• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

ldmack3, in your picture four right behind the rear spring mount is the boxed in area, that from the outside of my Deuce, looks worse than yours. I see bondoed mesh on mine. I can hardly wait to see what's behind it. Not. Again, thanks for all the info and pics. It's invaluable to me.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
ldmack3, in your picture four right behind the rear spring mount is the boxed in area, that from the outside of my Deuce, looks worse than yours. I see bondoed mesh on mine. I can hardly wait to see what's behind it. Not. Again, thanks for all the info and pics. It's invaluable to me.

Attachments

Dipstick

Battery Support Finished Front.jpgBattery Support Finished Rear.jpgBattery Box SS Fittings.jpg
I finished the battery support today. I could put it in Brutus tomorrow ( the frame brackets are already drilled ), but I want to clean up and paint the brackets and under the cab first. On the rear of the frame is my adjustable battery box retainer. I used all stainless bolts with locknuts and fender washers to prevent pull-through when pulling out the heavy battery box. I think the box will slide much easier than it would with the stock support, because of the middle flat I added. It's the best welding I've ever done, which really boosts my welding confidence. I can't wait to put the batteries in and get Brutus running!

Sparkyz911

Also battery related....replaced the group 31 batteries that were in my deuce when I bought it in 2016. Interstate econo powers. Probably would have made it one more year had I ran the truck more over the winter. 12.5v on bat 1, 11.25 on bat 2, and that's after charging overnight. Put o'Reilly super start brand 31s in.

Dipstick

Also battery related....replaced the group 31 batteries that were in my deuce when I bought it in 2016. Interstate econo powers. Probably would have made it one more year had I ran the truck more over the winter. 12.5v on bat 1, 11.25 on bat 2, and that's after charging overnight. Put o'Reilly super start brand 31s in.
Thanks! It's good to know there are other batteries out there that will work just in case NAPA stops carrying 6TLs some day.

Sparkyz911

With 3 cores I was still out 275.....Be sure to get the red label ones not the blue label marine ones. I've read that econo powers are like 40-50 each but couldn't source them in my AO.

fleetmech

Ive had some trouble with Optima, ever since they got bought out a number of years ago. We had put them in a couple of backup generators with long storage times and tight enclosures but they failed in less that 2 years, so we junked them and went back to off the shelf Napa's. The old optimas were great, those things lasted forever.

Dipstick

Per your request. In process of going 34052 Green.
I like it! I don't know what 34052 green looks like. Brutus is O.D. green. It's easy paint to get. My truck had a black frame originally. The body may have been painted desert tan. I'm not sure. It's interesting that you fuel tank is on the driver's side. That's where my spare tire is. My tank and batteries are on the passenger side.
Thank you for the picture!

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Dipstick

Mine was desert tan, then yellow. That's a 2nd tank. Spare is in the back and it has a crane to unload/load it.

Sorry 24052
24052 USMC Semi-Gloss One Gallon – Quarter Ton & Military – Paint Gallons (quartertonparts.com)

Better shipping price at Rapco. I bought 4 gallons and 12 spray cans.
You're doing the paint already? Gee, I didn't think you were done with the rockers yet. The Marine paint scheme looks sharp. I find the Rapco spray paint to be non-adhering, soft, rough and porous. I don't think it hinders rust at all. So I'm experimenting with a new combination. First I use Ace Rust Stop gray primer, which seems to bond well to bare metal and dries in 30 minutes. Secondly, I use Rapco O.D. green for color. Then finally, I hit it with Rustoleum clear matte finish, which is supposed to function as a sealer. It seems to force the Rapco paint (which takes forever to dry) to dry. We'll see over time how this paint method holds up to the rain and salt up here. I use all rattle cans. I guess you're using your compressor and a sprayer. A better way to do it.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use the spray for small parts and for touch up. Since I've got time, I'm letting the paint dray a long time. I use Rustoleum on the bare metal and scuff/sand the existing if its solid. Someone painted a lot in black and that comes off with the pressure washer. I've communicated with the Gillespie Coatings rep and he said it's imperative to let the primer dry completely or it will take a while. I'm painting all that I can. Haven't touched the cab and fenders. Did the bumper and winch with a brush mostly. I like the idea of the clear coat but I've got enough projects!

cbrTodd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I took my deuce on its first trip out of hibernation this year, I was rewarded with brakes locking up on my way back home. So after inspecting things, I found out that my master cylinder had rusty sludge in it and likely that had plugged up the compensating port in the master cylinder, causing my issues. So, this week I just finished up replacing the master cylinder with a new one (the old one had rust in the bore that wouldn't have honed out) and putting a rebuild kit in the air pack for good measure.

It's probably worth checking in that reservoir once in a while even if you have a remote reservoir like I do. I drained and refilled the entire brake system in this truck in late 2019 when I last repacked wheel bearings and checked wheel cylinders but this stuff must have been in there the whole time. I guess it's the fun of having an older truck!

20210423_213855.jpg
20210423_213848.jpg
20210415_202507.jpg

I got lucky and the air pack was in good shape inside other than a little sludge that had worked its way down from the master cylinder. All the bores were in great shape and the rebuild was easy. I got the rebuild kit from Big Mike's, and it had everything but the o-ring that goes between the two halves of the air piston. The gasket on the back of the air cylinder was a little wider than the original and needed some trimming around the 6 studs, but those are minor complaints.

Today's test drive was much less eventful!
20210423_213808.jpg

Dipstick

When I took my deuce on its first trip out of hibernation this year, I was rewarded with brakes locking up on my way back home. So after inspecting things, I found out that my master cylinder had rusty sludge in it and likely that had plugged up the compensating port in the master cylinder, causing my issues. So, this week I just finished up replacing the master cylinder with a new one (the old one had rust in the bore that wouldn't have honed out) and putting a rebuild kit in the air pack for good measure.

It's probably worth checking in that reservoir once in a while even if you have a remote reservoir like I do. I drained and refilled the entire brake system in this truck in late 2019 when I last repacked wheel bearings and checked wheel cylinders but this stuff must have been in there the whole time. I guess it's the fun of having an older truck!

View attachment 832432
View attachment 832433
View attachment 832434

I got lucky and the air pack was in good shape inside other than a little sludge that had worked its way down from the master cylinder. All the bores were in great shape and the rebuild was easy. I got the rebuild kit from Big Mike's, and it had everything but the o-ring that goes between the two halves of the air piston. The gasket on the back of the air cylinder was a little wider than the original and needed some trimming around the 6 studs, but those are minor complaints.

Today's test drive was much less eventful!
View attachment 832435
Don't you just love surprises! Great job on your repair and thank you for the pictures. I wonder what caused the sludge? Moisture? Are you using Dot 3 or Dot 5 brake fluid? Nice Deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks