• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do Yall think about M820 Van trucks?

Goose2448

I would like to know if some M820's are worth bidding on and what they might go for. They are Van trucks taken apart. They seem to be in ok shape.

Any other info on the M820 would also be nice.

Thanks, Goose

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My recommendation is to do some homework by watching the sales. Since time is of the essence...it ALWAYS is...I would recommend that you price out a similar truck retail. Once you know what they should sell for, figure out what you feel would be a good price at auction. Then, compare that to what you can spend. THe best advice I can give you is not to go over your predetermined price range. Too many guys get caught up in the fever and overpay for their trucks.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
White Owl has a nice one that hasnt been messed up. Try asking them the price for it and use that in your research. If you like the price you just solved the whole thing. -Jay

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just because the price runs up dont mean someone knows something about the truck that would mean its worth more.. some of my best trucks were the cheaper ones

oldMan99

It's interesting to see the support structure without the skin on. Pretty beefy construction, if you ask me.
Where did you see that?

I'm kind of interested in building one as an RN/Camper but I have no idea what they look like inside when closed and open or how they "deploy".

How do they deploy? automatic or manual? how many people are required to deploy (Open/expand) the sides?

Dimensions closed/open?

Any advise about using this model truck for a RV/Camper?

gunboy1656

Where did you see that?

I'm kind of interested in building one as an RN/Camper but I have no idea what they look like inside when closed and open or how they "deploy".

How do they deploy? automatic or manual? how many people are required to deploy (Open/expand) the sides?

Dimensions closed/open?

Any advise about using this model truck for a RV/Camper?
The pic he saw was in a GL ad a while back.

As for opening it up it is done by 2 gears at the back to open the sides out. all done by hand.

Here is a good thread so you can see more pics on it. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/30647-m820a2-home-safe-now-its-time-check-her-out.html

oldMan99

The pic he saw was in a GL ad a while back.

As for opening it up it is done by 2 gears at the back to open the sides out. all done by hand.

Here is a good thread so you can see more pics on it. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/30647-m820a2-home-safe-now-its-time-check-her-out.html
That was a great thread, Thanks!!

It looks like the sides extend out and then the inside walls become the floor and roof. Mechanically pretty much understand that. What I don't see is how that would work as a camper. You would not really be able to take advantage of the extra space unless you made a slide unit that you mount everyting on so that once the sides are deployed you then push the slide into the new space. (Does it actually work like that?)

Also, the OP in the thread you sent said deploying the sides is not really a 1 person job.

What did the military use this type of truck for/what was mounted in it? Judging by the 100amp power cord it was some sort of communications truck?

Sirblissfull

That was a great thread, Thanks!!

It looks like the sides extend out and then the inside walls become the floor and roof. Mechanically pretty much understand that. What I don't see is how that would work as a camper. You would not really be able to take advantage of the extra space unless you made a slide unit that you mount everyting on so that once the sides are deployed you then push the slide into the new space. (Does it actually work like that?)

Also, the OP in the thread you sent said deploying the sides is not really a 1 person job.

What did the military use this type of truck for/what was mounted in it? Judging by the 100amp power cord it was some sort of communications truck?

It was primarily a commo truck/place for the higher ranking officers to have some AC while everyone else was working. Mobile donut shop for MP units.

As for expanding the van solo no its a PITA. Once you crank out the sides you have to manually lift the over head section of the roof WHILE swinging the braces into place. So your holding a 17 foot long 3 foot wide section of ceiling up with one hand while trying to swing out a brace and lock it in place. If your in good shape or like taking risks go for it.

Bad back, shoulder legs for that matter make it likely your gonna get a nose full of diamond plate if you cant get it done quickly.

I am having some fabricators look at ways to turn those fold outs into slide outs, it is not gonna be cheap. I had thought about doing the sliding rack on tracks method. The down side being you would then have to do the maneuvers AROUND the frame up and tracks it was on and in cold weather or snow/rain your gonna have your box open to the elements for a while as your climbing in and out of the truck.

As a rough camper however just a place inside to fold out your cot out of the weather it makes a heck of a bunk house. I am the very proud owner of GoldenEagles truck now and another M820 that I have the lift gate assembly in order to make it into an M820A2. I am doing a RV conversion on one and a hunting truck/bunk house set up for the other.

oldMan99

It was primarily a commo truck/place for the higher ranking officers to have some AC while everyone else was working. Mobile donut shop for MP units.

As for expanding the van solo no its a PITA. Once you crank out the sides you have to manually lift the over head section of the roof WHILE swinging the braces into place. So your holding a 17 foot long 3 foot wide section of ceiling up with one hand while trying to swing out a brace and lock it in place. If your in good shape or like taking risks go for it.

Bad back, shoulder legs for that matter make it likely your gonna get a nose full of diamond plate if you cant get it done quickly.
Given what I have already read, what I pretty much thought I figured out based on the pictures in that thread and what your telling me here, I can see this use. Sounds like this is probably not the box for me since I'll mostly either be alone or with a woman who may or may not be into constructing the living quarters.

I am having some fabricators look at ways to turn those fold outs into slide outs, it is not gonna be cheap. I had thought about doing the sliding rack on tracks method. The down side being you would then have to do the maneuvers AROUND the frame up and tracks it was on and in cold weather or snow/rain your gonna have your box open to the elements for a while as your climbing in and out of the truck.
If a "conventional" RV type slide out could be designed that would be very cool and I wold be all over that, as I bet a lot of others would be as well. As described above, with the inside still exposed to the elements during set up/tear down, no so much....

I have looked for somebody that has a set of plans (and preferably a parts list with suppliers names) on how to take a box (like a military shelter/commo box or a U-Haul type box) and build a RV type slide out into it. So far I have had no luck finding anything at all. I would even be willing to build the entire box from scratch if I had some plans for the slide out part. My biggest concern is weather sealing it. The big RV guys have spent tons of money and lots of time designing reliable seal systems and even they leak sometimes. I don't have the resources they do, I know my slide would leak...lol..

I bet that if one of the current commercial box makers (for delivery trucks and so forth, like Kidron or Morgan) were to offer a selection of insulated boxes with a RV type slide out people would buy it. That would be an ideal way to get a big head start on a home built truck RV. Probably not enough people to make it really worth while for a mass production company but, I know I wold seriously look at one, depending on the price.

As a rough camper however just a place inside to fold out your cot out of the weather it makes a heck of a bunk house. I am the very proud owner of GoldenEagles truck now and another M820 that I have the lift gate assembly in order to make it into an M820A2. I am doing a RV conversion on one and a hunting truck/bunk house set up for the other.
I can see the rough camper idea. As long as your not trying to install shower/toilet and a "real" kitchen it would work. You could even keep a lightweight bunk bed in the box and once the sides were deployed it is easy enough to just push the bed to the sidewall, deploy folding table to two so your stuff is not on the floor, a couple folding chairs and your good to go with a lot more space that you would have had in a non-expanding box. I really need/want a "real" shower and toilet though and I just don't see that working in this particular platform... Unless maybe you have some ideas/suggestions...

Sirblissfull

With the floor lay out as it stands you have room against the cab to install a " Bathroom " the space between the cab and the box is plenty for holding tanks. If your going to use the over cab section for storage or leave the heaters/AC in place then you do not have to worry about blocking this area off.

By using a composting toilet you could even do away with a black water holding tank and there are already vents on the over cab section to use without having to cut more holes. I would plumb the tanks through the lower wall.

My plans however include extending the cab to the box and cutting a pass through so I can just turn around and be in the box. I am then going to move the batteries into the space behind the passenger seat and use duel fuel tanks mounted under the front corners of the box. Reworking the stairs and adding a swing out bottom step or two since my 4'11 wife has a hard time getting onto that bottom step is on the list as well. Tearing out the interior walls and re insulating the box laying in a radiant heating system under a hard wood floor is in the works.

Of course this is all so that my wife can be comfortable. I wanted a nice simple m109 rough camper with a folding table and cot. She said I had to take her and the kids with me so we needed more space.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks