• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What did you do to your trailer today.

computer54

This is what I have and it's clean too, but that is what i want to do it too. and found on Amazon a airbed that well fit and outdoor cooking is all that I well have to get for it.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the info and now I have to look at the tires on my trailer and see what I can do to change them because I think they are for a dues.
I assume you meant "deuce". M105 trailers (1.5 ton rated) used the same wheels and tires as deuce and a halfs did (9.00-20 with a 6 lug wheel). M101 and M101A1 trailers (3/4 ton rated) used 9.00-16 tires on a 5 lug wheel. The wheel is the same exterior locking ring style and the tires were the same NDT style - but all very different in size. (~40" tire vs 36" tire, and a 20" wheel vs 16" wheel)

Last edited:

computer54

I assume you meant "deuce". M105 trailers (1.5 ton rated) used the same wheels and tires as deuce and a halfs did (9.00-20 with a 6 lug wheel). M101 and M101A1 trailers (3/4 ton rated) used 9.00-16 tires on a 5 lug wheel. The wheel is the same exterior locking ring style and the tires were the same NDT style - but all very different in size. (~40" tire vs 36" tire, and a 20" wheel vs 16" wheel)
Yes that is what I have. And it's got a full top too.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For tire options, I put Goodyear G177 11.00-20 tires on my M105A2 (the tires are popular choices for upgrades on deuce and a halfs and they fit the stock wheels). The larger tires raised the deck height ~1.5", but it matches my deuce, which was my purpose.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...20s-(dualed)&p=1765977&viewfull=1#post1765977

Basically, whatever tires folks put on their deuce and a halfs, can be used to upgrade the tires on the M105 trailers (Unless you change the axle on the trailer). There may be fender clearance issues. Peashooter put 395/85R20 tires on his M105 to match his deuce camper project.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...Build-Thread&p=1376671&viewfull=1#post1376671

Last edited:

computer54

Ok and thank you, Peashooter pic num 8 has the tire that is on the trailer and you have given me and idea to change them and I well be towing this in back of mt CCUV 2(93 Chevy 4 by 4 w.6.2 l) and I was hoping to change the tires to a 235 75r16 because that is what I have on my truck.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok and thank you, Peashooter pic num 8 has the tire that is on the trailer and you have given me and idea to change them and I well be towing this in back of mt CCUV 2(93 Chevy 4 by 4 w.6.2 l) and I was hoping to change the tires to a 235 75r16 because that is what I have on my truck.
You're very welcome!

In my opinion, the M105 trailer is too heavy of a trailer for civilian pickup trucks because it requires air to have brakes. So even empty it is 2750 lbs of unbraked trailer back there and, even with flipping the lunette, tends to be quite "nose down" when towed.

Unfortunately you won't be putting that tire on your M105 without changing the axle, or getting a wheel with a whole heck of a lot of offset, the brake drums are far too large to fit a 16" wheel/tire.

I'd recommend selling the M105 and getting an M101A2 like Tinstar showed on the previous page. An M101A2 weighs about 1400 lbs empty, has surge hydraulic brakes, hand park brakes, and, I believe, uses 16" tubeless wheels. Warning though, because of the above reasons, the M101A2's generally command a higher price, usually a MUCH higher price than the M105's.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree on the weight and mass of the M105A2.
That is a big heavy trailer just sitting still.
I wouldn’t tow it with my 06 GMC duramax.
Even empty that is a lot of weight with no brakes.
M105A3 would be completely different with its surge brakes.

Also Recommend finding a M101A2.
Perfect size and will fit your truck well and accept same 16” size tire and rim.
The M105A2’s were really cheap to buy but difficult to do much with unless you have a M35/M939 truck.

AntennaClimber did an absolutely amazing camper build with a M101A2.
I’ve seen it in person and it’s the best M101A2 camper build I’ve seen anywhere.
Lots of ideas to incorporate in a build of your own.

DanM7890

I just ordered a custom dexter drop axle(electric brakes) for mine and have started the wiring conversion by changing the front pigtail and swapping bulbs to 12v. I am pulling mine with an F250 6.7L diesel currently and she pulls it well.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just ordered a custom dexter drop axle for mine and have started the wiring conversion by changing the front pigtail and swapping bulbs to 12v. I am pulling mine with an F250 6.7L diesel currently and she pulls it well.
Pulling it is easy.

Stopping, especially a panic stop, is a whole different story.
Regular 3/4 ton pickup brakes can only do so much.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks