• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done to your 5 ton this week?

smurph

Those panels look like tempered masonite; is that all they are?
No, surprisingly, they are 1/4" plywood. The lower panels really looked like masonite on the outside. A very smooth/slick finish with that very look. But when I removed the panels, the back side was plywood. Maybe they had some sort of skin on them like wall paper. However, the front and rear folding panels were just plain low grade plywood without the smooth surface. knots and grain very visible. I replaced all of the panels with 1/4" sure-ply moisture barrier decking. The finish is better than regular pine plywood but not to the point of looking like masonite.

When the interior was painted white, the paint didn't adhere well to the slick faced panels and it started peeling. You can see some of this on the right door where the original green color is showing through. The rest of the panels from the side doors back is in great shape, so I plan on leaving it in place. I will just sand the flaking paint off, hit the slick face plywood with a DA to rough it up a bit and apply a fresh coat of paint. And then hope like the dickens that it sticks.

sed6

I replaced several burned out dash bulbs.
Began fixing my tach.
Read the TM on how to test my oil sending unit.
Broke loose and then properly torqued all my lug nuts.
Lowered my tire pressure to 35psi in the hopes of a less bouncy ride.

Attachments

Snowtiger

Wow great picture nice truck, now that's how you could really impress the women with a romantic drive in an M923 by a mountain villa with a waterfall cascading in the background. I think I have an idea for combining my truck with my next date, who knows maybe it will work :D

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lost the water pump belt on a trip and had to replace after tow to Pete's. I am never going to trust the water pump belts that are on my 250 Cummins trucks that look go but are dry rotted. This is the worse belt to loose when on a trip. Tec tip don't trust the belts that are on your truck and at least change out the water pump/ assy. drive belt on any new to you truck.

KaiserM109

Cleaned up the mess in the back after the lids from my Home Depot buckets half full of old transmission oil froze and split, letting water in. If that doesn't sound bad to you, think about what happens when you pour water into a container of oil. I probably shouldn't be posting this, in case an employee of the EPA is listening.

' Still having battery problems. It looks like I have bad connections somewhere, so the next task is to clean all the connectors.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed 24 volt AM FM radio and installed my Sirius sat radio. Installed two led lights on bumber for winch operations.

Another Ahab

View attachment 562395Attended an military vehicle rally in the mountains. I brought my oldest truck and it ran like a champ!
Wow great picture nice truck, now that's how you could really impress the women with a romantic drive in an M923 by a mountain villa with a waterfall cascading in the background.
No kidding; that's a nice spot there, Carlo.

Another Ahab

The reason I got the video was to put in a music video I was making:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOpkT9xKAU8
I like your tune, Truckaholic; it's rocking', great fiddle break, good harmonies, and also you all have some pretty funny lyrics in there. [thumbzup]

I'm also liking the opening reference to the "truck pull". There was a great tractor pull song back in the day here by a Local D.C. band called Root Boy Slim and the Sex Change Band. I can't remember which one of his tunes it was. He's got some YouTubes. You might check him out.

And your 5-ton? It's looking great!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Went down and recovered my XM818 that had been living at shepsjeep farm for the last couple of years. Went down last week and did maintenance on it and spent a pocket full of quarters giving it a wash down. While I was there towed shepsjeep deuce back to his house/shop about 10 miles as it has a fuel problem that needs worked on.
Truck ran great on the 1.5 hour trip home, now all I have to do is get it in shape for the MVPA convention in a couple of weeks.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been attempting to do my hood swap with one of the new ones I picked up off the base, but there has been some extreme procrastinating going on. The whole truck will be prepped and painted week after next, weather permitting, and I wanted the hood in place before then. Every time I go to get started on the hood, all these little unecessary projects pop up. One day...

A while back I bought some of the LED Truck-lite parking lights and installed them. They work fine but there were two things that bugged me. They were too directional (no pun intended) and the lens was shiny. They are really bright standing directly in front of them but that quickly diminishes when moving to the side. The shiny lens annoyed me the most though. So...I got the Grote version that has the nonreflective lens and better off-center viewing.

20150605_163626.jpg

Added a shutoff valve to the shutterstat line in the event of a major leak. Yes this could of been shorter but I already had this stuff on hand. If I come across an 1/8" valve I'll take out all the reducers.

20150605_163451.jpg

Made a slave cable coupler...even though I only have one slave cable and no other vehicle to slave from. :p

20150603_220650.jpg

And repainted all the gladhands. No picture necessary. Procrastination at its best...

sed6

I took mine to cars and coffee. A gathering of about 200-300 cars the 1st Sat of each month. Everything from Ferraris to Fords. About 30 kids climbed in and out for pics.

I also sorted out my big toolbox.

I fixed my tach.

I also began my an my hunt for two new shackles for the rear.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks