• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to go check mine. I have the same setup as you - spring (dual) mount at the front of the bed, and then 3 bolted mounts going back the frame.
Yep, visited the mechanic today to drop off a part and talk him into doing more work.
When I got there, he was redoing some air lines and told me he just broke a fuel line. I let him know it's ok, and he can replace any old lines with upgraded lines as necessary. I'm not gonna nit-pic a professional poking around a 50 y.o. engine bay, if he bumps something and it breaks, it deserves to be replaced.
I think I talked him into mounting the second fuel tank, just the mounting though, I'll handle the connections later.

It's funny he kinda doesn't want to work on it, because he runs a shop, but I can also tell he's enjoying working on it. He won't trust any of his younger mechanics to work on it.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I lucked out and got a top of the line sand blasting cabinet. I can put most parts I can remove from the trucks. I also have a small Craftsman portable blaster. What a mess! I cleaned three parts and stopped. I’m going to come up with a better idea. I’m leaning towards a wooden framed structure with heave duty plastic wrapped around. Call it a temporary oversized blast cabinet. The only thing I have to buy is a set of gloves from Harbor freight.

I wasn't necessarily married to the Harbor Freight brand, I just meant a "portable" blaster. There may be options of a better quality. I can see a respirator mask, but a full body suit? I'm surprised that's necessary.
You're right though, if I can find a shop with a big cabinet for a reasonable price, I'd rather let them do it and save myself the hassle.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Walnut husks are supposed to be great media (I hear). No fuss disposal. Don't know where you get them though.
You can find them (among other places) at Harbor Freight, at $1/lb. Home Depot also sells it. Probably hunt around and get a better price if you buy a bigger quantity (keep in mind, it will rot if it's not protected) from somewhere.

Another Ahab

You can find them (among other places) at Harbor Freight, at $1/lb. Home Depot also sells it. Probably hunt around and get a better price if you buy a bigger quantity (keep in mind, it will rot if it's not protected) from somewhere.
That seems "pricey".

It's making me think of collecting hulls off of neighborhood trees for selling...

:idea::mrgreen:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That seems "pricey".

It's making me think of collecting hulls off of neighborhood trees for selling...

:idea::mrgreen:
A friend here in San Angelo runs a multi-generational family Pecan business covering central and west Texas - everything from nurserymen to orchards to harvesting to processing. He's shared that they make as much on the byproducts of the shelling operation as they do on the pecan "meat". Besides blasting media the crushed pecan shells can also be made into a pressed-wood product that sculptors apparently love to carve.

Another Ahab

He's shared that they make as much on the byproducts of the shelling operation as they do on the pecan "meat". Besides blasting media the crushed pecan shells can also be made into a pressed-wood product that sculptors apparently love to carve.
Every tree is worth more alive than dead: maybe cutting them down is not a real good idea, you know?

Play the cards right, and money DOES grow on trees!

A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Ajax MD

Every tree is worth more alive than dead: maybe cutting them down is not a real good idea, you know?

Play the cards right, and money DOES grow in trees!

View attachment 782293
The trees don't get cut down to harvest the nuts. A front-end loader with a special arm attaches to the tree and vibrates the h--- out of it, shaking the nuts free.
Edit: Ok, not a front loader, but you get the idea:
https://youtu.be/nahFysX0X4I?t=135

Last edited:

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use a sand blasting media that Menard’s sells. It not very expensive and it strips the paint, rust and everything else that sticks to metal. The sand blaster cabinet was sitting in a drive way with a for sale sign on it. $100.00 got a complete system.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks