• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

mcoady76

Replaced my busted front break hose and installed my canvas cover and got it laced on with my $26.00 super cord from McMaster Carr, thanks to a thread on here. made me a bleeder pump from a weed killer pump and bled the brakes really good, got air out from all but one wheel. drove to local beer store this morning.:beer:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF1857.jpgDSCF1858.jpgThe weather man said light rain in the morning, but it turned into snow. So I'll get to the PTO work when it clears up.

Last edited:

rustystud

yeah that's been my philosophy...id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it, plus a few hard lessons when I was younger. blew a few trucks up playin in the mud. And, being a mechanic for a living, seeing peoples results of neglect i have learned to be anal and take care of my stuff. i take care of everything i own. it sucks sometimes, but if u wanna play you gotta pay. i already got the gear oil to drain it all out. i planned on replacing all the bearings and seals in the front diff in the spring anyway so might as well have my fun.
As mechanics we know the damage things like "submarining" can do, so we prepare ! Also if you ever had to run a wrecker you see some pretty messed up stuff. So you start to think what would I need in a situation like that. Then that kind of thinking eventually starts you down the rabbit hole with no end in sight ! So you give in to the paranoia and learn to live with it ! Yes paranoia, my old friend ! :cookoo::cookoo:

URSATDX

I replaced the air supply line to the Air Assist P/S and added a few ounces of MMO to the supply line. The steering has improved but no way I can one handed move the steering wheel when the truck is stationary. Replaced a few bad bulbs. NAPA has them but very pricey.
Still trying to figure out my tach issue. When I got it the tach would seem fine at idle but pin at any RPMs above idle. I tried to adjust the sensor(its a pain to access) now it reads what I believe is accurate at idle but reads as though I am over revving when I drive. With the bigger tires I'm still not sure of actual MPH but I am downloading a GPS to my phone to get a better indication of my actual speed. I really want an accurate tach. Not sure if I should by a new tach or remove/clean sensor and go from there.
I need info on replacing the vent lines from the drag link and why they appear to vent to the air intake. Can they be vented elsewhere? If not what have others used to replace this strange hose.
Gotta go. So many questions. Appreciate any help. PM me if needed.
And.......
Merry Christmas

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I replaced the air supply line to the Air Assist P/S and added a few ounces of MMO to the supply line. The steering has improved but no way I can one handed move the steering wheel when the truck is stationary. Replaced a few bad bulbs. NAPA has them but very pricey.
Still trying to figure out my tach issue. When I got it the tach would seem fine at idle but pin at any RPMs above idle. I tried to adjust the sensor(its a pain to access) now it reads what I believe is accurate at idle but reads as though I am over revving when I drive. With the bigger tires I'm still not sure of actual MPH but I am downloading a GPS to my phone to get a better indication of my actual speed. I really want an accurate tach. Not sure if I should by a new tach or remove/clean sensor and go from there.
I need info on replacing the vent lines from the drag link and why they appear to vent to the air intake. Can they be vented elsewhere? If not what have others used to replace this strange hose.
Gotta go. So many questions. Appreciate any help. PM me if needed.
And.......
Merry Christmas
YOu should start a new thread on your tach issue. Sounds like yours is not a mechanical driven tach anymore, or was it originally an A3? Hard to tell with no info and a small avatar pic.

pitpawten

Started it.

And showed the 13yo the startup procedure and various buttons/switches.

Someone else needs to be able to get it running if I'm busy fighting off the zombies :D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

brianp454

I agree. When I was a kid my dad used to take GM 4WD trucks and run them through rivers and crap. Sometime later a wheel bearing or something would fail and it would be all the surprise. The mature attitude is to understand that you can run these things through deep water and they will do just fine, BUT IF YOU DO NOT DRAIN FLUIDS, REPACK BEARINGS, ETC. YOU ARE ASKING FOR A FAILURE SOMETIME DOWN THE ROAD. It's just a question of WHEN.

The concern that when you run into water and you really do not know how deep is a real concern. I bit too much water into an engine and the connecting rods get shortened and the counterweights on the crank start to plow into the piston skirts. At that point the engine is 100% scrap and you're walking.

So you actually plan to install a snorkel then ! That means your going "submarining" again. Personally I don't want to deal with all the maintenance you must perform after you submerge a truck. Even though I installed all the stuff to allow me to submerge it. I did it because "you never know" . That has been my lifelong mantra. "You never know" , because you never really know what will come up. I might be out in the backwoods and need to cross a wide stream which actually turns out to be a deep river ! You just "never know" !!! That's also why I'm setting up my M105 trailer to carry all the tools (and spare parts) I would need to rebuild my truck. Well not totally rebuild it, but close !
My wife says I'm just super paranoid. I say "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean that their not out to get me" !!!

URSATDX

I removed and relined the parking brake on my A3 yesterday and today (17-25 degrees outside).
Disassembled yesterday, cleaned and sanded any rust.
Removed old lining rivets with a handy cone shaped grinding head from Harbor Freight.
Had to drill and slightly alter new linings to fit properly.
Install was tough, that stinking spring is a pain. Just about buttoned up and discovered
I failed to install the large C-clip on the inner brake pad shoe assembly. Sheet it's cold out.
**** that spring again. It's all together again. It seems the inner shoe want to drag on the
drum more than the outer. Plugged in the block heater and will test out the brake tomorrow.
Any advice on adjustments would be welcomed. I read and reread the TM. Don't want to cook
my new linings. Oh ....that stinking spring.
Happy/Merry to all.

Wolfgang the Gray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Spent 6-hours washing the Deuce in preparation for the 27th Annual Military Vehicle show on the 27-28th. I got a bunch of hidden dust out of the frame & scrubbed little pockets of it off bolts & places where it clung to a bit of oil or grease. My canvas chain guards of the rear gate were tan when I started, but a bunch of scrubbing with a tooth brush turned them back green. The water in the white bucket is all from those two guards. Unfortunately, the second guard fell apart as I was putting it back on. Anyone know where I can get a replacement pair? Also, I'd like to replace the fuel tank cap as the underside looks terrible & I found a broken filter screen at the bottom of the filler sleeve (is that the proper name?). I also found some leakage on the middle axles, but that will have to wait until after the show. I'l be cleaning that up this next weekend.
IMAG9388.jpgIMAG9386.jpgIMAG9387.jpgIMAG9390.jpgIMAG9389.jpgIMAG9391.jpgIMAG9385.jpgIMAG9383.jpg

Last edited:

Kaiser67M715

Spent 6-hours washing the Deuce in preparation for the 27th Annual Military Vehicle show on the 27-28th. I got a bunch of hidden dust out of the frame & scrubbed little pockets of it off bolts & places where it clung to a bit of oil or grease. My canvas chain guards of the rear gate were tan when I started, but a bunch of scrubbing with a tooth brush turned them back green. The water in the white bucket is all from those two guards. Unfortunately, the second guard fell apart as I was putting it back on. Anyone know where I can get a replacement pair? Also, I'd like to replace the fuel tank cap as the underside looks terrible & I found a broken filter screen at the bottom of the filler sleeve (is that the proper name?). I also found some leakage on the middle axles, but that will have to wait until after the show. I'l be cleaning that up this next weekend.
View attachment 715024View attachment 715025View attachment 715026View attachment 715028View attachment 715029View attachment 715027View attachment 715030View attachment 715031
How's your brake fluid? That is typically the sign of a leaking wheel cylinder-not good to lose brakes...

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

kml9705

Sunday I got rid of an old pick up truck and had to move my Bronco (not running) into the spot the pick up came out of. I towed it back as far as I could with the Deuce then positioned the Deuce behind the obstacle that the Bronco had to be pulled up against and used the winch to pull it back the rest of the way. I should have taken pictures of the process but this is all I got.

26756740_10211272520111263_8922787472632290183_o.jpg

Yesterday I had to drive it about 20 miles away, my daily driver is in the shop. It was great until the drive home in sleet / snow mix. I was really hoping to be home before the weather came in. This was my first time driving it in bad weather. I really wasn't trusting the NDTs for the conditions but I made it home okay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks