• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

w250guy

Cables appear to be good, truck starts fine and everything works as it should minus the charging issue, and occasionally the blinkers won’t work correctly. I had it charging correct once before but then about halfway down my road it quit charging again. I’ve got voltage at the generator from the exciter wire as well and all connections look good and check good with a meter. I’m starting to think maybe the generator or voltage regulator could be bad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exhogflyer

Cables appear to be good, truck starts fine and everything works as it should minus the charging issue, and occasionally the blinkers won’t work correctly. I had it charging correct once before but then about halfway down my road it quit charging again. I’ve got voltage at the generator from the exciter wire as well and all connections look good and check good with a meter. I’m starting to think maybe the generator or voltage regulator could be bad?

Pull the brushes and see if they're worn out

77 AMG

I started the "Honey Badger" up for the first time in about 4 months. It had what sounded like three dead cylinders at first, and then it picked them up after about 2-3 minutes, and ran fine for the rest of the time.

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

!

G'day everyone,....

Well I have just finished doing a little job I have been wanting to do for a while.

I finally managed to get to the lift pump fuse, I managed to get that cover off without breaking anything.

Last couple of attempts it was always stuck on the front and I could not get it to break free.

Well today I did it!

PIC_0008.jpg

Got to see the mess under the cover,....

PIC_0009.jpg

The gasket has seen better days,...

PIC_0011.jpg

I got the fuse out intact but when I cleaned the ends to make sure there would be clean contacts the end just fell off.

PIC_0010.jpg

So I got some new fuses.

PIC_0012.jpg

And made a new gasket from a sheet of rubber matting I keep for just this sort of thing.

PIC_0013.jpg And then just put it all back together,...... PIC_0014.jpg

But not before dropping the little screw holding the connection together into the grass,...

And yes I watched it fall,... I saw exactly where it landed,.....

But could I find it!??

No!

Its with all the other lost screws and nuts etc,.... in an alternate dimension laughing at me!

But as you see, I got another screw and put it all together,...

I have 24.3 volts there. (Deuce has been sitting for 2 weeks)

PIC_0015.jpg

I still cannot hear or feel the lift pump running.

Will crack open the bleed port on top of the filter later and see if it is in fact running.

But for now, cup O tea!

And at least I know I can access that fuse in future if I need to.

Aussie.

rustystud

G'day everyone,....

Well I have just finished doing a little job I have been wanting to do for a while.

I finally managed to get to the lift pump fuse, I managed to get that cover off without breaking anything.

Last couple of attempts it was always stuck on the front and I could not get it to break free.

Well today I did it!

View attachment 782872

View attachment 782871

View attachment 782869

I got the fuse out intact but when I cleaned the ends to make sure there would be clean contacts the end just fell off.

View attachment 782870

So I got some new fuses.

View attachment 782868

And made a new gasket from a sheet of rubber matting I keep for just this sort of thing.

View attachment 782867 And then just put it all back together,...... View attachment 782866

But not before dropping the little screw holding the connection together into the grass,...

But could I find it!??

No!

Its with all the other lost screws and nuts etc,.... in an alternate dimension laughing at me!

View attachment 782865

Will crack open the bleed port on top of the filter later and see if it is in fact running.

But for now, cup O tea!

Aussie.
One thing I would do is to totally clean or better yet sandblast the housing, (inside and out) then paint it with a good aluminum primer paint and gloss enamel later. This will protect the metal from corroding in the future. Also put some "NO-OXIDE" paste on the contacts. I did that with mine and have had no problems for years now.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Now I have it free and can get it off with ease from now on I can do just that but I have to put my Deuce back into storage tomorrow afternoon as sadly I go back to work this coming Monday,....

:sad:

That and I can do a better job and make a better gasket.

Good advice with the primer etc,...

Now I have another job!

;)

Aussie.

Another Ahab

One thing I would do is to totally clean or better yet sandblast the housing, (inside and out) then paint it with a good aluminum primer paint and gloss enamel later.
rustystud, you are an encyclopedia of wisdom, I love that about you:

- I never even heard of aluminum primer (or thought to look for it), is it common to find?

Just used for covering ferrous metal, is that it?

Nomad1

Is that the same place losted socks and gloves go??
G'day everyone,....

Well today I did it!

View attachment 782872

View attachment 782871

View attachment 782869

View attachment 782870

So I got some new fuses.

View attachment 782868

View attachment 782867 And then just put it all back together,...... View attachment 782866

But could I find it!??

No!

View attachment 782865

But for now, cup O tea!

Aussie.

Nomad1

so your running generator not a alternator?

Privatewrench

Restored a hard top for my Deuce. It had a lot of holes and warping, but it's all intact, windows too. Patched a ton of holes...maybe a re-skin would have been a better option. I had some Dynomat left over from a street rod project, so I covered the inside skin with that. I did the back and the top with it. Then I layered the inside with some inexpensive sleeping mat closed foam material. Should be a little quieter than the soft top.
Top 3.jpg
I didn't feel like drilling holes above my windows to secure the front with bolts, plus it seems like that would be hard to screw down, so I fabbed up a couple J-Bolt and eyelet hinges I use for iron gates. There was a back facing hole above both of my wiper motors, so I used those to secure it down.
Top 2.jpg
After paint, the inside came out great. The outside isn't new looking, but neither is the truck, so I guess it fits in well with it.
Top 1.jpg

rustystud

- I never even heard of aluminum primer (or thought to look for it), is it common to find?

Thanks "Ahab" . Yes, the aluminum primer is for "non-ferrous metal". You can get the paint at almost any hardware store. I buy mine from "Home Depot" . It has a "self etching" acid in the formula so it can bond with the smooth non- ferrous surface. It actually works well on any metal surface but it is more expensive then regular primers. Then after the aluminum is primed you paint a good quality "Gloss" enamel paint over that. The Gloss is important since seals the surface. A "flat" paint allows water and other containments to get through to the primer surface, which is also more "porous" then gloss paint. So you end up with rust under your painted item. I always prime then gloss paint, then go over it again with a flat OD green or camo color for my military projects.

Last edited:

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Well in preparation to put the old girl away for a little while I decided I'll take the canvas cover and bows off.

PIC_0016.jpg PIC_0017.jpg

Then had to fold the cover,....

PIC_0018.jpg PIC_0019.jpg PIC_0020.jpg PIC_0021.jpg PIC_0022.jpg PIC_0023.jpg

We had just cut the grass so had to sweep the debris off as we folded, then take it up to the workshop to pack it away.

Aussie.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

So...you don't just stuff it in a garbage bag?

Ughhhhh,.... garbage bag!! Blasphemy!

No I keep my canvas open so its aired out and dose'nt get mould etc on it like you can in plastic garbage bags.

Condensation is your enemy.

You can see I have the heavy canvas cover and I'll look after it as I intend to hand it on to the next custodian.

What condition is your cover in?

If your just going to give it away, keep me in mind.

Aussie.

WhoMe08721

Final got a lot checked off the list of thing to do in the last two days. Got the air lockers all done, the right way. Replace all the door seals and window seals and Raptor Bed Liner Inside The Doors while I was in there. I got the New Fuel Pressure Gauge installed and installed new shifter boots too.

New Shifter Boots.jpgNew Shifter Boots 2.jpgAir Locker Hose.jpgAir Locker Hose T For Rear Axles.jpgAir Locker Hose On Fire Wall & New Fuel Pressure Gauge.jpgNew Switch 2.jpgNew Switch in Dash.jpgNew Switch.jpgRaptor Bed Liner Inside The Doors.jpg

davidb56

@ Who...excellent work and $$$$. Did you do Both rear axles? Do you hang out in the mountains and snow? I could use a set up like that, but Im building another house, and got to do one more when I finish this one.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Thanks "Ahab" . Yes, the aluminum primer is for "ferrous metal". You can get the paint at almost any hardware store. I buy mine from "Home Depot" . It has a "self etching" acid in the formula so it can bond with the smooth ferrous surface. It actually works well on any metal surface but it is more expensive then regular primers. Then after the aluminum is primed you paint a good quality "Gloss" enamel paint over that. The Gloss is important since seals the surface. A "flat" paint allows water and other containments to get through to the primer surface, which is also more "porous" then gloss paint. So you end up with rust under your painted item. I always prime then gloss paint, then go over it again with a flat OD green or camo color for my military projects.
FYI, non-ferrous.

Typically no iron content in aluminum, except contamination...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks