• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What grease do you use?

Amer-team

Go into your favorite parts store and tell them you want the best they have. There isn't much price difference between their premium and standard greases. With this green stuff, it is worth it to pay a few cents more up front and save a lot of dollars on the backside. Just because the government always wanted to go with the low bidder doesn't mean that you need to.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use NAPA wheel bearing and chassis grease.

As far as grease guns go, I picked up one of those battery operated guns from TSC awhile back. Some of the best money I've ever spent. Once you used a battery operated gun you'll never go back. Almost makes greasing a joy to do. I've also found that when greasing doesn't suck so much you tend to grease your equipment more often.

Big Z

I'm not well-learned on grease...I just stick to name brand (mobil 1, valvoline, chevron etc) moly-lithium on most everything. You might wanna run a bunch of cheap general-purpose grease through your zerks to flush out some of the old crap first.

treeguy

What ever the brand I think that we'd all agree that the properties you are looking for (for the REGULAR fittings, not high heat/press.)

1. Tackyness, ability to stick to your parts and not drip off

2. Water resistant, will not turn to snot when exposed to water, (marine grease is a perfect example, ahhh - should I say quality marine grease)

3. Temperatrure thresholds, not solid when cold and not liquid when hot (climate)

Feel free to add to my humble list.
Again this is not in referance to any grease used for wheel bearings or anything else that is exposed to more extreme conditions.

I use a red grease by Lucas which is very tacky and can be found at a hardware store. I'd give you the name but apparently my last tube is in a gun. I also coat bolt threads and mating metal parts with Yamaha blue waterproof marine grease in tub form.

zout

Use to use Amaco Red Hi Tac but cannot find it down here.

FINA - Marson Liplex NLGI-2 Red

great grease that has a great surface tension adhesion to keep from pounding out under loads as well as heat range up to 500 F droping point.

RealCavDog

I use Shell Retinax LC.

It has a very distintive red color, so as I lube new-to-me equipment, I can easily tell when I have flushed the old out and the new is through !

It is also hi-temp, very waterproof, and darned sticky to boot ! It used to come as free samples when you purchased a case of Rotella T 15-40 oil when I worked for Kenworth, and drivers would just leave it because " the company does it for me ", so I had cases of it, and use it everywhere I can find a zerk fitting !

Believe the newer version is called WC, but seems like it is now green, but I still think the red is still made and affordable.