• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you build?

Another Ahab

Phase 2 complete... Don't know how many know but this is being built off grid (that means not connected to any utilities and aren't available), 50 miles from any city and by one person "me".View attachment 874538View attachment 874539
Weldman, that is a work of art (apart from the engineering) in its own right!!

Got a question, and figuring you thought it through, but the possible uplift wind-load on that thing has go to be considerable:

- You got that covered with closing off the ends somehow and all, right?

Another Ahab

and shoved the whole assembly down in the trenches that went down 4.5 to 5 ft back filled with rock before putting poles down.
Some day some knucklehead national Third-Class (among all us knucklehead nations with nukes) is going to accidentally push the wrong button, and after launching is going to say "oops":

- 100 years later when the smoke clears and all the dust settles around the planet

That shed of yours is going to be the ONLY thing standing above grade.

Another Ahab

Yep, I was getting it together but decided it's way too warm to lay a 1376 square feet 5 inch slab out "myself".

Forms, then radon/vapor barrier, which pipes are already buried in the rock, Hercules rebar chairs, 24 OC #4 rebar then the slab all on top of the 3/4" crushed rock.
Placing concrete is bull labor for sure. Maybe offer some high school football team a "real world" experience and feed them lunch in exchange for their labor placing the mix and later on the slab. Hire one good concrete man to direct/watch them. Of course, this might just make trouble.

If nothing else a good chat with your supplier about the mix never hurts. Air-entrained is always a good idea (but newer stuff might be going on and I've been out of the business for a while). You likely even know more than me.

Another Ahab

No football team or of the likes here for getting help, too far out from town as is. Doubt I know more than you if you have done this, I sure haven't this will be my first. Air-entrained is for concrete exposed to the elements last I recalled hearing. Nothing fancy here, just what I described earlier with 4000 psi concrete with fiber-mesh mixed in going to try to get 6 to 7 inch slump to run a vibra-screed I can rent in town with a power trowel.
You know what you're doing, Weldman; and I should have known as much!

Yeah, fiber-mesh was just becoming a thing about the time I wound down my years in the business (and it would seem to be a "no-brainer" for any flatwork). Sawcutting some control joints as a final step is likely on your checklist. Love to see the pics!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks