• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Got my hood strut kit installed today. Man I love this. 10 times easier doing anything under the hood since I don’t have a hood catch to hold hood the open I don’t have to worry about the hood falling on me now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M.Ellis That looks pretty sharp! They seem to hold the hood up almost straight.
It even looks like the wind wind would have to work hard to shove the hood down on your head...

M.Ellis

M.Ellis That looks pretty sharp! They seem to hold the hood up almost straight.
It even looks like the wind wind would have to work hard to shove the hood down on your head...
wind would have to work really hard to drop this hood. Those struts work awesome. All I have to do is lift the hood like 2 inches and it automatically pops up. One of the best mods I’ve done to this truck

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
These:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wonder if the manufacturing company here in Gastonia - the one that builds those little struts - for BMW and Mercedes (for sure) on their American Manufactured cars builds that same piece made here?

Stabilus is the company
Lift-O-Mat is their branding

Long years ago, the kids in the high school marching band worked to serve food etc for their annual company picnic. Always raised a few thousand bucks for the band. First or Second year I remember getting the Tour and I was really impressed with their build facility and quality control.

Can't remember what it was other than a Mercedes sedan, but they used their struts for everything that needed to be lifted or held in place. I think is was more than 30 different locations in the car. Gas Door, Trunk, Hood, Glove Box, and several more that old age has lost from my memory...

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100_0119.JPG 100_0120.JPG 100_0122.JPG 100_0124.JPG With the fuel tank removed, I was able to remove the forward r/h splash guard. It was a bit tweaked, so I straightened it out with a hard rubber mallet and a couple of 2X4s. It had a lot of excess paint that was flaking, so I spent some time with the sander and got rid of the crusty paint. Then I gave both sides a coat of Woodland Green paint, let it dry, added new hardware and reinstalled it. Last is the old Fuel Tank Sending Unit, it looks like the original. I hope to install the new sending unit, and the fuel pump in the fuel tank tomorrow. And if all goes well the fuel tank will go in the truck.

Last edited:

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
View attachment 848355 View attachment 848356 View attachment 848357 View attachment 848358 With the fuel tank removed, I was able to remove the forward r/h splash guard. It was a bit tweaked, so I straightened it out with a hard rubber mallet and a couple of 2X4s. It had a lot of excess paint that was flaking, so I spent some time with the sander and got rid of the crusty paint. Then I gave both sides a coat of Woodland Green paint, let it dry, added new hardware and reinstalled it. Last is the old Fuel Tank Sending Unit, it looks like 1971 vintage. I hope to install the new sending unit, and the fuel pump in the fuel tank tomorrow. And if all goes well the fuel tank in the truck.
Hey! I resemble that remark,,, It definitely looks like a 70's sending unit to me. :cool:
Looking good. Always nice to be able to adjust!

M.Ellis

View attachment 848622 Scrubbed the fuel tank inside and out, and gave the exterior a coat of Woodland Green. Also replaced the gas cap with a new one from Bigmike. Will make a run to NAPA then slide the fuel tank back in the truck.
looks real nice. Like a brand new tank now. I’d like to get an A3 tank one day. Also waiting for Bigmike to get in the locking fuel cap back in stock

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is this time of the year again. Leaves falling, temperatures dropping and snow on the horizon. Queen Lola got tucked away into her winter quarters today.

20211023_133623.jpg

I am always in a slightly somber mood when I put her away. I do miss going for rides in those six months of the year. On the other hand, I cannot see myself exposing the truck to the road salt and harsh vehicle destroying conditions during our winters. I used to go start her up every few weeks during the winter until a diesel mechanic asked me "WHY??? LEAVE THE TRUCK ALONE!" The "advantage" of getting oil flowing inside the engine is outweighed by the strain of cold starts. And he is right. I do not even remove the batteries over the winter, I just switch off the disconnect. In the spring, I press the starter button and she usually fires up as if she had just been parked there for an hour.

Oh, well...it will be April, eventually.

DaneGer21

After purchasing this 1969 m35a2 a few weeks ago I finally decided my new Chevy can sit outside for a month or two while I do some work on it. So, after using my old Ford tractor to push and pull, she’s in the garage. When the wife and I had this garage built, my father in law told us to build it tall enough to have 10x10 doors, his quote was, “Then if you ever buy cool sh*t, it’ll fit.” Well guess what, she fit! Haha

Attachments

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greased up all the Zerks on my Deuce, over, under, front, back, hidden, got them all. My silicon knuckle boots are holding up very well (replaced them last year).
I wish to think I got them all, especially when doing the one on the brake pedal assembly and the one on the pintle, but i am sure I manage to forget one of the..what...42? zerks on a winch truck .

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks