• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

Another Ahab

The M36A2 was sold a long time ago..
Last summer I bought and painted a small Dutch built caravan to tow behind my M1028.
OHHHH, I got it now, just a little hiccup in the many subtleties of language:

- in European usage a house trailer is called a "caravan"

- In U.S. usage a bunch of vehicles travelling together (in a group) is what's referred to as a "caravan"

Language is slippery stuff!

Last edited:

RobM36A2

OHHHH, I got it now, just a little hiccup in the many subtleties of language:

- in European usage a house trailer is called a "caravan"

- In U.S. usage a bunch of vehicles travelling together (in a group) is what's referred to as a "caravan"
In Dutch language we call this "karavaan" or "colonne"

Language is slippery stuff!
I agree, language is a bit slippery. You know, English is not my first language, as I am a Dutchman.
In our schools we get taught the British English. All US/forgeign TV shows are subtitled here, so we get a blend of both accents.

Another Ahab

I agree, language is a bit slippery. You know, English is not my first language, as I am a Dutchman.
In our schools we get taught the British English. All US/forgeign TV shows are subtitled here, so we get a blend of both accents.
English might be one of the hardest languages to learn:

- Its weird, it can be understood
through
tough
thorough
thought
though

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Working on fixing this on my M116A3:

Yes, the hub is cracked!

The parts have all arrived now.
Some photos of the new hardware.

Quick question: Should I paint that new hub because it will rust if I don’t?
Painting is unlikely to do anything to hurt it (as long as you don't paint the inside) but if the old one was unpainted then the new one likely doesn't really need painted either.

lfhoward

Painting is unlikely to do anything to hurt it (as long as you don't paint the inside) but if the old one was unpainted then the new one likely doesn't really need painted either.
Thank you. The center part definitely had the military green, but I think it got sprayed when someone painted a wheel while it was on the trailer. It's sort of hard to tell on the rest of it.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recovered my MST7G trailer from a farmer's cow pasture.
I found it a couple of years ago, partially sunk into the ground with a bunch of junk stacked on it, and he finally agreed to sell it to me.

First, we got that big ol' pump off the box, then using various jacks and a lot of cribbing we were able to get it high enough to get Lola (my M1028A2) underneath it and drag it out. The trailer tires had sunk to the wheel rims, but surprisingly both were still holding air.
The diagonal brown area on the front of the trailer frame is the 'dirt line' from where it had sunk into the ground.
Once free from its cramped 'parking space' we were able to get all that heavy stuff off the back of it.

We took it out to firm ground and replaced both tires with newer ones. I wasn't about to haul that thing 100 miles home on those original old dry-rotted Humvee tires!
Along the way the one remaining tail-light broke loose and ended up dangling from it's wires, I got flagged down by a guy in a pickup with Army-Retired stickers on it, who hollered "Hey Marine! Your tail light done fell off!" I zip-tied it up and on we went and had no other problems getting it home. :)

Other than what the data plate shows, it was made by Silver Eagle in 1991, I know very little about these trailers, and have only seen one other that sold on GP back in 2015, which describes it as a 'container trailer chassis'.
Mine has a rear mount for an S788-type shelter on it, so it was perhaps a shelter carrier?
If anyone has any knowledge or pictures, please post it/them.
In the meantime, I've sent an email to Silver Eagle to see if they can share anything.

It does have an interesting type of LED clearance light on it, broken unfortunately.

Cheers

1aa.jpg1ab - Copy.jpg1b - Copy.jpg1c - Copy.jpg1d.jpg1e.jpg0.JPG

FloridaAKM

Picked up another trailer, this one is a Tobyhanna M-116A3 trailer, if that is actually who makes it. I can't find the actual weight of the trailer without the gensets on it. My best guess is about 700 pounds since it is aluminum. This trailer pulls well behind the Toyota, so it will probably get a plate for road usage this month.

Picts don't want to work this morning, so I will just use a GP picture.

Update: 15 February 2020

Now there are two of them, with the newest one being a M-116A3 made by Kasel & having a diesel fuel tank
& filter system. 13 Feb 2020!

For me there is great news after the recovery. The second trailer has a 60 gallon fuel tank & filters on it. The
fuel seemed to be seeping past the fuel cap for some reason(Slight dent in the fill neck surface), that reason
is that it is FULL of clean JP-8 fuel. I don't think it is diesel, but it was for running generators.
No red dye & no algae, that is a big score for me & whoever demilled the trailer was rather lax that day.
2806881_6262_159_0001.jpg

Last edited:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does have an interesting type of LED clearance light on it, broken unfortunately.

Cheers

View attachment 789954
If you don't care about getting the 'look' there are some inexpensive clearance lights over here:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your link has good stuff in it, thank you. (y)

For the MST7G I actually have these, which I sourced off fleabay. Same look as the originals and allow interoperability with my 12v and 24v trucks without swapping anything. I'll use standard military LED tail-lights for the same reason, but I intend to add wheel wells to the trailer, and will move the lights up there for better protection.
I have a set of used Humvee rear wheel wells that might work well on there, if not, I'll fab something up.

Cheers

Clearance-side 5a.jpgClearance-side 5b.jpg

911joeblow

So likely a loaded question (pun intended) but any idea out there how much load you can put on top of the stock bows of a M1102? I am putting a 4 man fold out and pop up tent on top and making stake sides below to contain my dogs in the bed.

allredsd

Today was a great trailer day!

I finally got my lynette out! Whew what an effort!

The first battle was the castle nut... stubborn bugger... went thru a couple wrenches (I couldn't for the life of me find a 1.5" to fit... finally found a 1 ⁹/16 12-pt) but ruined a perfectly good 6' section of 1" black pipe.
20200215_172342.jpg
I did have to cut the castle nut off the end of the lunett... the threads were already gubered so it wouldn't start back on once I got it that far off. My bad... but now I need at least the nut, if not the entire lunette. (Sources anyone?)

It took an 8-ton bottle jack, an entire can of penetrating oil, an entire 14oz propane bottle (torch) and an 8# "fine adjustment tool" and about 2 weeks of effort.20200222_103907.jpg 20200222_124427.jpg. Almost broke a Hi-boy jackbefore I got the bottle jack! 20200216_151545.jpg.
I got my lights converted to LEDs, mounted the tag, and bolted on an extra receiver for the Spitz Lift! 20200222_140356.jpg

I'm actually going to weld 2in receiver under the lunette for a 30k-lb rated drop hitch. I'll post pictures when I get the filler plate cut and welded on.

Next will be the electric over hydraulic controller... and I hope to take a maiden camping trip this weekend, if I can get her towable!

Aussie Bloke

G'day everyone,.....

That's a great idea using the bottle jack,.....

I still haven't been able to remove my lunette but there has been months in between tries.

I'll have to give your solution a go.

Aussie.

allredsd

G'day everyone,.....

That's a great idea using the bottle jack,.....

I still haven't been able to remove my lunette but there has been months in between tries.

I'll have to give your solution a go.

Aussie.
Please be careful! I should have taken the safety chain bolts off - they almost split the wood backer! And I'm sure you know, but make sure the chain through the lunette ring is rated appropriately!

Then it's soak with penetrating oil, heat, bang, and repeat!

Good luck!

Csm Davis

I recovered my MST7G trailer from a farmer's cow pasture.
I found it a couple of years ago, partially sunk into the ground with a bunch of junk stacked on it, and he finally agreed to sell it to me.

First, we got that big ol' pump off the box, then using various jacks and a lot of cribbing we were able to get it high enough to get Lola (my M1028A2) underneath it and drag it out. The trailer tires had sunk to the wheel rims, but surprisingly both were still holding air.
The diagonal brown area on the front of the trailer frame is the 'dirt line' from where it had sunk into the ground.
Once free from its cramped 'parking space' we were able to get all that heavy stuff off the back of it.

We took it out to firm ground and replaced both tires with newer ones. I wasn't about to haul that thing 100 miles home on those original old dry-rotted Humvee tires!
Along the way the one remaining tail-light broke loose and ended up dangling from it's wires, I got flagged down by a guy in a pickup with Army-Retired stickers on it, who hollered "Hey Marine! Your tail light done fell off!" I zip-tied it up and on we went and had no other problems getting it home. :)

Other than what the data plate shows, it was made by Silver Eagle in 1991, I know very little about these trailers, and have only seen one other that sold on GP back in 2015, which describes it as a 'container trailer chassis'.
Mine has a rear mount for an S788-type shelter on it, so it was perhaps a shelter carrier?
If anyone has any knowledge or pictures, please post it/them.
In the meantime, I've sent an email to Silver Eagle to see if they can share anything.

Cheers

View attachment 789949View attachment 789950View attachment 789951View attachment 789952View attachment 789953View attachment 789954View attachment 789955
Nice score, I have a picture somewhere of a Humvee pulling something on one don't remember what was on it but thought it was strange to have a fifthwheel hitch in a humvee. As for the clearance light just change the lens.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice score, I have a picture somewhere of a Humvee pulling something on one don't remember what was on it but thought it was strange to have a fifthwheel hitch in a humvee. As for the clearance light just change the lens.
Thanks. I'd love to see the picture if you can find it! :jumpin:
I've found nothing so far myself. But then, it took me four years to find an inservice picture of the Air Force CMT-F trailers Pawnshop and I bought many years ago. ;)

And I pulled that light - while the lens is glued on, it looks like I could remove it and use a standard replacement if I'm careful. The LEDs are still good.

Cheers

allredsd

Well, another great trailer project weekend!

I got my 2" receiver welded on and painted, and installed an old electric tongue jack! The drop hitch is a little long, I'll probably swap it out for an 8" drop instead of the 12" pictured.

20200308_184842 (Medium).jpg 20200308_184533 (Medium).jpg

I also got the wiring all squared away. I put in a junction box to transition to the 7-way, and added an additional 50-Amp PowerPole cable that plugs into my truck for power. (Fords have a goofy deal with the 12V power on the 7-way, it's too smart for it's own good).

20200308_184857 (Medium).jpg

Now all that's left is to get the EOH conversion done and she'll be a road warrior!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks