• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a ladder off a M109 or equivalent 5 ton.
Not really sure what it is off of. I picked it up at a show in PA a few months ago. It looked the right height and the price was right so I bought it. It has lettering on it but the only word I can clearly read on it is "trailer".

rustystud

Im sure you are correct sir. The truck has been sitting idling and "charging dead batteries". As we know flat dead 6tl will NOT accept a charge in high amps like an alt. But the owner wanted to try it. He does run them hard and they must love it as they just keep runnin.
One of the most common oil leak areas is the turbo outlet. It appears as if your turbo has blown a seal, but really it's just the amount of oil puking out the exhaust.

rujimbob

Started the process to remove the (now) leaking manifold flame heater. Had trouble finding the larger plugs, so I just ordered the NOS ether quick start kit. Plugs for the flame heater are included. Getting started with that install, but it got really cold and I needed more research (here). I'll get back to it tomorrow if the sun comes out.

There is a long fuel line from under the main fuel pump that I don't want to mess with removing. Looks like I'd have to move the air compressor or the steering gear, so I'm gonna try to find a way to just cap the compression fitting. Maybe a long cap acorn nut with some teflon tape.

Modiconman

Replaced my oil gauge, simple enough.
Removed and disassembled my locked up winch, found pinion bearings rusted.
Will begin the clean and rebuild as soon as i procure the bearings, seals and gaskets.

winfred

mine wasn't too hard to remove the fitting and install a plug with some teflon tape, did it from the top iirc, but being a carrier mechanic i am use to swiveling my meat hooks into bizarre and unnatural positions

There is a long fuel line from under the main fuel pump that I don't want to mess with removing. Looks like I'd have to move the air compressor or the steering gear, so I'm gonna try to find a way to just cap the compression fitting. Maybe a long cap acorn nut with some teflon tape.

Caseymikl

Started it and ran it. Found out my cool truck kites are 12v only. So I guess they won’t be going in the deuce. Also got a few air ride seats that will be putting in it and replacing the factory ones, or atleast just the driver seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

winfred

fired it up after a month or so and drove to napa to find out they didn't have enough of the supplies need to rebuild the blown drive motor hydraulic line on my bobcat, only sleeves and hose i have on hand are for ac lines and wouldn't expect them to hold 10 times the pressure on a bet, they had hose but no sleeves

rujimbob

Removed the (now) leaking manifold flame heater

Question as well as a post: Is it normal to have smoke puffing from the snot tube that empties between the turbo halves (see pic)?

Spent the better part of a few days last week removing the manifold flame heater, since it just decided to start dripping fuel on the hot end of the turbo. And since I've never used it even last winter in 0-degree starts, I figure I don't need it. Realized too late that the plugs I'd need aren't exactly standard parts. After much learning from the good folks here I got the quick start ether kit NOS from Ebay for $80'ish. This kit includes almost every plug I needed in the right sizes.

There's a fuel line that originates from somewhere between the steering gears, fuel pump, and air compressor that needed plugged (I'll try to post some pics if anyone cares). I have exactly ZERO interest in removing any of those parts to get to it, so I capped the line at the top of the engine. Finding a compression fitting cap wasn't exactly easy either since a compression fitting cap isn't a normal part either. Granger was good enough to send me a 1/4" Parker A-Lok compression cap that did the trick nicely.

IMG_1294.jpgIMG_1297.jpgIMG_1298.jpghttps://youtu.be/WdMbNLzLb_Q

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your slobber tube smokes just a little more than mine. Not sure if they’re within normal range, but every deuce I’ve seen smokes some from there. Clamping a 2 Ft or so rubber extension tube on there allows it to slobber out below the engine and axle. It’ll save you a lot of cleanup in your engine compartment.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Some blow-by on a truck this old is pretty normal. Try putti g a few thousand pounds in the bed and run it hard for an hour or two. I bet it clears up a bit.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question as well as a post: Is it normal to have smoke puffing from the snot tube that empties between the turbo halves (see pic)?

Spent the better part of a few days last week removing the manifold flame heater, since it just decided to start dripping fuel on the hot end of the turbo. And since I've never used it even last winter in 0-degree starts, I figure I don't need it. Realized too late that the plugs I'd need aren't exactly standard parts. After much learning from the good folks here I got the quick start ether kit NOS from Ebay for $80'ish. This kit includes almost every plug I needed in the right sizes.

There's a fuel line that originates from somewhere between the steering gears, fuel pump, and air compressor that needed plugged (I'll try to post some pics if anyone cares). I have exactly ZERO interest in removing any of those parts to get to it, so I capped the line at the top of the engine. Finding a compression fitting cap wasn't exactly easy either since a compression fitting cap isn't a normal part either. Granger was good enough to send me a 1/4" Parker A-Lok compression cap that did the trick nicely.

View attachment 712739View attachment 712740View attachment 712741https://youtu.be/WdMbNLzLb_Q
My truck sometimes will puff like a train out of the "slobber tube" too. I used to worry about it more than I do now thanks to comments like Gimpy's above, and the truck continues to run very well. What has been recommended before, and I highly endorse too, is to put a longer tube on the bottom of the turbo. It keeps the mess off the frame rail, electrical, and top of the differential. I put on a 2 ft extension. At least one person made a PVC "catch can" and periodically empties out the collected oil.

2017-05-19 19.08.15 HDR.jpg 2017-05-19 19.09.28.jpg 2017-05-19 19.09.24 HDR.jpg

More details and pictures of mine here:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...s-1972-M35A2&p=2016035&viewfull=1#post2016035

Last edited:

rustystud

Yeah its been on the to do list but i think it might have moved up a few spots on the list
So you actually plan to install a snorkel then ! That means your going "submarining" again. Personally I don't want to deal with all the maintenance you must perform after you submerge a truck. Even though I installed all the stuff to allow me to submerge it. I did it because "you never know" . That has been my lifelong mantra. "You never know" , because you never really know what will come up. I might be out in the backwoods and need to cross a wide stream which actually turns out to be a deep river ! You just "never know" !!! That's also why I'm setting up my M105 trailer to carry all the tools (and spare parts) I would need to rebuild my truck. Well not totally rebuild it, but close !
My wife says I'm just super paranoid. I say "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that their not out to get me" !!!

Last edited:

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now if your mind as you say has a hard time retaining knowledge, then carry a TM with you on the truck. A lot of guys do that. I carry a laptop with all the TM's on it. Like they say "never leave home without it ! " .
Is there a TM index that tells you which TM to look at for which part of the Deuce? I have dozens of TMs for my Deuce, but they are all listed just by the TM number so I have do a lot of searching to find the right one. When I was in the USAF, our TMs had a master index.

chwhite0783

So you actually plan to install a snorkel then ! That means your going "submarining" again. Personally I don't want to deal with all the maintenance you must perform after you submerge a truck. Even though I installed all the stuff to allow me to submerge it. I did it because "you never know" . That has been my lifelong mantra. "You never know" , because you never really know what will come up. I might be out in the backwoods and need to cross a wide stream which actually turns out to be a deep river ! You just "never know" !!! That's also why I'm setting up my M105 trailer to carry all the tools (and spare parts) I would need to rebuild my truck. Well not totally rebuild it, but close !
My wife says I'm just super paranoid. I say "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that their not out to get me" !!!
yeah that's been my philosophy...id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, plus a few hard lessons when I was younger. blew a few trucks up playin in the mud. And, being a mechanic for a living, seeing peoples results of neglect i have learned to be anal and take care of my stuff. i take care of everything i own. it sucks sometimes, but if u wanna play you gotta pay. i already got the gear oil to drain it all out. i planned on replacing all the bearings and seals in the front diff in the spring anyway so might as well have my fun.

59apache

Chipmaker
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks