• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

@Dipstick You got that right! Since the battery box with two batteries weighs a gazillion pounds, the risk of you "accidentally" sliding it out so far that it falls off the truck is nil (based on experience, sample of 1). I did not bother with the part. Mine does not have it installed (and I see where the holes are for it) and when I really need the box out, I can just pull it out. No need to un-do bolts.
Thanks cattlerepairman! You know I just might put it on. I'd just have to lift the battery box up a half inch while pulling to get it all the way out. I'm plenty strong enough to do that. I really liked that picture of you behind the wheel of the Queen! It personalizes things. I didn't realize the Queen was singled on the rears.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I need to lift the box up a bit, too. That is why I am not worried to accidentally drop it. Yes, Lola is singled in the rear with military surplus Goodyear G286. They are a road tread but ok off road as long as the ground is hard. On soft ground or mud....gone, baby, gone....
Glad you liked the topless pic!

Dipstick

Yes, I need to lift the box up a bit, too. That is why I am not worried to accidentally drop it. Yes, Lola is singled in the rear with military surplus Goodyear G286. They are a road tread but ok off road as long as the ground is hard. On soft ground or mud....gone, baby, gone....
Glad you liked the topless pic!
I love topless pics. Bottomless too. Only women need apply though! I have Firestone T-831s and they have gnarly treads. Great in snow and the one time I drove him up a dirt hill it was no problemo. He climbed a foot high concrete curb once. Again no problem.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Tracer ,

Be sure to take some pictures of the interior of your S-250. I was pretty sure that I could get my S-141 ready for Denton but I have just about decided that it isn't going to be ready in time. I could slap something together - but if I do it right - the first time, I might be able to do it one time.

Any and all ideas would be appreciated!!

Tim
DSCF2741.JPG DSCF2762.JPG DSCF2763.JPG DSCF2764.JPG DSCF2765.JPG DSCF2766.JPG Tim, here ya go. This may not be in assembly order, but you can figure it out. The top pieces of plywood sheet are screwed together, then screwed to the 2 stands. I didn't run any screws into the shelter structure. More pictures to come

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tim, I got the foam GI sleeping bag mats on e-bay and stapled them to the plywood. They come in a roll, and I used 9/16 size staples to hold them in place. DSCF2777.JPGDSCF2817.JPGDSCF2818.JPG

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DSCF2847.JPG DSCF2848.JPG Tim, this is our light system. You can get these lights from Harbor Freight for $3.99 ea. They have Velcro backing so you can hang them anywhere. They are powered by 4 AAA batteries and will last for up to 1 hour on the standard batteries. Use Ever Ready or Duracell and they will last longer. Great if you have no power or genset at your campsite.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my no-start issue fixed, new solenoid, wiring, group 31 batteries have new cables, starter has been rebuilt & everything works as it should...

Attachments

Dipstick

Got my no-start issue fixed, new solenoid, wiring, group 31 batteries have new cables, starter has been rebuilt & everything works as it should...
A very thorough job! Isn't it great to know your Deuce will start every time! Thank you for the post and the great set of pictures. I'm having battery/starting issues right now that I'm working on. I've been down the wiring, starter, solenoid road myself, so I can well appreciate your accomplishment!

Dipstick

Portable Lighting.jpg
Tracer, I was struck by the fact that your mini-lights last one hour. I have two of these L.L. Bean battery lanterns and they last at least 4 or 5 hours and just one would easily light your shelter. They use 3 "D" batteries. The on-off rotary switch also adjusts the brightness. They are fairly rugged. They are portable and would provide excellent lighting for after-dark Deuce repairs or anything else. They would be more expensive and are larger, but their versatility might make them a worthwhile choice for you. Just a thought. Oh, did I mention they're green?

Dipstick

Went to replace my knuckle boots and found my driver side outer wheel bearing was all rustedo_O . The others were all good.
Wow! That's pretty odd. Was the drive flange/cap missing it's gasket? Is there any other way that water could get in there? Glad the others were okay and that you found it. Nice work!

jasonjc

Wow jasonjc ,

Most of us replace the boots with the axle still attached to the truck...
What you have there sure is a lot easier than standing under the fender!

Well I don't have fenders on it either so..:LOL:. Am planning to do some clean up and repainting so I'm taking it apart.

Attachments

Dipstick

Well I don't have fenders on it either so..:LOL:. Am planning to do some clean up and repainting so I'm taking it apart.
Jasonjc......You have a serious workshop there. It looks to me (judging by the steering knuckle etc.) that you have a sand blaster or at least access to one. Some hefty jack stands for sure. As a driveway mechanic myself I am really impressed. You're really doing it right!

jasonjc

Jasonjc......You have a serious workshop there. It looks to me (judging by the steering knuckle etc.) that you have a sand blaster or at least access to one. Some hefty jack stands for sure. As a driveway mechanic myself I am really impressed. You're really doing it right!
Thanks
Yep I've got a HF tool blast cabinet and I borrowed the jack stands from work. Just need more space.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 831200
Tracer, I was struck by the fact that your mini-lights last one hour. I have two of these L.L. Bean battery lanterns and they last at least 4 or 5 hours and just one would easily light your shelter. They use 3 "D" batteries. The on-off rotary switch also adjusts the brightness. They are fairly rugged. They are portable and would provide excellent lighting for after-dark Deuce repairs or anything else. They would be more expensive and are larger, but their versatility might make them a worthwhile choice for you. Just a thought. Oh, did I mention they're green?
Dipstick, we have a light similar to yours but slightly smaller. Inside the shelter, space is limited, especially headspace. So we went with these wall mounted lights so my CO doesn't hit her head on the light, or knock the light over with her feet. We have several of these lights and if they run low on power you simply pull the light off the wall and stick another one up. I have some Eveready batteries, and will pick up some Duracell AAA batteries to replace the Chinese batteries that come in the light, they should double the use time. I think your light would be perfect for an evening outdoors come Miller and Tri-Tip time. 🍺

Last edited:

Dipstick

Battery Box Fab 1.jpgBattery Box Fab 2.jpg
I began fabbing my new plastic battery box support today. I cut all of the metal to size and laid it all out. I bent one drill bit and broke off another in the mild steel. Brand new Dewalt drill bits. Pathetic. Suitable only for sheetrock or wood. My plan was to bolt it together first and decide if I want to weld it later. It all went well except for the drill bits. Otherwise it would have been done. Oh well, I guess I'll get new bits tomorrow.

Dipstick

Dipstick, we have a light similar to yours but slightly smaller. Inside the shelter, space is limited, especially headspace. So we went with these wall mounted lights so my CO doesn't hit her head on the light, or knock the light over with her feet. We have several of these lights and if they run low on power you simply pull the light off the wall and stick another one up. I have some Eveready batteries, and will pick up some Duracell AAA batteries to replace the Chinese batteries that come in the light, they should double the use time. I think your light would be perfect for the evening outdoors come Miller and Tri-Tip time. 🍺
Okay Tracer. I thought you and your C.O. might consider one as an option. I realize from your pics that headroom is limited. It would be perfect for Miller Time!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks