• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, I didn't mean to de-rail this thread with a mention of Safety Wire but I have to say I sure enjoyed the stories, brought back lots of memories. Only 3 years working on UH-1 Helicopters (Hueys) in the Army but it has had a lot of influence on my life.

Nomad1

Don't worry just engage the front axle :grin: I enjoyed the side track as well
Wow, I didn't mean to de-rail this thread with a mention of Safety Wire but I have to say I sure enjoyed the stories, brought back lots of memories. Only 3 years working on UH-1 Helicopters (Hueys) in the Army but it has had a lot of influence on my life.

Another Ahab

I figure it doesn't count as a "derail" until somebody complains:

- THEN we are obliged to get back on track

Until that moment we can jawbone as buddies together all we want.

:beer:

rustystud

Actually aircraft work is not nit-picky, the manuals leave a lot to desire in many cases. More people get into trouble over paperwork than how they did something. There are bad apples and don't care if they do a job right, or even just pencil whip things (like lubes). But for the most part people try. And mistakes do happen. But most get caught by inspection process or just others looking things over. Things do get missed. And the general public has no clue that a plane they are on could have dozens of things not working. And there is a process to defer some items. Every plane (airliner) has a Minimum Equipment List. And that basically tells you if the plane can be dispatched with something not working. There is no limits to MEL's on a plane. There could be 50 things or more deferred as long as the manual says they can be inoperative. And that's what mechanics are doing while the plane is boarding, and you hear a pa announcement, we are finishing up some maintenance paperwork, and yet you never saw a mechanic touch anything on the plane while it was at the gate. Unless it was something simple like a light bulb in the cockpit, there is no time between flights to fix much of anything.
That's pretty funny ! Our Transit buses are run the same way. They can have a ton of "BO" (bad orders) on them, as long as they are not safety related the bus can go out.

w250guy

Managed to get my in-tank pump working again, most of the bottom of the pump was missing i think only 3 plates were there and no cover with strainer, so i had a slow day at work and made up 4 more plates identical to the originals and made a cover with strainer with help from a picture i found. It actually pumps fuel like it should now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

w250guy

Also does anyone know what size screws hold the fuel pump in? Im going to get some cap screws to replace the phillips head screws but forgot to grab one this morning to take with me

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"They are nothing more than lengths of pipe, in a way, but just with airfoils added where needed."
Now that sounds like you are describing a can of "Red Bull" even the blue and silver in your picture backs it up.

Another Ahab

"They are nothing more than lengths of pipe, in a way, but just with airfoils added where needed."
Now that sounds like you are describing a can of "Red Bull" even the blue and silver in your picture backs it up.
Hmmm, who knew, evidently there's a story there.

But if we go there, we'll be drifting, right?

A.jpeg

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New reflectors & gauge ground lead showed up, hoping to switch them all out over the holiday weekend.
Resized_20190827_211215.jpg

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just drained/refilled gear oil in all three differentials, transmission, and transfer case.

Next up: remove and repack bearings on all 6 hubs... not looking forward to that.

Nomad1

I wondered why the barrell price went up today you used it all. People say I need to change to get with the times.I say I changed the oil what more do you want from me!
Just drained/refilled gear oil in all three differentials, transmission, and transfer case.

Next up: remove and repack bearings on all 6 hubs... not looking forward to that.

Fatalid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You'll be good to go after all of that.

But, what happened, did you lose a bet?!

:jumpin:
Lol, no... didn’t loose a bet :)

I haven’t changed the fluid since I’ve had the truck (about a year), and everyone knows you can’t trust that the “last guy” ever did any maintenance... so just to put my mind at ease, I put it on the schedule and took care of it.

Now I KNOW when the fluid was changed last. :)

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the 1" nylon tig sleeve and am stringing (4) 20 ga so cords to each side rear LED light. I had a roll of foundry duty small SO cord, so I'm using it. That is three lights plus a spare line on each side. There are 3 wires in each so cord for the high and low power of each LED 2057 + neutral. The large size sleeve is still not here for bringing all 8 wires from the rear forward to the control box yet and some welding has to be done before the wires go into the bumper and frame. 4 fit in a 1" sleeve. Hope the 1 1/2" will fit all 8.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed a new fuel sender at the tank.
Of course it didn't take the 5 min I thought it would because one screw was stripped and because it was next to the fuel line my 1/2" shank screw extractor wouldn't work...
Everything's a production with this truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks