• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do your neighbors and other drivers think of your CUCV

unaffiliated

@ Digger. Getting paid with Beer and homemade cookies makes me wish I had a plow and lived in snow country. Beer is my favorite drink, besides coffee of course.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My CUCV is my daily driver. My neighbors either really like the vehicles or leave me alone, even though I have a HOA. They see the M1009 in the driveway, and the Mite and MUTT in the garage. Some think I'm nuts - they're right! :lol:

Some know I have an obsession with weapons. They either keep their distance, or invite me into their house to show me their collection! I told the guy across the street I've dreamed of building a machine gun nest complete with barbed wire in the front yard - he thought that would be cool but the HOA wouldn't like it. My wife rolled her eyes. But I digress...

Driving down I-4 in my truck even in rush hour typically creates an interesting scene. I have a buffer of wide open space in front of and next to my CUCV. They give me plenty of room. Driving around town I've observed more than one person start to pull out in front of me to cut me off then quickly change their minds when they see what's coming! I get funny looks and stares in parking lots. The guys I've talked to at work really like my truck.

LeadHead

I moved from farm country to suburbia recently. When I first moved, I had a lifted Chevy K10. So that eased them in. Then came the camo M1009. I think for the most part, people think Army...or Chevy K5. I get tons of compliments at school and work. Nobody really hates it that I know of. I dont really talk to my neighbors though. A lot of little kids love it, and it got me invited in the Armed Forces Day Parade.

I did have one story. There was a husband and wife in the neighborhood playing around and hugging. Then comes day ruiner...me. I come rolling to a stop at a stop sign wearing a shemagh, and they are northwest of me. I poke my head out to look for cars and they stop dead in their tracks and stare until I drive away. Apparently a camo love-machine and a keffiyeh is pretty scary. :smile:

I do love that nobody pulls out in front of me. They cant hold up against my deer slayer!

Next up to terrorize suburbia...Deuce!!
Hopefully I'll be back out in the land though. Concrete jungle is not the place for me.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

My wife loves hers, the neighbors enjoy seeing them, I daily drive them, most people give me a thumbs up but there is the occasional snobby look I get.

ajsmith184

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead.....

Ive only had mine for 2 days...So far, th reaction has been positive. A lot more positive than I get commuting in my 2011 Prius to Metro Detroit....Now THAT has gotten me a lot of negative attention. :roll:

chvss65

mine never complain ,, they know that the store is close in winter,, they love it,, but their dogs bark and I dont blink,,, so works both ways:p:p:p

bshupe

I brought home my first MV (M1031 in 3-color) two weeks ago and the way the parking is in our neighborhood I needed to park the truck outside my cul-de-sac where it is legal to park. I drove the truck every evening/night the first week and got an abandoned vehicle notice to move or impound within 24 hours. I dont think Im being over sensitive in thinking that means someone does not like it. lol

I moved it to the side of my house for now until I can get the issue resolved with the local authorities. The law is that any car parked on the street has cannot sit longer than 24 hours. Where I live, the police never come unless called so Im confident that someone called and complained.

Other neighbors love it though. I suppose the long term answer is to not have neighbors. Any one have a good method for getting all your neighbors to move?

Carpenter

I just got my first cucv last weekend. A 3 color M1028 on a 6" lift. I'm really surprised at the amount of attention this vehicle gets. People come up and talk to me about it all the time and I've already had one offer to buy it.

The neighbors that talk to me like it as do the kids in the neighborhood. I live in a townhome community and it sticks out big time. Oh well, I like it.

My wife says it's really loud when I crank it up at 5:30am to go to work.

rmvivas

Driving my M37 which is Olive Drab but lacks military markings is usually pretty fun.

Lots of folks look and a few of the older guys look really hard. Once in a while some older fellow will see it and you can watch the set of his eyes change, his jaw will tighten and you can tell that for a split second he's back in Phuc Luc Province 1966.

I also notice that lots of older men take -long- -hard- looks at it and a few come over to talk. The converstaion usually goes like this:
Me: How ya' doin'?

Older Guy: This yours?
Me: Yup.
Older Guy: I used to drive one of these back in the day.
Me: Really?
Older Guy: Oh yea, I ran three dinks off a pontoon bridge bridge outside Da Nang once with one of these.

And that was a fairly typical statement from the older crowd. One guy in my company is a Korea vet and said that his advice for starting in the winter was "to pull the choke all the way out to the tailgate". Also, I am relaibly informed that an even dozen Seoul hookers can fit in the back if the troop seats are folded up.

The local hippes/treehugger/prarie fairys (we call them Crunch) haven't been an issue. Let's face it, if you're driving a machine that represents a genocidal, imperialistic group, then by extension, you as the driver, are part of that group and should be given a wide and polite berth ;)

srodocker

sooo i sign the closing papers on my house on monday and move in Wednesday so we'll see the type of responses i get muahahhahah. one of the first things i want to do is repack my axles and redo the seals so up on jackstands it goes hahah

tankie88

Well, being on this side of the pond most vehicles are the size of a shoe box.So i get loads of room on the roads.People avoid me like the plague.Seeing the M1009 is not a common vehicle over here people don't tend to pull out/tailgate or drive slow in front of me.As for her majesties local sheriff they don't bother me either.Even though i run american pressed steel tags instead of the compulsery Brit ones.The neighbours don't bother me anyway.Cos i aint got none.I live where i work(on site) on a industrial park.Plus being 24v i'm good for a jump start on semi's and the like.I,ve never had any bad remarkes from the general public.Just a lot of dropped jaws.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The girlfriend says "come on it'll be fun" I had a flashback of landing on the Nimitz on the COD right out of boot. They had to carry me off the aircraft.
But was it a C1 or C2 COD?

I landed on the America in '81 off Puerto Rico in an OLD C1. The upside is that we both have "traps" and can join the club.

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks