• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
when people ask me what it’s like driving the deuce I say exhausting. Then I have to go into the whole it’s not because it’s big and not a physical exhaustion. It’s all mentally for me. Constantly looking ahead, watching around me seeing that car on a side road and just waiting for them to pull out in front of me. Slowing down for the traffic lights ahead of time because I know as soon as I get closer it’s gonna change. (When I’m on the highway not in town) also people don’t know what yield means either. Like I can stop on a dime SMH.
I describe it as "is like operating a motorcycle. You have to be 100% in the game at all times. Or you'll splatter someone."

ToddJK

It is amazing how at 18, there is only one speed: Wide Open all the time! Then in the late 20's I think we start to observe a little more around us and some start having families - and we start thinking about that "little you" sitting there depending on you. Into the later 30's you have either become a good driver or a complete 1d10t. Out into our 40's 50's and 60's - we actually think for the other drivers too...

There is no such thing as thinking too far ahead these days for sure!
You got that right! Luckily my parents had property when I was young so I learned to drive at the age of 9. My dad, uncles, and grandpa all taught me. One thing is for sure, being very observant and aware of other drivers is key while keeping speed appropriate for the conditions. Yeah the deuce is slow, but the slow speeds allow for time to observe. Funny thing is, when I drive my old lady's car or my pick up truck, I drive it just as slow as the deuce, lol. Almost as if the deuce and it's limitations teaches you to drive safer, but seems to carry over no matter what vehicle I'm driving. Though I still always feel safer in the deuce, especially with all the drunk drivers out there, I like being surrounded by all the iron but all that heavy iron can come at a cost.

Dipstick

You got that right! Luckily my parents had property when I was young so I learned to drive at the age of 9. My dad, uncles, and grandpa all taught me. One thing is for sure, being very observant and aware of other drivers is key while keeping speed appropriate for the conditions. Yeah the deuce is slow, but the slow speeds allow for time to observe. Funny thing is, when I drive my old lady's car or my pick up truck, I drive it just as slow as the deuce, lol. Almost as if the deuce and it's limitations teaches you to drive safer, but seems to carry over no matter what vehicle I'm driving. Though I still always feel safer in the deuce, especially with all the drunk drivers out there, I like being surrounded by all the iron but all that heavy iron can come at a cost.
I really haven't come across any drunk drivers, but I know there out there. I worry more about them when driving my Mustang GT. I've managed to keep it in really nice shape all these years and I dread someone smacking into it. I really love my GT! That's why I rely on Brutus so heavily. My GT never sees snow and rarely rain. Yeah, heavy iron sure has been expensive for me!

ToddJK

I really haven't come across any drunk drivers, but I know there out there. I worry more about them when driving my Mustang GT. I've managed to keep it in really nice shape all these years and I dread someone smacking into it. I really love my GT! That's why I rely on Brutus so heavily. My GT never sees snow and rarely rain. Yeah, heavy iron sure has been expensive for me!
I don't blame ya! I love classics, especially the Mustangs. That said, I do live in MI, a state that prospers heavily off brewery shops and the like. Tons of party animals here, especially near any college or the big cities like Grand Rapids. Plus there are just a lot of idiots out there who tailgate, cut you off, pull out in front of you, road rage, ect. Since driving the deuce, that cuts down a lot, people seem to think twice when they see 5 tons+ of steel that looks just as mean as the Jeeper Creepers truck in the movies. If anything, I notice the young guys full of ego tend to show off with their diesel trucks and gun it or pass me dangerously close to oncoming traffic. What they don't realize is, if they cause an accident, I'm helping the other person first. May sound cruel, but the innocent deserves the help before the guilty do, at least that's how I see it in that case. In cases where it's just an accident and it's no ones fault or coming on to the scene after it's happened, then I'll do what I can for both parties until authorities get on the scene. I carry an extension medkit in the truck for that very reason.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I don't blame ya! I love classics, especially the Mustangs. That said, I do live in MI, a state that prospers heavily off brewery shops and the like. Tons of party animals here, especially near any college or the big cities like Grand Rapids. Plus there are just a lot of idiots out there who tailgate, cut you off, pull out in front of you, road rage, ect. Since driving the deuce, that cuts down a lot, people seem to think twice when they see 5 tons+ of steel that looks just as mean as the Jeeper Creepers truck in the movies. If anything, I notice the young guys full of ego tend to show off with their diesel trucks and gun it or pass me dangerously close to oncoming traffic. What they don't realize is, if they cause an accident, I'm helping the other person first. May sound cruel, but the innocent deserves the help before the guilty do, at least that's how I see it in that case. In cases where it's just an accident and it's no ones fault or coming on to the scene after it's happened, then I'll do what I can for both parties until authorities get on the scene. I carry an extension medkit in the truck for that very reason.
Good Plan and I agree.
Stupidity needs to come with a cost associated with it.
A med bag is a requirement. Everybody should have one and at least the basic lifesaving skills.

Dipstick

Good Plan and I agree.
Stupidity needs to come with a cost associated with it.
A med bag is a requirement. Everybody should have one and at least the basic lifesaving skills.
Tim, ToddJK made a lot of good points in his post. How about all of the cars and trucks that have infotainment systems? How about people talking on the phone or texting while driving? How about young guys playing music in their cars so loud, that you can hear it inside your home even when they have their windows rolled up! When I'm driving..........I'm driving. I try always to pay total attention to what I'm doing behind the wheel. Think about how much information your brain has to process every second you're driving to stay safe. People don't need any additional distractions while driving.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Tim, ToddJK made a lot of good points in his post. How about all of the cars and trucks that have infotainment systems? How about people talking on the phone or texting while driving? How about young guys playing music in their cars so loud, that you can hear it inside your home even when they have their windows rolled up! When I'm driving..........I'm driving. I try always to pay total attention to what I'm doing behind the wheel. Think about how much information your brain has to process every second you're driving to stay safe. People don't need any additional distractions while driving.
Owen, you are dead right! Music seems the least invasive - but even that isn't good with these old trucks IMO. Hearing what is going on in front and behind you - meaning motor and gearboxes - and being alert to emergency vehicles are important. These "ear buds" that people use are just another distraction too.

Seems to me that the cell phone companies could instantly stop texting while driving. These phones today have the ability to track themselves. They know where they are and at what speed they are moving. Seems simple enough that any speed over 5mph (or pick your number) should disable the texting feature until the vehicle stops. Problem is that the ACLU is going to complain that is too invasive on civil liberties.

Dipstick

Tim, the few friends that I have know, that if they can't reach me on the phone, I'm driving. When I'm driving I'm scanning the gauges, listening to the machinery, feeling the machinery and of course looking out at the road ahead with a 360 perspective. Driving is serious business.

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They can't tell if you are driving or riding. Apps like WAZE ask you. But wish they could. I've seen so many ignoramuses holding the phone in their lap texting. If you must text while driving at least hold it up in your roadway line of vision. At least with music you can watch the road and listen at the same time. Well..some people can anyway.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They can't tell if you are driving or riding. Apps like WAZE ask you. But wish they could. I've seen so many ignoramuses holding the phone in their lap texting. If you must text while driving at least hold it up in your roadway line of vision. At least with music you can watch the road and listen at the same time. Well..some people can anyway.
I'm with you ldmack3. Guess the decision has to be made - if texting is okay or not - then make the decision. The sad part is we all know somebody who can't walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. Are they smart enough? Maybe, maybe not. Try adding a car or truck and maybe add in a rowdy kid or a grumpy wife or husband - and even those things can be the same as a cell phone.

Wish there was a better way.

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Washed the M35A2 today, to be 57 years old she can really clean up well. Waiting on a fellow military hobbyist/mechanic to come pick her up & do some maintenance on the braking system...

Attachments

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100_0118.JPG I finally decided to replace the Fuel Gauge Sending Unit on the Deuce. If the fuel gauge gets a little below FULL the needle starts to bounce all over the place, and I already replaced the fuel gauge. I have also scrubbed the fuel tank out, and will replace the fuel gauge sending unit gasket, along with the fuel pump gasket. Since I've owned the truck the fuel pump gasket has always had a damp spot around it, so now is the time to fix this annoyance. The temp. was in the mid 40s yesterday and today, and will be up in the mid 60s tomorrow so I will get back to work on it. Oh, the original fuel gauge sending unit looked like it was probably the original from 1971.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks