peoples trucks that it just wasn't fun. One of our first rules when we started having our own summer rally NO Judging. Second rule have fun and drive the MVs and enjoy them. Long and short the other club is long gone, we are having out 30 Summer Rally (Weare NH) in two weeks.

Your willingness to show the vehicle and talk with people about what you have done with the truck is what draws people to the hobby.

Cheers Phil

kml9705

Fixed my cab top today. When I took it to work for the Veteran's Cruise over July 4th weekend the stitching came out over the windshield. Made for a nice cool breeze coming in driving down I-80, LOL. :grin: Well, I glued the seam with Pliobond 35 and then put Gorilla Tape along the length of the seam. Can hardly notice the repair. :mrgreen:

20170717_172046.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks