• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

92ramaro

Hi 92ramaro,

Is that Triangle Dolly something that you built? It definitely seems like a mighty fine way to roll an axle from under the truck with the wheels off. I kept looking at it - and finally came to the conclusion that the size of the triangle is the trick to keeping the assembly stable. Enough weight that it doesn't want to "walk" on the dolly. Perfect for a concrete floor.

Unfortunately, my version of doing that sort of work is in the yard on the grass - so wheels won't quite work out there. Plywood is wonderful but only to a point. :-(

You definitely have a really COOL tool for your garage!
I cant take credit for building it. Along with a ton of other useful things, it was in the barn when I bought the place.
It was the perfect height. Got one set of U-Bolts started before I jacked the other half up and did the same.
I spent a few years working in the grass/dirt before I went the primadonna route and bought a house with an insulated pole barn with it. Much credit is due to the guys working on these things in the dirt/grass.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dipstick

I cant take credit for building it. Along with a ton of other useful things, it was in the barn when I bought the place.
It was the perfect height. Got one set of U-Bolts started before I jacked the other half up and did the same.
I spent a few years working in the grass/dirt before I went the primadonna route and bought a house with an insulated pole barn with it. Much credit is due to the guys working on these things in the dirt/grass.

Not a primadonna at all. Pretty damn smart in my book!

Dipstick

Well Daisy is back on her feet again after a small delay. Not having brakes for now meant that I didnt do much more than a lap around the yard with the new locker. No difference in steering to report as of yet. Need to buy and run some new brake line for the front axle, do a fluid/bearing check on all of the drivetrain south of the engine/front axle, and repair some cosmetic damage from the Haspin Rally before we're good to go for this firewood season.View attachment 814758

Daisy looks bad ass with that winch on the front! Glad you're rolling again.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 5 cents on the cab cover:
Before you put the cab cover back on, use a large screwdriver to clean and gently widen the channel/track that the cover runs in. Spray the channel with silicone spray.
Flip the cab cover upside down on the hood (i.e. inside facing upwards). Insert the plastic strip of the cab cover, starting on the driver's side (no exhaust stack in the way!). Use the palm of your hand or even a rubber mallet to gently motivate the plastic strip to keep on sliding by tapping the plastic strip from the driver's side in line with the channel. You can tug and pull on the cover but don't go Hulk on it and tear all the stitiching.

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,....

Got my Deuce out today after its been waiting for me to take it out to play for about a year.

My how time fly's,...

Anyway, I took it to a work facility to collect some storage racks.

Used the fork to load,...

Got it loaded, but it took about an hour because so many people wanted to know about the Deuce, and take pictures of it.

Aaaaaaand home, and the load is still there!

Will go get another couple in a few days.

Deuce started in less than a full revolution and ran flawless all day.

Aussie.

Dipstick

I took care of a problem that has been bugging me for a long time. I replaced my failure prone axle vents with 1/8" NPT brass hose barbs, 1/4" fuel line, and 1/4" soft copper tubing. I routed the rear hose to the frame, the front hose to the side of the heater box. I giant puff of air and non-condensable vapors erupted from the front axle's orifice as I removed the offending article. I promptly marched both vents with malicious intent to the garbage can where they belong. They have resulted inRear Vent Hose at Frame.jpgFront Vent Hose at Heater Box.jpgRear Vent Hose.jpgRear Vent Hose.jpg axle leaks in the past.

92ramaro

Well after replacing quite a bit more brake line than originally planned and doing more inspecting, we're on the road again. Did a small 15 mile trust building back road run with the new differential locker in the front. Happy to report absolutely normal handling with the transfer disengaged.

For curiosity's sake I engaged the transfer case before making a left turn from a stop sign (on dirt) and promptly ripped the steering wheel out of my own hands with a little bit of throttle halfway through the turn. Quite angrily.
Will post off-road results once I get back out in the woods.20201015_180721.jpg

Dipstick

Well after replacing quite a bit more brake line than originally planned and doing more inspecting, we're on the road again. Did a small 15 mile trust building back road run with the new differential locker in the front. Happy to report absolutely normal handling with the transfer disengaged.

For curiosity's sake I engaged the transfer case before making a left turn from a stop sign (on dirt) and promptly ripped the steering wheel out of my own hands with a little bit of throttle halfway through the turn. Quite angrily.
Will post off-road results once I get back out in the woods.View attachment 815534

Wow! Having the wheel ripped out of your hands must have been a shock! I'm glad you were on dirt and going slowly. One thing I was taught years ago, to never have your thumbs gripping the wheel on a big truck. I know it's kind of hard not to in some instances, but I've heard stories of people breaking their thumbs that way. Be careful!

fleetmech

Started in re-sealing my rear hubs today, one stated to weep the last time I drove it. With absolutely nothing sealing the keyway, I'm not sure how it hasn't been leaking for the last 10 years or more but its been dry and running cool. I say 10, since I know the previous owner never had them apart.

Im finding out I need a bigger impact gun...

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Started in re-sealing my rear hubs today, one stated to weep the last time I drove it. With absolutely nothing sealing the keyway, I'm not sure how it hasn't been leaking for the last 10 years or more but its been dry and running cool. I say 10, since I know the previous owner never had them apart.

Im finding out I need a bigger impact gun...
Hi fleetmech ,

It might be worth looking at some of the newer brushless cordless impact wrenches. There are a couple of threads on here discussing the benefits.

DeWalt and Milwaukee seem to be at the front of the pack. They come in half inch and three quarter drive. Even saw mention of a ONE INCH drive. I haven't made the leap yet but my quarter inch Milwaukee saves me time on every job I do. I have a couple of them and lots of extra batteries because the drill I have uses the same battery and charger. Have never even come close to running out of juice on a project...

fleetmech

Hi fleetmech ,

It might be worth looking at some of the newer brushless cordless impact wrenches. There are a couple of threads on here discussing the benefits.

DeWalt and Milwaukee seem to be at the front of the pack. They come in half inch and three quarter drive. Even saw mention of a ONE INCH drive. I haven't made the leap yet but my quarter inch Milwaukee saves me time on every job I do. I have a couple of them and lots of extra batteries because the drill I have uses the same battery and charger. Have never even come close to running out of juice on a project...
Thanks for the thread link, Ill check it out. One of my crew is a big Milwaukee guy and swears by their impacts. We have DeWalt tools on site, and they do the job, but not always as well as they should. I'd kinda like to go air so I can keep it with the truck and run it off the onboard if need be, but I'm not sure yet. Frankly, it would be helpful if more impacts in general had full torque in both directions to take off the reverse thread stuff easier.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks for the thread link, Ill check it out. One of my crew is a big Milwaukee guy and swears by their impacts. We have DeWalt tools on site, and they do the job, but not always as well as they should. I'd kinda like to go air so I can keep it with the truck and run it off the onboard if need be, but I'm not sure yet. Frankly, it would be helpful if more impacts in general had full torque in both directions to take off the reverse thread stuff easier.
Agreed. Air is great in the shop, but if it takes a bit of "hammering" to get something loose those tiny air tanks are just not enough. I haven't done the reading to find the CFM output on Deuce and 5-Ton air compressors, but most air half inch and a few three quarter impact guns seem to be rated at about 7 to 10 CFM @ 90psi. It won't take much to be out of air and waiting on the truck to build it back up. My one inch Ingersol Rand calls for 17cfm. The big three phase screw compressor at work can handle that.

I can say that the absolute best lug nut accessory is a 3# hammer (hand drilling hammer). That short handle is easy to manage. It allows you to pound the snot out of the socket as you start to loosen the lug nut on something that is particularly ornery.

Several of the guys on here have added an extra tank or two under their trucks to allow air tools to operate more efficiently. Having a ball valve to turn those tanks off cuts down on start up (air up time). Even airing up a couple of big tires can eat up the available reserve in the tanks.

Dipstick

Wrench 1.jpgWrench 2.jpgWrench 3.jpg
I bought this torque multiplying lug nut tool a long time ago. It develops up to 4,500 ft-lbs of torque. It works in both directions. It's 1" drive and weighs about 15 lbs. It comes with impact sockets that fit a Deuce. I think I bought the pork chop separately, but I don't remember. It took off my Deuce lug nuts with ease. Seriously, when turning the crank on a lug nut, well I've had a harder time opening a can of soup. Anyway, I didn't have to spring for a bigger air compressor I can't afford and I don't have to carry air hose (although I do). It fits in Brutus' tool box along with my 12 ton bottle jack. Once you break the nut free it's faster to turn it off the rest of the way by hand, so it looses a little to an impact wrench that way. But other than that it's a breeze to use.

HN6

I use a makita 1/2'' battery. 1100 ft lbs of breakout on high. has 3 settings. very impressive.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 815770View attachment 815771View attachment 815772
I bought this torque multiplying lug nut tool a long time ago. It develops up to 4,500 ft-lbs of torque. It works in both directions. It's 1" drive and weighs about 15 lbs. It comes with impact sockets that fit a Deuce. I think I bought the pork chop separately, but I don't remember. It took off my Deuce lug nuts with ease. Seriously, when turning the crank on a lug nut, well I've had a harder time opening a can of soup. Anyway, I didn't have to spring for a bigger air compressor I can't afford and I don't have to carry air hose (although I do). It fits in Brutus' tool box along with my 12 ton bottle jack. Once you break the nut free it's faster to turn it off the rest of the way by hand, so it looses a little to an impact wrench that way. But other than that it's a breeze to use.
I keep that exact set in my truck also. I agree on how easy it is to break them free, and I don’t have to worry about running out of air or dead batteries on a cordless impact on the side of the road. Although I use a cordless impact at the house.

Dipstick

This is a link for the cheater wrench on you tube if anyone is interested. This is the first time I've posted a link, so I hope I did it right! I just tried to schedule Brutus for his annual inspection at Diesel Express. They couldn't do it because they have no inspection stickers due to the Covid backup.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks