• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your deuce this week?

Dipstick

That's a nice looking Dodge you have there ! Though I would have used a 318cid engine instead. Let's keep a Dodge a Dodge.
What happened to the bed though ?
Well, a Navy shipmate of mine Tom Johnson (an outstanding mechanic) had put a Ford 289 in a 1949 Dodge pickup, so I knew a 302 would fit in my 1952. The little Ford has a lot of swapping advantages. The front sump oil pan clears my straight axle with ease. The exhaust manifolds and starter clear my steering box and frame with room to spare. The Ford 302 is light at only about 460 pounds with an aluminum intake manifold. Ninety pounds lighter than a small block Chevy. Almost 190 pounds lighter than the original Dodge flathead. Weight is an important consideration when you're running manual steering, stock springs and 70 series wide ovals. Ford rebuild and performance parts cost on average more than Chevy parts, but much less than the equivalent Dodge parts. Small Ford V8s are simple and reliable engines. I have so much clearance it's easy to work on or service most any part. Everything is accessible. Small Fords also sound really nice through dual exhausts. Last but not least, I went from 95 stock horsepower to around 250 horsepower. Torque increased from 190 to 300 ft-lbs. The original bed was completely trashed. I'm making a flatbed for him right now. I call my hybrid a Fordge or a Dord.

hgun

Hey guys I got a question a friend of mine is looking at a a deuce and trailer in PA that was used on a farm never titled or registered there for no SF97 just bill of sale. Any ideas on how to get it titled. Can he send for a SF97 somewhere, I’ve heard about titling them in Maine or something hoping you guys can help

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hey guys I got a question a friend of mine is looking at a a deuce and trailer in PA that was used on a farm never titled or registered there for no SF97 just bill of sale. Any ideas on how to get it titled. Can he send for a SF97 somewhere, I’ve heard about titling them in Maine or something hoping you guys can help
You can't get a Form SF97 from an individual and that form is what releases the vehicle from the military to its first civilian owner. The key to getting a title will be a signed and proper bill of sale - and a willing DMV employee. Best way to make that transaction go smoothly is for the buyer and the seller to show up at the counter in front of the DMV employee.

There may be states that will do "Title By Mail" but if you don't live in those states, there is potential for problems.

RedNBlue

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That’s the issue he does not have a SF97 I have bought several things from Gov auction but I got the forms and had no issues but him not having the form not sure what route to go thank you
I recently went through a similar situation. If you or your friend want to PM me, I will gladly share my experience and how I was able to get everything done. Different states may play by different rules, as youre probably aware.

hgun

It wasn’t that hard to install I removed the 2 back corner gusset bolts reamed hole to 1/2”, then put hitch in place bolted both corners down tight that gave me my location to drill my other holes. The ones most forward the front came up under the cross member from the pintle to frame I removed them and pintle installed the bolts and torqued them then reinstall cross member and pintle I did have to source 2.5” bolts grade 8 the carriage bolts were to short and the supplied spacers to fill the gap. Drilling took the longest.

hgun

I just now drained all my diff fluids and transfer case except for the front diff the plug is stripped so I’m leaving it alone I put my finger in the fill hole it came out yellowish oil figured it was full. I’m sure I can chisel the plug out but I’m not to concerned about that now I have to figure out how to put fluid in the transfer case lovely spot for the fill hole lol

ldmack3

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my tranny 99% finished. IPM calls out for a washer under the castellated nut on the output. Mine did not have one so tomorrow I'll make a NAPA run and get that and some lube. Then bolt the top down. Leaving the jack shaft off until I can get the engine mostly finished.

Got my LDS rockers installed. Gotta say I was expecting to see some difference but from every angle I looked I saw no difference in dimensions or angle.
Disappointed at the moment. Wait until I do a test run before calling it a load cr..

New liners installed (2). Wrist pins are kicking my arse. Can't get them to press straight and are extremely tight on the rods. Can't even get them started and I'm afraid I'll press out the new sleeve bearings if I go full bore on them.
May take them to a shop.

But. very productive day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks