• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
IMG_1766.jpg
Successful day! Aligned my front end, installed the winch driveshaft and rewound the cable, got my buddies in tank pump going and pulled his master on his trail truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Iron Maiden

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One little project that was accomplished this week was replacing the rotten chain covers on my tailgate. A family member made some replacements out of canvas and waterproofed them with wax.

First picture is the before, second is the new chain cover, and third is the new chain cover on the tailgate

Attachments

fleetmech

Drained the ND 30 out of my trans, since that experiment failed and refilled with 90wt gear oil. The ND30 made a minor improvement in the cold weather and the first few shifts of the day, but then it would get markedly worse. Interestingly, as things, and the weather, got warmer it would begin to stick in gear and require more force to push into neutral to catch the next cog.

Concerningly, as I drained the oil it came out full of aeration top to bottom. I only moved the truck into the shop, a run time of about 3-4 minutes total and a distance of maybe 150 feet. The oil came out so foamy i thought for a moment that it was full of water. Nearly an hour later the oil was still giving up tiny bubbles, visible in the bucket especially with a flashlight. I can only imagine how poor the lubrication was with that much air in the oil, and with the oil holding it for so long. Practically all modern oils have anti-foaming/ anti- entrapment agents that allow the air out very quickly. Certainly in a lifetime of playing with machines I've never seen a fluid perform that poorly.

I hope to take it for a good run this week, we'll see how it goes.

Dipstick

Wow! I use Supertech API GL-5 80W-90 in my transmission and axles. I think Auto Zone sells it. I never have those problems. Still, there is much science in the lubrication of gears. Much of it has to do with the friction or slipperiness coefficient of the oil. Believe it or not too slippery is not always good for smooth shifting. Especially where synchronizers are concerned. Syncros need some friction in the oil. Can't speak to the foaming from experience. I do notice that after my Deuce is hot the shift quality gets a bit more notchy for want of a better term. I sometimes double clutch upshifts and always downshifts. It really helps for smooth shifts. It could be because my transmission is 36 years old. I guess the obvious thing to do is to find a better oil. Cattlerepairman, Frank, and Mullaney are way smarter than I am and I bet they could help with information.

Dipstick

Check that. I got the oil a Walmart. There are plenty of threads concerning lubrication on Steel Soldiers. Try to check them out. Or, start your own thread. That would get you plenty of informative comments. The guys may not read "What did you do with your Deuce today" all of the time.

TheQuaker

Blew up my alternator...

On a maintenance run Saturday afternoon and suddenly had white, acrid electrical smoke fill the cab and the air behind my Deuce. A glance at the gauges showed everything still in the green except the voltmeter showed an issue. I assumed I had an electrical fire somewhere.

I pulled off to the shoulder, shut her down quick and jumped out with my extinguisher in hand ready to knock down a fire but everything appeared normal. No more smoke, smell or anything.

Deduced the cause of the problem road-side. I fried the ring terminal at the alternator output...black ash was all that was was left. I assumed regulator failure.

IMG_6161.JPG

Otherwise things looked OK so I fired her back up and she ran perfect the 15 miles back to the farm on battery power for lights and signals.

I put a meter on the alternator and it is putting out 120 volts! Not exactly compatible with a 24v system.

Luckily, the ring terminal sacrificed itself before any damage was done to the other electrical components. Batteries, starter, fuel pump, gauges, lights still working and all check out OK. Whew!

Alternator showed no signs of going bad prior to Saturday. Voltmeter was always in the green, batteries charging properly, etc.

Replacement alternator on-order.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Drained the ND 30 out of my trans, since that experiment failed and refilled with 90wt gear oil. The ND30 made a minor improvement in the cold weather and the first few shifts of the day, but then it would get markedly worse. Interestingly, as things, and the weather, got warmer it would begin to stick in gear and require more force to push into neutral to catch the next cog.

Concerningly, as I drained the oil it came out full of aeration top to bottom. I only moved the truck into the shop, a run time of about 3-4 minutes total and a distance of maybe 150 feet. The oil came out so foamy i thought for a moment that it was full of water. Nearly an hour later the oil was still giving up tiny bubbles, visible in the bucket especially with a flashlight. I can only imagine how poor the lubrication was with that much air in the oil, and with the oil holding it for so long. Practically all modern oils have anti-foaming/ anti- entrapment agents that allow the air out very quickly. Certainly in a lifetime of playing with machines I've never seen a fluid perform that poorly.

I hope to take it for a good run this week, we'll see how it goes.
Pull the tunnel plates and clear the vents for the transmission and do the lube PM's while in there. Time to re-torque the jack shaft bolts to. It is in the TM's
There is the grease points mostly overlooked too.
Transmission lubricating oil is easy to change, drain it all and use new squish seal washers on the drains and fill ports. Refill with whatever you think is best, and drive it. You don't like how she shifts then try some other flavor lube. The vents are important.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
Changed my steering box oil, wasn’t too dirty but it appears some rusty immulsion was present,

I still need to reach 1000 YouTube subscribers, if you haven’t yet please help a fella out by hitting that subscribe button!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Slate, here is the bag mount on top of the spring. It worked well with the square U bolts.

Second photo is gooseneck ball, in frame, mount.

Attachments

Last edited:

DavidWymore

Too hot to drive much in the summer, the M50 and the dropside are projects. The ‘70 (5” stack) is my driver. Went and started them all up early to circulate their fluids this morning before it got hot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks