• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

M.Ellis

I can only imagine how nerve wrecking that can be. Glad nothing bad happened and no one was hurt. Maybe a good idea to invest in a dual circuit brakes.
I agree. Thats the next huge project for me hopefully this winter/spring. Along with disc brakes. Figured I do it all in one shot. Expensive yes but I’ve been saving and you can’t put a price on safety. Just the benefit of disc is worth the cost. Better braking, no brake fade, better heat dissipation, self adjusting, no more wheel cylinders to deal with. It seems with the wheel cylinders you either get them where they last 10 years, or they last a year.

Dipstick

I can only imagine how nerve wrecking that can be. Glad nothing bad happened and no one was hurt. Maybe a good idea to invest in a dual circuit brakes.
Thanks Todd! I've looked into the dual brake thing on this very site and it is very involved to say the least. I'm now thinking that maybe one of my hoses or solid lines might have a crack in it. The axle boot, brake backing plate and engine were covered in Dot 5. I will have to pressurize it and test for it. I have 3 new brake hoses for the front. I already did the rear. I take safety very seriously. Not only my own but everyone else's too. 52 years and about 900,000 miles of driving everything including 18s and I've never had an accident. My only ticket (speeding) occurred 45 years ago.

Dipstick

I agree. Thats the next huge project for me hopefully this winter/spring. Along with disc brakes. Figured I do it all in one shot. Expensive yes but I’ve been saving and you can’t put a price on safety. Just the benefit of disc is worth the cost. Better braking, no brake fade, better heat dissipation, self adjusting, no more wheel cylinders to deal with. It seems with the wheel cylinders you either get them where they last 10 years, or they last a year.
I agree 100%. I'd like to know more about the disk brakes for Deuces.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Well, Brutus and I had a rough day last Friday. We were driving to Lowe's (about 14 miles from home) to pick up some landscaping blocks and decorative rock, when I again had a total hydraulic brake failure while stopping for a light. We got lucky again, because there was almost no traffic, I was on flat ground and I was already going slowly enough that I could get into second gear. Fortunately for us my rebuilt handbrake system worked flawlessly and I was able to find a long wide shoulder to pull off on. The right front wheel cylinder totally let go spraying Dot 5 all over the engine block, suspension, and tire. I had to have Brutus towed with a heavy wrecker. Luckily my best buddy was nearby and quickly showed up to help and drive me home. That's the second time in two years I've had a total brake failure. It's got me worried because I can't drive a 1/4 mile up here in the Poconos without encountering 3rd gear grades up and down. At the bottom of every steep decent seems to be a stop sign. Each and every drive is an adventure. Parts are on order, but I'm really beginning to question whether or not driving a heavy vehicle with a single line brake system is a good idea up here. I am seriously bummed out.
Glad nothing awful happened Owen... There are one or two hills up there where you are that could make for a really bad day! I am really curious to know what the wheel cylinders look like when you tear into that right front. Or if it was possibly the rubber line that feeds that cylinder maybe?

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, Brutus and I had a rough day last Friday. We were driving to Lowe's (about 14 miles from home) to pick up some landscaping blocks and decorative rock, when I again had a total hydraulic brake failure while stopping for a light. We got lucky again, because there was almost no traffic, I was on flat ground and I was already going slowly enough that I could get into second gear. Fortunately for us my rebuilt handbrake system worked flawlessly and I was able to find a long wide shoulder to pull off on. The right front wheel cylinder totally let go spraying Dot 5 all over the engine block, suspension, and tire. I had to have Brutus towed with a heavy wrecker. Luckily my best buddy was nearby and quickly showed up to help and drive me home. That's the second time in two years I've had a total brake failure. It's got me worried because I can't drive a 1/4 mile up here in the Poconos without encountering 3rd gear grades up and down. At the bottom of every steep decent seems to be a stop sign. Each and every drive is an adventure. Parts are on order, but I'm really beginning to question whether or not driving a heavy vehicle with a single line brake system is a good idea up here. I am seriously bummed out.
What was your last failure?

Dipstick

What was your last failure?
It was caused by a hard line which was exposed to the elements below the space between the cab and the bed. The line had corroded over 34 years and it finally blew out while I was stopping for a traffic light on a slight downgrade. Almost the same scenario except it was only 20 degrees outside, windy and snowing. It underscored the importance of having a well functioning handbrake to me. I had already completely redone mine.

Dipstick

That's scary. Mine is 51 years old. I did the axle lines and hoses but held off on the others to do a dual circuit next year. Did my front wheel cylinders also.
Good idea LD. Make sure your handbrake works really well too. Mine was surprisingly effective when I needed it the most. It was easy to modulate and seemed to be pretty powerful as well.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s a pretty cool charger😀. I also hooked up my 24V battery mender I slid the plug out beside the steering shaft to plug it in, but first I had to evict a squirrel he had started to store nuts in my battery box I removed a dozen hickory nuts. And put moth balls in their if that don’t work I’ll use a rubber snake.

The 🐀 things in AZ like mothballs. And peppermint. And please note that feline feces don't deter them in the slightest.

Real snakes are welcome, as they're far preferable to the rat 🐀 things.

The Badcat 🐈 caught one last time we were at the ranch and I had to rescue him from it. It was fighting back and attempting to shred him, while showing every indication of success.

Squirrels pack your truck with nuts. Rat 🐀 things pack your truck in a matrix of rat turds saturated with urine, with cactus spines interspersed to complicate removal.

I truly hate them.

Dipstick

Glad nothing awful happened Owen... There are one or two hills up there where you are that could make for a really bad day! I am really curious to know what the wheel cylinders look like when you tear into that right front. Or if it was possibly the rubber line that feeds that cylinder maybe?
Thanks Tim. I am definitely thinking flexible or solid line now. I will be sure to provide everyone with a complete report when I get it sorted out. I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to any of my fellow soldiers. I've been "lucky" twice now. That's two times too many. I was thinking. There's one hill I use to get out of my neighborhood that is 2nd gear going up for Brutus. We go up and down that all the time. It ends up at a T intersection where the drivers with the right of way are doing at least 50mph . I always have Brutus in 3rd and my foot on the brake going down that. Scary.

M.Ellis

Thanks Tim. I am definitely thinking flexible or solid line now. I will be sure to provide everyone with a complete report when I get it sorted out. I wouldn't want the same thing to happen to any of my fellow soldiers. I've been "lucky" twice now. That's two times too many. I was thinking. There's one hill I use to get out of my neighborhood that is 2nd gear going up for Brutus. We go up and down that all the time. It ends up at a T intersection where the drivers with the right of way are doing at least 50mph . I always have Brutus in 3rd and my foot on the brake going down that. Scary.
I have a hill like that on my way to work. 3rd gear and on the brake. I hate that hill

Dipstick

The 🐀 things in AZ like mothballs. And peppermint. And please note that feline feces don't deter them in the slightest.

The Badcat 🐈 caught one last time we were at the ranch and I had to rescue him from it. It was fighting back and attempting to shred him, while showing every indication of success.

Squirrels pack your truck with nuts. Rat 🐀 things pack your truck in a matrix of rat turds saturated with urine, with cactus spines interspersed to complicate removal.

I truly hate them.
Have you tried mothballs 98G. The scent not only keeps them away, but it will kill them if they eat it. I use it on snakes and tunneling animals up here. I throw them under my veranda (porch). They do smell very strongly though. They are also fatal to pets and humans. Forget it. Not a good idea with pets around.

Dipstick

I have a hill like that on my way to work. 3rd gear and on the brake. I hate that hill
Yeah, there's no way to avoid them M. Hills are all over the place up here. Plus, the roads are narrow and winding. The road shoulders are comprised of telephone poles, trees, and three foot deep open drainage culverts. Some concrete. Some rock. No room for error. I am always careful and alert when driving. Especially when driving Brutus. The main thing with a Deuce is to look WAY down the road ahead and plan for potential problems. Never tailgate in a Deuce or in any vehicle for that matter. I'm sure you know all this stuff. Just talking to myself.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, there's no way to avoid them M. Hills are all over the place up here. Plus, the roads are narrow and winding. The road shoulders are comprised of telephone poles, trees, and three foot deep open drainage culverts. Some concrete. Some rock. No room for error. I am always careful and alert when driving. Especially when driving Brutus. The main thing with a Deuce is to look WAY down the road ahead and plan for potential problems. Never tailgate in a Deuce or in any vehicle for that matter. I'm sure you know all this stuff. Just talking to myself.
It is amazing how at 18, there is only one speed: Wide Open all the time! Then in the late 20's I think we start to observe a little more around us and some start having families - and we start thinking about that "little you" sitting there depending on you. Into the later 30's you have either become a good driver or a complete 1d10t. Out into our 40's 50's and 60's - we actually think for the other drivers too...

There is no such thing as thinking too far ahead these days for sure!

Dipstick

I truly hate them.
Sorry 98G. I missed the part about the mothballs. Can't believe the rats can eat them and survive. Must be Terminator Rats!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
... The scent not only keeps them away, but it will kill them if they eat it.
[/QUOTE/]

This directly conflicts with my first hand experience. They incorporated them into the mix.. The rat 🐀 things out west are a different animal. (No pun intended.)

I completely agree with you that generally speaking poison of any kind is simply too indiscriminate to be used.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry 98G. I missed the part about the mothballs. Can't believe the rats can eat them and survive. Must be Terminator Rats!
I don't know that they ate them. But the mothballs certainly didn't deter an infestation.

The only thing that has been effective so far is having holes too small for them to enter (genset).

M.Ellis

when people ask me what it’s like driving the deuce I say exhausting. Then I have to go into the whole it’s not because it’s big and not a physical exhaustion. It’s all mentally for me. Constantly looking ahead, watching around me seeing that car on a side road and just waiting for them to pull out in front of me. Slowing down for the traffic lights ahead of time because I know as soon as I get closer it’s gonna change. (When I’m on the highway not in town) also people don’t know what yield means either. Like I can stop on a dime SMH.

Dipstick

when people ask me what it’s like driving the deuce I say exhausting. Then I have to go into the whole it’s not because it’s big and not a physical exhaustion. It’s all mentally for me. Constantly looking ahead, watching around me seeing that car on a side road and just waiting for them to pull out in front of me. Slowing down for the traffic lights ahead of time because I know as soon as I get closer it’s gonna change. (When I’m on the highway not in town) also people don’t know what yield means either. Like I can stop on a dime SMH.
EXACTLY!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks